I hope we have cooler looking cars than this in the future.

amanojaku

Re: I hope we have cooler looking cars than this in the future.

Also they need to deal with cargo capacity a bit. I lot of in city driving deals with getting groceries or other things like clothing etc. This would be a great vehicle to have in the city, though I wouldn't want to be in one if a regular car hits it.

This part was cool: "It's bristling with GPS antennas and motion sensors, so it can autonomously sense possible collisions and avoid them on its own. (And because it can drive itself, you can retrieve it by telling it to come to you.)"

I can see going to work in something like this (though a little more practically designed and a little less cutesy) and then send it off to a parking/recharging building. When you finish work, you call it.

cheers, Mark

This part was cool: "It's bristling with GPS antennas and motion sensors' date=' so it can autonomously sense possible collisions and avoid them on its own. (And because it can drive itself, you can retrieve it by telling it to come to you.)[/i']"

I can see going to work in something like this (though a little more practically designed and a little less cutesy) and then send it off to a parking/recharging building. When you finish work, you call it.

cheers, Mark

The problem won't be with the automation, it will be with the fools with the organic brains (or what passes for brains) who are driving on the same roads as these vehicles.

Also they need to deal with cargo capacity a bit. I lot of in city driving deals with getting groceries or other things like clothing etc. This would be a great vehicle to have in the city' date=' though I wouldn't want to be in one if a regular car hits it.[/quote']

No kidding - I like that they're getting up on smaller, less resource hogging vehicles that are easier to park. But if I can't fit my groceries, or any shopping, in them - you've defeated the purpose of why people go out to places other than work. No one will buy a "commuter car" and a "shopping car" both. If they don't address getting some cargo capacity these ideas will die horrible flaming deaths of stupid.

Maybe they can make a wireless, semi-autonomous cargo car that follows you. You bring it along when you need groceries and whatnot, leave it at home when you don't. That way you only use up the extra space when you need it.

The red one wasn't so bad. The blue one... I think they could make it uglier, but it would take a lot of effort.

No kidding - I like that they're getting up on smaller' date=' less resource hogging vehicles that are easier to park. But if I can't fit my groceries, or any shopping, in them - you've defeated the purpose of why people go out to places other than work. No one will buy a "commuter car" and a "shopping car" both. If they don't address getting some cargo capacity these ideas will die horrible flaming deaths of stupid.[/quote']

Something with a folding passenger seat, perhaps? That two-seater could have a lot more cargo space if you stow the extra seat when you're shopping alone.

The key to making any of these vehicles work is to have roads just for them, excluding all "normal" cars and trucks. I could actually see a city where all gasoline powered/meat controlled vehicles are excluded. You park your car at one of the "park-n-swap" lots around the city and ride in your electric vehicle inside the city limits. You would enter your destination and the vehicle would drive itself. You could have larger electric vehicles for cargo. This is really the only way I see this working.

I have no doubt this could work with today's technology. It's only getting everyone to agree to do it that makes it nearly impossible.

The key to making any of these vehicles work is to have roads just for them, excluding all "normal" cars and trucks. I could actually see a city where all gasoline powered/meat controlled vehicles are excluded. You park your car at one of the "park-n-swap" lots around the city and ride in your electric vehicle inside the city limits. You would enter your destination and the vehicle would drive itself. You could have larger electric vehicles for cargo. This is really the only way I see this working.

I have no doubt this could work with today's technology. It's only getting everyone to agree to do it that makes it nearly impossible.

I don't think that's necessary - these things are not a great deal smaller than the 2 seater Smart car, and you find those everywhere in Europe, including on the motorways and major roads. As gas prices rise, and congestion gets worse, you may see an acceleration of the trends that are already underway. If more cities enact congestion charges but exempt small-footprint vehicles and if gas hits 10 bucks a gallon (neither impossible or even that unlikely in the relatively near future) then the people driving larger vehicles in cities might be in a distinct minority.

Modern cities sprawled as direct consequence of cheap gasoline and government support for widespread car manufacturing. If economic pressures start pushing in other directions, cities will reconfigure themselves accordingly.

cheers, Mark

Maybe they can make a wireless, semi-autonomous cargo car that follows you. You bring it along when you need groceries and whatnot, leave it at home when you don't. That way you only use up the extra space when you need it.

The red one wasn't so bad. The blue one... I think they could make it uglier, but it would take a lot of effort.

So, where will I attach my Little Red Wagon? ^^

La Rose.

There are two different issues here. If we are just talking about carbon footprint then a switch to electric will go a long way toward meeting our goals. No other changes would be necessary.

If congestion is the issue then it will not be solved by these vehicles sharing the roads even with smart cars. Motorcycles are smaller than these segway cars but they do just fine on the roadways. The problem will be the acceleration and top speed differences of the segway car and all other vehicles currently on the road, including the new electric cars.

I will qualify what I just said in this way. Seattle has a program to allow low powered electric vehicles on some roads. These are not much more than the typical golf cart so are closer to the segway car. The idea is to allow people to take them to the local grocery, etc. I have never seen one on the roads but I think they can work, as can the segway cars, where they keep to lightly traveled residential areas. I think the current state of congestion would only get worse if they were to go out onto the main arterials.

It's likely, given that there were apparently versions of that car built with an all-carbon fiber chassis. That is an SLR McLaren, which, ironically, came out in '02 or '03 and was discontinued last year... so it's not a future car. It is being replaced by the SLS.

2011-Mercedes-SLS-AMG-04.jpg

This vehicle is out of my price range.