Where are the Champions going?

Hermit

As I look at the Champions threads about Witchcraft, Nighthawk, and others; I'm reminded of how well they've actually worked as supporting NPCs in my own MC campaign. Naturally, a lot of success for characters is what you put into them once the Role playing gets going, but I can see potiential in them.

An earlier thread discussed how to boost them up, but what directions story wise do you think they'll be taking? For those of you that use the Champions that is.

I can see Defender going lots of routes. He might end up upgrading his armor more and more to keep up with the advancing powers/skills of his compatriots. Eventually, he may realize Harmon Ind itself can be a weapon against crime, and might start wielding it in an almost Night Thrasher/Tony Stark kind of way. I personally hope to play up rivalry between He and Cavalier.

Ironclad... well, I've mentioned the idea of his being AWOL before. Eventually, he is going to have to face his people again, either because they're going to insist he come back, or he's going to hear they're in danger. Heck, he might end up being the catalyst for taking the Champions on a world spanning adventure. PCs could either go along, or stay and guard the "home front" suddenly the main heroic force in MC.

Nighthawk... at first I was going to play him as very in love with Julie Morgan. Now however, I see potiential for her to 'betray him' by pulling a White Tiger accidential secret identity exposure or nearly doing so. Nighthawk is going to withdraw more and more into himself if that happens. While he won't admit it, he clearly needs the team for more than muscle. I'm half way tempted to make one of the VIPER agents that scarred him now a super villain. Vendetta time.

Sapphire- She may go Activist... I can see Cory bringing, of all things, an element of the political to the Champions whether they want it or not. Mutant Rights, hispanic community issues, charity fund raisers, and perhaps even for or against the registration act.

Witchcraft- It's practically written that the first thing she'll buy off is her underconfidence. When she does so, the transformation will be astounding. I can see her facing her inner and outter demons, but only after facing her past a bit more. Eventually a showdown with her sister and she is in the offing.

Kinetik- Finally, he'll be joining the Champions. He will try to "Keep the group real" and focused on the local level, with mixed success. As more black super heroes are in MC and beyond, he may either feel some of the pressure to be a role model for the black community fade a bit, or he might try to organize things.

Wendy Brooks- Eventually, Wendy's wish for powers will be heard by fate, or a super villain. Be it strapping on Defender's spare armor and going "to the rescue" of the Champions, or as part of a plot by Teleios, she'll gain powers. She might end up becoming a villainess in the wrong hands for a time, but I think she'll one day be on the side of the angels.

Defender: He's Tony Stark with the serial numbers filed off and less of a dark side. I'd like to make him a bit more of his own man by playing up his inventor aspect and his knight in shining armor role. Also, the whole "doesn't realize he's attractive thing" annoys me, though I wouldn't go the playboy route either. I see him developing a wider range of vehicles, robots and devices, maybe with a high-tech knight theme. Robo-hounds, robo-hawks, a remote controlled or full android version of the armor (with built in it goes evil plot hook). I see him eventually married to someone not a team-mate, or maybe Sapphire (Witchcraft is too obvious a choice, and her personality as I see it wouldn't lend itself to healthy stable long term relationships).

Ironclad: I just don't have much of a feeling for him. The AWOL scenario looks good. I see him as a still playable but more "alien" alien; he needs the Champions because he has no other way of relating to these fragile, strange, primative humans. He'll hang around collecting dust until he gets a chance to honorably get back to his civilization.

Nighthawk: Rorschach route. He doesn't have much of a life outside of the fight, and he doesn't have fantastic powers or even that much technology. A few good bone breaking encounters with serious villains could leave him near crippled, even if he wins every fight. If he doesn't die heroicaly, he'll go very dark.

Sapphire: I like the "goes activist" idea. It fits the personality quite well. I also see her getting closer to Harmon, and finding ways to make her powers pay. A hollywood film role or two, some jeans and perfume commercials, maybe a playboy layout as she hits her late twenties / early thirties. A self-financed run for political office might be a possibility.

Witchcraft: She has major emotional issues to work out. I don't see her going dark; as written, she should overcome those issues, but she should also deal with them. At best I see her eventually emerging as a hero with an absolutely iron moral code, and not in a wishy-washy new age way. I can see her as the only one who fully recognizes Nighthawks deterioration and tries to do something about it.

The Champions in my campaign are slightly different ... I've added a few old members and made a reserve team like any good super hero team should have ;)

Defender (FRED): I've strayed from the Tony Stark stereotype and slowly moved closer to J. Henry Irons from Superman with a touch of Blue Beetle :) He's slowly going to start loosing his company to a larger science firm and given an option: toe the line or find some place else to work. He'll do the latter, working as a freelance engineer with several contracts with the city and the private sector.

Nighthawk (FRED): I like the idea of his identity getting exposed ... and I think I may take it to the next level, causing him to have severe problems with the public having that knowledge now. In the end, he's probably going to go rogue until he can find some way of containing the situation or coping.

Ironclad (FRED): Having a fellow gladiator in the team (Obsidian) has helped Ironclad feel more at home and at ease. I see him as the Martian Manhunter of the group: someone who's strived to find his place amoung a different species and he's found that with the help of Obsidian. Given time, he'll begin to share his species' technology with his teammates and those that he approves, giving the world some leaps in technology.

Sapphire (FRED): After a stint in a teen hero team, Sapphire returns to the Champions with a newfound responsibility. She now understands what it's like to be a hero and exactly what she needs to do with her popularity. I don't see her so much as an activist, but as someone who supports movements publically :)

Witchfire (FRED): I see her going Raven for an adventure, but, with the help of the team, overcoming the evil and becoming a stronger hero. I see her akin to the Scarlet Witch and the Wasp in the end: a strong leader that takes over the team and helps lead the Champions into a new age.

Kinetik (CU): Brought in with the whole Nighthawk situation, Kinetik adapted as quickly as he moves, taking on the mantle of a Champion with pride. Of all the heroes as I see as an activist, I see Kinetik being the primary candidate, using his roles as a Champion to bring attention to inner-city kids.

Obsidian (BBB): Formerly a prince, Obsidian was abducted and forced to fight as a galactic gladiator. Being freed by the Champions back in the 90s, he fought by their side for six long years until when he took leave and went home. Returning some years later, he found a new group of heroes (as well as a familar face) and has served as a reserve member as well as a training instructor for some of the new breed of heroes in the Teen Champions.

Jaguar (BBB): Being a Champion only for a few short years in the early 90s, Jaguar lost control of his form and is currently being hunted for several cases of manslaughter across the Americas. The Champions have just recently heard of this and intend on bringing in one of their own ...

Quasar (BBB/CNM): Tired of being constrained, Quasar quit the Champions in '98 and has taken to being an independant hero. Since she left, she's learned that it's nice to have friends and, as such, she's taken up being a reserve member of the Champions.

Seeker (BBB/CNM): One of the Teen Champions, Seeker has taken on the role of the yuckster in the group. He loves a good joke and usually slings wisecracks while fighting. His arrogant nature and ability to make people laugh has attracted Solitaire's attention and the two have started a relationship.

Solitaire (BBB/CNM): Another member of the Teen Champions, Solitaire helped the Champions fend off an attack by Demon when their membership was low. Offering her a seat in the Teen Champions, the mage jumped at the chance. She has grown enamoured with Seeker since and seems to have a hidden agenda.

Starburst (BBB): Formerly a Viper operative sent to spy on the Champions, Starburst redeemed himself when he turned against the snakey bunch. Offered a seat in the Teen Champions, Starburst took it and was made leader after his decisive nature.

I know I'm forgetting the dude in CNM that was part demon, but I don't have the book handy. In the campaign, he's actually turned to villainy and joined Demon ... whether this is intentional or some kind of spell is unknown ...

Originally posted by Mark Rand

As I recall, Marvel has been creating "branch offices" for their most powerful team, The Avengers and one old Marvel RPG module had the Avengers franchise program. Would the Champions do something like that?

I don't think the Champions would do something like that because there are already so many superhero teams in the US in the Champions Universe; and the Champions are basically about the weakest of them all. Of the dozen superhero teams already in the US I would think that either the Sentinels (the most Avengers like) or the Justice Squadron (the most JLA like) would be better candidates for franchising out.

As I recall, Marvel has been creating "branch offices" for their most powerful team, The Avengers and one old Marvel RPG module had the Avengers franchise program. Would the Champions do something like that?

In one PBEM I'm in, they did just that. :)

Now, in the 'official' CU, it's unlikely they'd do it anytime soon, for the reasons Monolith said.

Oddly, I figure either the Justice Squadron OR the Sentinels may eventually retire en masse. Sometimes groups, like old heroes, fade away. If they do, I can expect the Champions rising to fill the void.

Monolith, can you tell me where I can find information on these two teams?

Both are mentioned throughout Champions Universe. With issue #13 of Digital Hero Darren Watts, El Presidente, has just started to give us the full history of the Sentinels and some of the write-ups. I imagine the information will run through 3-4 issues of DH before we have the complete write-ups and history of the team.

You can download the entire list of CU heroes and villains in pdf form from the freestuff section here:

http://www.herogames.com/FreeStuff/freedocs.htm

Originally posted by Hermit

Oddly, I figure either the Justice Squadron OR the Sentinels may eventually retire en masse. Sometimes groups, like old heroes, fade away. If they do, I can expect the Champions rising to fill the void.

I think the Sentinels, at least, will never retire. They seem to have a revolving membership where heroes join, live out their careers, and then retire. With both teams being in existance around 40 years it would seem unlikely that they would just retire en masse to me.

Even if those two teams did retire though, I would still put the Bay Guardians and the Peacekeepers as more prominent than the Champions. I know the Champions are the "icons" of the CU, but they really seem to come off, at least to me, as junior grade. Besides, the Champions will not last long. They are being hunted by 95% of all the villains in the Champions Universe. :)

Thanks for the information. I'm creating a campaign set in my home town, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (see the Pittsburgh 5E thread for more info) and I thought a "branch office" team might work. Of course, since we're not in the CU, I can decide that the Champions were formed here by Guardian and Lady Arcane.

• 2 weeks later...

Inexplicably, I was thinking about this thread last night.

if the Champions were a comic book superteam they would grow and change alot. Here is the direction I would take them if I was the "editor/Author"

Defender: James Harmon is paralyzed from the waist down fighting Firewing. (perhaps the same battle on the cover of Millenium City) Using a specially designed light exoskeleton he maintains his secret ID. Coming clean to his parents and explaining what had happened they back him, publically disdainful of his "layabout" son, the elder Harmon bursts with pride over his son's secret. Not willing to leave the city Defender-less, he convinces a friend (a member of Harmon's Security force who James had confided his secret in to aid in the keeping of a double life) This leads to a a Tony Stark/James Rhodes type relationship where James aids the new Defender via sattellite (a la Team Defender). James eventually recieves a nerve regenerative treatment that restores his legs. Deciding to return to the fold the newl- wed (wait for it) James, who had developed a series of defender armors bestows upon his "understudy" a personalized suit of armor, allowing the man to continue his heroic career. No name thought of yet.

Ironclad - Eventually, the Persied warrior returns to his people. I really have very little for him. However, shortly after he leaves the Champions encounter a young college professor who can transform into a large demonic looking being, who calls himself Behemoth. Behemoth works with the Champions temporarily until a more permanent strongman can be found. Behemoth is a 350 pt brick with great size and fearsom countenance. His powers are OHID.

Witchcraft: As mentioned before she needs to work out some stuff. During the course of her journey into self awareness, she disappears. Her friends at the trismegistus council are concerned they send an investigator to help the champions. This young man, his family are longtime allies of the council is a lycanthrope. His were-jaguar form allows him to accompany the team and his expertise in occult investigations help find and rescue Witchcraft. Jaguar offers his assistance whenever it is needed.

(just make the Jaguar form more physically imposing add the DR not vs silver)

Kinetik joins the team early on. WHen a new heroine, Quantum comes to Millenium CIty and basically pronounces herself Kinetik's girlfriend, it creates quite a stir. Quantum and Saphire do not get along at all, and Kinetik is flummoxed by her (the romance is fairly one sided). However, when Saphire is struck by an expermiental "Anti-Mutant" ray and left powerless, she is replaced by Quantum. Kinetik eventually leaves as he is unable to deal with the divisive and obsessive heroine. She really pushes the buttons of the team, eventually driving Nighthawk over the edge and he leaves as well.

During his first tenure as a Champion Kinetik meets a young street ruffian who accidentally gains superpowers during a battle between the MC8 and Firewing. Dubbung himself Firefist, the young man petitions to join the Champions but is turned down. He reacts badly at first and is a short time criminal. Eventually captured by Kinetik and given a serious talking to, Firefist turns back to wards the side of the angels and trains with the Champions as probationary member. He is made a full team member when Nighthawk leaves to form his own team.

Saphire, now powerless finds a little tarnish in her fame, her record sales slip slightly and she has a bout of self doubt. It is during this time that the recovering James Harmon coaxes her into appearing with him at some social gathering. Using her fame and his fortune to aid more mundaine, yet equally worthy causes

this leads to a relationship and eventual marriage. When Sapphire's powers return, she rejoins the team.

Nighthawk, who butted heads with Defender over leadership, took negatively to the "amature" who became Defender after Harmon was injured. He tried to take the team leadership but was rebuked by the others (who wanted to keep the changing of Defender's a secret). Angered by this betrayal. Nighthawk began to think of life outside of the Champions, he started acting alone far more often, and thought many times about starting his own team. His obsession with crimfighting is starting to affect him and he is headed towards the line between crimefighter and killer (a la Thunderbird). Ironically, he is saved by the intervention of a young, idealistic vigilante who used him as his inspiration. Falcon, a physically gifted master of ninjutsu from Australia, encouters Nighthawk when the later has brutalized some criminals, Falcon confronts Nighthawk about crossing the line (none of the criminals are dead but they are all hospitalized) and 'Hawk blindsides him and takes off. over the course of several months Falcon and Nighthawk have (often violent) confrontations over Nighthawks crimefighting style, coming to a head when Nighthawk nearly kills an accused child molester. The man is innocent, and Falcon manages to defeat Nighthawk in hand to hand combat and show him the evidence of the man's innocence. Nighthawk disappears to get his life together and returns to MC six months later a more complete, and human crime fighter. He declines an offer to rejoin the Champions instead leads his own team of more street level heroes.

Obsidian becomes the team's brick. Since his race has been retconned out of the CU. I change the concept to a scientist working on time/dimensional travel. His invention, the "Dimension Cutter" is tested. The scientist nearly perishes as the vehicle lacks protections from the various pocket demensions it travels to as the controlls malfunction. His life is spared only by the fact that the D-Cutter poops out in the dimension of Heliopolis. His dying human form is shed and his spirit is given a new host by the Earth God, Ptah. This form, a gleaming black stone giant, is strong and can command the earth. However, the scientist, traumatised by the series of events, cannot remember it. He merely believes he has been transformed into a rock like giant via quirk of fate. He supresses his powers of earth control save for tunnelling and a melding that prefents his movement. Taking the name Obsidian, he puts his obvious strength to good use as a Champion.

I'm not sure how I am going to work Elaine King, aka Solitaire into the team but I might transform her into a straight mentalist on the run from PSI.

Another Take on the Champions

I don't use the Champions Universe as presented. I already had an investment in the Perrinverse (see my website, URL below) which is based both on the 4th Edition Champions Universe and the DC and Marvel Universes. And don't think I'm not making a lot of use of the HeroClix figures...

I've kept the Champions in New York and made them an amalgam of the current and 4th edition versions. I also changed Nighthawk to Knighthawk, but see my other posting. Right now, my stories are taking place in St. Louis, with the Gatekeepers, so the Champions are just a footnote. Their power level is fairly high, though, and they are effectively filling the Avengers slot, since the original Avengers (or at least the team at the time) were slaughtered back in the 80s. I really should use them, perhaps in my telling of the Champions Battlegrounds story (but see my other post).