From the Tesla files...

Guest Celt

Re: From the Tesla files...

I read the first sentence in the article as "The sorcerer-electricians who have for years been trying..." and instantly became more interested until I saw I'd misread "scientist".

Thanks, though! Now I have a new idea for Fantasy Hero!

Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!

Umm' date=' I think you mean super [i']Hero[/i]. After all, Tesla wanted his inventions to free humanity from bondage to evil monopolies.

In my game he started as a hero but then went nuts after the other major Super-Villains Edison and Marconi stole all his patents.

Umm' date=' I think you mean super [i']Hero[/i]. After all, Tesla wanted his inventions to free humanity from bondage to evil monopolies.

Yeah, and Edison was the one that went around electricuting animals to discredit Tesla's AC power... Edison would make a far better Super Villain.

• 2 weeks later...

In my game he started as a hero but then went nuts after the other major Super-Villains Edison and Marconi stole all his patents.

You can't rally blame him can you ? Does he appear to help the heros thwart the evil plans of Eddison and Marconi from time to time ?

You can't rally blame him can you ? Does he appear to help the heros thwart the evil plans of Eddison and Marconi from time to time ?

That particular adventure was a extra-dimentional/time travel adventure. The PCs kind of made a botch of it with them ending up chased by all sides until they jumped to the next world. Good time had by all:D

Hero or villain, Tesla just had so much more style than Eddison. Tesla's public demonstrations display great panache and showmanship. Of course, his having gone certifiably crazy later in life opens up so many mad-scientist possibilities, he's hard to resist working into a story or game.

Great find. If anyone has any good books on Tesla, especially explaining his inventions and discoveries, I'm interested. For some reason, I have had a hard time finding information about him. It's like he's a bit of an un-person, or at least not popular enough to write books about.

Tesla makes a great character because he was a showman. All engineers and scientists from that era have a strong egotistical streak, and many were more than a little boastful when it came to taking credit for inventions, but Tesla had panache. Sitting there reading a book while great arcs of lightning shoot around is just the sort of thing to entertain people.

Besides, Tesla invented the Atomic Robot. That puts him one up in my book!

While it appears that Tesla was a patent whore that is what they (Edison, Marconi, U.S. Gov) wanted you to believe. He was known as the Wizard of the West and had numerous inventions and late in life even worked with Einstien. The primary reason for everyone's misunderstanding of him came when he developed his "Death Ray" and its successful test for the US Army so scarred them that they didn't want anything to do with it. Tesla then shopped it around the world causing the US to buy the prototype and all plans for it and then shelved it. I read a biography about him that had interviews with his descendants and they believe he was killed by the US Gov and didn't die because of heart attack. I think all this adds to his mysterious legacy.

Great find. If anyone has any good books on Tesla' date=' especially explaining his inventions and discoveries, I'm interested. For some reason, I have had a hard time finding information about him. It's like he's a bit of an un-person, or at least not popular enough to write books about.[/quote']

It's hard to find information about Tesla because he's a foreigner and you know how we feel about them. :rolleyes:

[overly sensitive] No wonder people want to portray him as a pulp villain. [/overly sensitive] :P