Conceptual Idea: A world full of supers

dsatow

Here's an idea I had.

Synopsis: The world becomes full of supers in one day. Not just a lot of supers, but every freaking person in the world has a super power. Granted, some superpowers are a lot less useful than others and the strength of each persons power is different, but everyone in the world has a superpower.

The question I would pose to the HERO community is what would happen?

I am thinking that in countries where the populous is more or less than content with their government, that nation wouldn't change so much. But in oppressive nations, there would be civil wars, city states forming, totally new gangs/houses of super elites. I can see the US and Canada surviving such a turmoil, but Mexico would become shattered as the crime families use their new found powers to take control. What countries do you think might become overly aggressive or have rather unique problems.

The US while surviving would be drastically changed. I would think that in the military, soldiers would begin to be reassigned depending on their powers. Areas with problematic supers (at least greater than the locals can handle) would be tactically attacked by the military supers to maintain the peace. What about peace groups and other social groups? What groups do you think would become militants or victims?

How would social structure change in the United States? Would we become more class stratified? Would we make powerful supers media stars? Worse, what kind of super powers do you think Charlie Sheen, the teen moms, or the Kardashians would have?

Again, this is mostly brainstorming, but I can't wrap enough of my head around it to full create the world so I am looking for ideas.

Re: Conceptual Idea: A world full of supers

A lot depends on the logic you apply. For example, if the classic trope of "Your powers reflect your personality or inner wishes" then things might be at least a bit predictable. Introverts might gain powers like invisiblity. Folks with a temper or great passion might get fire powers. Proud folks might become giants etc. It would soon become a case of wearing your inner thoughts and feelings on your sleeve. "He can grow spikes all over his body? Probably afraid to trust anyone."

A lot would also depend on who is MORE powerful. For example, the US is full of people, most are pretty decent, but all it takes is one group of scum wads, and if they have more powerful powers than anyone else, they become a major problem. A search for those with similar levels of power might be started just in hopes of finding someone who could stop them. If everyone gets the same 'amount' of power though, it's a bit easier. That bank robber with super strength might find himself facing a nigh invulnerable SWAT team so oddly a balance remains.

Oh, as far as powers distribution, at least 50% would have trivial powers (grow arm hair lad, I can turn blue gal), 25% would have minor powers (Disease resistant guy, IR vision gal), 12% would have minor powers with real combat effect (Scaley dude with 6PD resist, Girl with super long tough nails 1d6 HKA), 6% would be sidekick level to the PCs(about 2DCs less than the heroes and 1 CV and SPD less), 3% would be PC strength, 1.5% would be tougher than the PCs (+2DCs, +1 CV, +1 SPD), 0.75% would be much more powerful than the PCs (minor master villain status).

Uniquely, a small percentage would have no known powers (possibly undiscovered or they may not be there). In other words, the normals are the uniques.

A very small portion of the Supers would be major master villain status.

Well, in that case, I can see a few dictatorships arising from that .75% if they pop up in sections of the world where they'd be unchallenged. Cults might form around some, and yeah, evetually celebrity status in most Western Countries might arise. In fact, it might be a check on the government attempts to regulate if you wanted to go that path.

"They want to tear me from my children simply because I can fly and smash tanks, but I don't WANT to smash tanks. Why am I being assumed guilty before proven innocent of a cime no one has commited? Thank you for the 4000 folks on my face book who are writing my governor even now..."- Good looking superpowered guy

"Oh crud, he's popular!"- Politicians in a panic

etc :)

A lot depends on the logic you apply. For example' date=' if the classic trope of "Your powers reflect your personality or inner wishes" then things might be at least a bit predictable. Introverts might gain powers like invisiblity. Folks with a temper or great passion might get fire powers. Proud folks might become giants etc. It would soon become a case of wearing your inner thoughts and feelings on your sleeve. "He can grow spikes all over his body? Probably afraid to trust anyone.".[/quote']

I was just thinking the powers would be completely random.

A lot would also depend on who is MORE powerful. For example, the US is full of people, most are pretty decent, but all it takes is one group of scum wads, and if they have more powerful powers than anyone else, they become a major problem. A search for those with similar levels of power might be started just in hopes of finding someone who could stop them. If everyone gets the same 'amount' of power though, it's a bit easier. That bank robber with super strength might find himself facing a nigh invulnerable SWAT team so oddly a balance remains.

I did think that the powers could lead to that situation, but the whole SWAT team wouldn't be invulnerable. Would they over work the more powerful members of SWAT? Would they draft civilians? Would SWAT go after vigilantes?

I was just thinking the powers would be completely random.

I did think that the powers could lead to that situation, but the whole SWAT team wouldn't be invulnerable. Would they over work the more powerful members of SWAT? Would they draft civilians? Would SWAT go after vigilantes?

I think the government would very much want to try to identiy and regulate those who hold powers, however, western democracies would have a better chance of the individuals not ending up in virtual servitude compared to other government types. Mind you, the governments might offer some huge carrots to promising young superhumans with the higher end power range.

"How would you like your own house, your college education fully funded, and a hot new car... and that's just the start. Interested? excellent. All you have to do is give ten years in our armed forces. This is like the old GI bill..but better"

Oh' date=' as far as powers distribution, ...[/quote']

China

Sidekick level: 80 million

PC strength: 40 million

Tougher: 20 million

Much more powerful: 10 million

United States

Sidekick level: 18 million

PC strength: 9 million

Tougher: 5 million

Much more powerful: 2 million

I don't think the U.S. would be the #1 superpower anymore.

China

Sidekick level: 80 million

PC strength: 40 million

Tougher: 20 million

Much more powerful: 10 million

United States

Sidekick level: 18 million

PC strength: 9 million

Tougher: 5 million

Much more powerful: 2 million

I don't think the U.S. would be the #1 superpower anymore.

So you are saying China would become aggressive and be able to coordinate strikes against other countries? I dunno, maybe. A lot of the population likes its government but there is some problems. I can see issues stemming from the underlying issues of Tiananmen Square, Taiwan, and Tibet.

However, I see your point. For the most part, the really powerful people should be very rare.

If everyone gains powers, the relative strength may stay the same, but equipment and (in some cases) training become much less important.

Currently, an armed and trained SWAT team will easily overcome the same number of average people. If both sides are bulletproof and fire lasers from their eyes, the difference diminishes.

Well, in that case, I can see a few dictatorships arising from that .75% if they pop up in sections of the world where they'd be unchallenged. Cults might form around some, and yeah, evetually celebrity status in most Western Countries might arise. In fact, it might be a check on the government attempts to regulate if you wanted to go that path.

"They want to tear me from my children simply because I can fly and smash tanks, but I don't WANT to smash tanks. Why am I being assumed guilty before proven innocent of a cime no one has commited? Thank you for the 4000 folks on my face book who are writing my governor even now..."- Good looking superpowered guy

"Oh crud, he's popular!"- Politicians in a panic

etc :)

I would totally worship, "I can turn Blue girl"

As a side note, this idea was one of the idea presented in Chmapions in 3D...a supplement for 4th ed. it is quite good and covers a lot of ground. The "All Supers" world only gets a mini writeup, but it gets the point across. I think...like the version presented there...the concept works better as a place to visit than as a full blown PC campaign setting.

As a side note' date=' this idea was one of the idea presented in Chmapions in 3D...a supplement for 4th ed. it is quite good and covers a lot of ground. The "All Supers" world only gets a mini writeup, but it gets the point across. I think...like the version presented there...the concept works better as a place to visit than as a full blown PC campaign setting.[/quote']

I loved that supplement.

Mad Viking World was also a fun snippet. :)

Everyone has super powers? At what age would they appear? Birth?

Think of all the problems for parents. Child proofing the house if little Tommy has flight or teleport? Three year old has a temper tantrum and starts throwing furniture through the walls? How would you make things safe for a child with a rather feeble game terms but fantastic 4 year old power, 3D6 lightning blast “cool mummy what can I hit next”?

Especially of mum is only I can turn blue girl?

Or puberty?

“Well Janice your Billy is 12, what power scale are you hoping for turning blue or powers that are equivalent to Dr Destroyer?”

All bullied children could have a threat “well when my powers manifest and I become powerful I will pay you back for these years of pain!!!!”

I think the heroes main job will not be fighting crime but depending on the manifestation age helping parents controlling out of control children!!!!!!

This does remind me of some of the beginning story from PS 238 (the "wish you into the cornfield" syndrome).

For the effect: Mostly it would make standart supers more..."normal". I don't know how to better describe it.

When more people have powers, having powers becomes less special. There would be "slightly powered" henchmen for good and evil. There might even be organisations to deal with where should "can let plants grow fast"-man work, to make the best out of his "not crimefighting" level power?

Actually there was a skit on Monty Python involving this idea. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, had superpowers BUT a rare few had menial skills. Anybody remember; BICYCLE-REPAIRMAN???

SKIT: This guy dressed like Superman sees someone having trouble with their bicycle, he "changes" into Bicycle Repaiman he then walks over and fixes the bike.

Actually there was a skit on Monty Python involving this idea. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, had superpowers BUT a rare few had menial skills. Anybody remember; BICYCLE-REPAIRMAN???

SKIT: This guy dressed like Superman sees someone having trouble with their bicycle, he "changes" into Bicycle Repaiman he then walks over and fixes the bike.

You mean this?

You mean this?

Yes thats the one...it's a laugh riot ! and it fits this thread too.

Mind you there was also a comic strip in a local newspaper featuring;

PAPER-TONER- MAN !! , the technician of photocopiers

Any situation highly reliant on a balance of power would be thrown way off... teacher VS student, prisoner VS guard, cubicle monkey VS overbearing boss, child VS parent... if the super-power disparity gets too strong in those type of situations there will be trouble. ESPECIALLY if there are mentalist/social/mental powers thrown into the mix... what do you do when your son has 23000 IQ and all you have an indestructable hand?

Also, not every power is good... especially when your kids/students/whatever have them! I'd hate to be a new mother of a child who has 'LS: never sleeps'! and 'Costs 0 END' on Strength and stuff...

Also' date=' not every power is good... especially when your kids/students/whatever have them! I'd hate to be a new mother of a child who has 'LS: never sleeps'! and 'Costs 0 END' on Strength and stuff...[/quote']

My kids already have that power. They also have drain strength, endurance and Stun. All small children have those powers!

:)