Circle and Mete meets MMORPG

Tamashii2000

Ok, as a larc I took one of the old 4th edition character Aureole of Circle and Mete and gave her a bit of a... remake.

Tell me what you think

Aureole

Player:

Val Char Cost
10 STR 0
23 DEX 39
20 CON 20
10 BODY 0
20 INT 10
19 EGO 18
15 PRE 5
24 COM 7
8/15 PD 6
8/15 ED 4
5 SPD 17
10 REC 8
54 END 7
35 STUN 10
6" RUN02" SWIM02" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 151

Cost Power END
10 Eq:Shaman: Elemental Control, 20-point powers
24 1) Spirit of the Wolf: Aid Running 4d6 (standard effect: 12 points) (Custom Adder) (40 Active Points); Costs END Only Costs END to Activate (-1/4) 4
24 2) Raging Strength: Aid Strength 4d6 (standard effect: 12 points) (Custom Adder) (40 Active Points); Costs END Only Costs END to Activate (-1/4) 4
9 3) Turtle Skin: Armor (7 PD/7 ED) (21 Active Points); Costs END Only Costs END to Activate (-1/4) 2
10 4) Drowsy: Suppress: Speed 4d6 (standard effect: 12 points) (20 Active Points) 2
40 5) Frost Strike: EB 10d6 (50 Active Points) 5
21 Endurance Reserve (150 END, 6 REC) (21 Active Points)
Powers Cost: 138

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
Generic Martial Arts
4 1) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 2) Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
5 3) Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 6d6 Strike
4 4) Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 4d6 Strike
3 5) Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 2d6 +v/5, Target Falls
Martial Arts Cost: 20

Cost Skill
3 Deduction 13-
3 Criminology 13-
3 Forensic Medicine 13-
3 Security Systems 13-
3 Stealth 14-
Generic Martial Arts
3 1) Breakfall 14-
2 2) WF: Common Melee Weapons
2 KS: Occult based Groups and Organisations 11-
2 AK: Mystical places 11-
3 Acrobatics 14-
3 Climbing 14-
3 +1 with any three related Skills
Skills Cost: 33

Cost Perk
3 Access (Hidden (-1 to Skill Rolls))
5 Money: Well Off
Perks Cost: 8

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity Frequently (11-), Major
20 Psychological Limitation: Code Versus Killing Common, Total
15 Psychological Limitation: Feels need to prove herself (Common, Strong)
5 Psychological Limitation: Lonely but trys to hide it. (Uncommon, Moderate)
10 Psychological Limitation: Competative with Megan Pierce (Common, Moderate)
20 Hunted: Circle of the scarlet moon 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
20 Hunted: Arch-villian 11- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
30 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Bullets (Very Common)
10 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Emotion/mental based Magic (Uncommon)
5 Unluck: 1d6

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Note: all Powers run off the endurance battery (aka: mana)

Wow!

It's cool to see Circle & METE mentioned again. I used the Circle for a long time and enjoyed it, as did my players. I just wish I could find that book again. Hey, the write-up looks fine to me. Anyone got a spare copy they might want to let go?

Re: Wow!

Originally posted by Tech

It's cool to see Circle & METE mentioned again. I used the Circle for a long time and enjoyed it, as did my players. I just wish I could find that book again. Hey, the write-up looks fine to me. Anyone got a spare copy they might want to let go?

I had to find mine on Ebay....

I'd done the same thing in my campaign (Circle characters were just... odd... constructions).

Wasn't Aureole a force field / desolidification / energy blast type? She was supposed to have been the daughter of a (Golden Age? Silver Age?) hero named Nightwraith.

Do you plan on working that in with your re-write?

p.s., if anyone knows what a "Kor" Hunter was supposed to be, spill the beans -- that's bugged me for a long time.

yes, the original book had her with entirely different powers. I changed them in a strange urge to model a character after some of the Everquest characters I have online. Thats why she's got a EC thats magical - All her spells have to be shaman spells from EQ.

I am going to make Kor Hunter a ranger... haven't decided about the others yet.

Re: Wow!

Originally posted by Tech

Try Noble Knight Games

http://www.nobleknight.com/MiscellaneousPages/homepage.Asp

They got a nice bundle of Ice/Hero products recently.

RPGS-> Hero-> Champions

If they don't have it you can check back every week, they get new stuff every week or so or you can send them an e-mail requesting the item.

They'll need the title and company which they will post in there games wanted section of the e-mail bulletin.

Originally posted by Lightray

p.s., if anyone knows what a "Kor" Hunter was supposed to be, spill the beans -- that's bugged me for a long time.

"Kor" was actually the character's real name; he was originally from an alternate Earth of medieval technology but magical potential. I always got a kick out of the "civilian" name he would sometimes use: "Fletcher Quill."

The Circle has played a significant role in past campaigns of mine, although it evolved into less of a superteam and more of a school for mystics, with senior instructors teaching different magic specialities. In a few games in the mid-'8o's I played Moonsilver as a PC. He's not only a cool character, but a fellow Quebecois. ;)

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

"Kor" was actually the character's real name

How did I miss that all these years?

The Circle has played a significant role in past campaigns of mine, although it evolved into less of a superteam and more of a school for mystics, with senior instructors teaching different magic specialities. In a few games in the mid-'8o's I played Moonsilver as a PC. He's not only a cool character, but a fellow Quebecois.

When my current campaign revival was originally run (years ago) one of the GMs was using the Circle as the basis for his game. It was not really a super-team, more a school too.

They had really bad luck, though -- Gratz tore through them. Now that I've revived things, there aren't many of the Circle left: Megan, Aureole, Moonsilver.

And one of the players can't stand Moonsilver, 'cause he was in luuurve with her PC back in the old campaign. So, he and the Circle don't show up too often. Maybe I'll see about letting them go out with a bang...

Ebonfire always kinda bothered me. He fit in with a school for mystics even less than most of the characters, and there was no real reason for them to have taken him in and grant him powers.

I did use Ebonfire with much of his background intact, but I made him one of the police officers turned into a vampire by Gratz, who gained free will after that monster was destroyed. He became an occult private detective helping the Circle with mystery solving. His vampiric status made his friendship with the monster-slaying Moonsilver even more interesting, at least for me.

Originally posted by Enforcer84

Cool writeup. Are you going to do Ebonfire?

Yes, I intend on doing all of them, in fact I am working on Kor Hunter right now. But I am going to convert thier magic's over to something akin to the 'schools of magic' in everquest (basicly..because i am a geek and have nothing better to do!)

Ok, Here's Kor Hunter.. Took longer than I expected.

As before same basic character.. personality and such..but powers were 'revamped/reimagined' into a 'everquest' style character

Kor Hunter

Player:

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
20/30 DEX 30
20 CON 20
10 BODY 0
18 INT 8
11 EGO 2
20 PRE 10
20 COM 5
10/19 PD 7
10/19 ED 6
6/7 SPD 30
10 REC 6
40 END 0
37 STUN 9
7" RUN22" SWIM03" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 140

Cost Power END
40 Bone Carved Short Bow: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots: OIF (Bow; -1/2)
4u 1) Explosive Arrow: EB 8d6, Explosion (+1/2) (60 Active Points); OIF (Bow; -1/2) 6
4u 2) Black Acrila tipped arrow: RKA 4d6, 16 Charges (+0) (60 Active Points); OIF (Bow; -1/2)
4u 3) LightCrawler Arrow: Sight Group Flash 12d6 (60 Active Points); OIF (Bow; -1/2) 6
9 Light Leather Padding: Armor (3 PD/3 ED)
Ranger Spells
11 1) Mana Reserve: Endurance Reserve (60 END, 5 REC) (11 Active Points)
10 2) Glimpse: +6 PER with Sight Group (12 Active Points); Costs END Only Costs END to Activate (-1/4) 1
16 3) Snare: Entangle 4d6 + 4, 4 DEF (60 Active Points); Does Not Prevent The Use Of Accessible Foci (-1), Set Effect (Hands Only/Feet Only) (-1), Only When In Contact With The Ground (natural earth, stone, and soil only; -1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) 6
20 4) Camouflage: Invisibility to Sight Group , No Fringe (30 Active Points); Only When Not Attacking (-1/2) 3
20 5) Feet Like Cat: +10 DEX (30 Active Points); Costs END Costs END Every Phase (-1/2) 3
14 6) Thistle Coat: Armor (6 PD/6 ED), Limited Power Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (Last 12 seg (1 turn); +0) (18 Active Points); Costs END Only Costs END to Activate (-1/4) 2
Powers Cost: 152

Cost Skill
2 Survival 13-
3 Streetwise 13-
7 Stealth 15- (17-)
7 Concealment 15-
6 +2 with Bow
8 Penalty Skill Levels: +4 vs. Range Modifier with Bow's
2 KS: Flora and Fuana 11-
7 Climbing 15- (17-)
7 Tracking 15-
3 Paramedics 13-
3 Riding 13- (15-)
3 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Bows
Skills Cost: 58

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
10 Physical Limitation: Unfamilar with earth customs/culture (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
15 Psychological Limitation: Naive (Very Common, Moderate)
10 Psychological Limitation: Most hide heroic nature behind Frivolous front (Common, Moderate)
20 Hunted: Oeramm 11- (Mo Pow, Limited Geographical Area, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
20 Hunted: Demon 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
10 Hunted: Circle of the scalet moon 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish, max in catagory of Disadd)
50 Archer Bonus

Disadvantage Points: 150

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Enforcer84

Cool writeup. Are you going to do Ebonfire?

Ebon Fire

Player:

Val Char Cost
30 STR 20
20 DEX 30
25 CON 30
15 BODY 10
18 INT 8
15 EGO 10
15 PRE 5
16 COM 3
8/23 PD 2
6/21 ED 1
6 SPD 30
15 REC 8
60 END 5
44 STUN 1
6" RUN02" SWIM06" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 163

Cost Power END
13 Mana reserve: Endurance Reserve (80 END, 5 REC) (13 Active Points)
10 Eq Wizard Powers: Elemental Control, 20-point powers
7 1) Fingers of Fire: HA +4d6 (20 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 2
30 2) Black Fire Bolt: EB 8d6 (40 Active Points) 4
20 3) Lesser Shielding: FF (15 PD/15 ED) (30 Active Points) 3
9 4) Glimpes: +14 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group (21 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) 2
4 5) Gate: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension) (20 Active Points); Limited Power Only To HQ (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, Character May Take No Other Actions, -3/4) 2
5 6) Shadow Step: Teleportation 12" (24 Active Points); Limited Power Random Direction (Roll 1d6 (1 ahead, 4 behind); -1), Limited Power Random Distance (2d6; -1/2), no Noncombat movement (-1/4) 2
Powers Cost: 98

Cost Skill
3 Bribery 12-
3 Conversation 12-
3 Streetwise 12-
1 WF: Handguns
1 TF: Small Ground vehicles (everyman), Small Motorized Ground Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles
3 Lockpicking 13-
2 KS: Circle of Tunare 11-
1 KS: Occult World 8-
3 Mechanics 13-
Skills Cost: 20

Cost Perk
3 Contact: Streetgang (Contact has: useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity), Organization Contact (x3) (3 Active Points) 8-
3 Access (Hidden (-1 to Skill Rolls))
20 Vehicle
Perks Cost: 26

Cost Talent
3 Lightning Reflexes: +3 DEX to act first with Black Fire
Talents Cost: 3

Total Character Cost: 310

Val Disadvantages
20 Psychological Limitation: Code Versus Killing Common, Total
15 Psychological Limitation: Overconfidence (Common, Strong)
15 DNPC: Younger Sister (Also president of FOXBAT fan club) 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)
10 Curse: Unluck: 2d6
10 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Shamanistic Magic (Uncommon)
10 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY Shamanistic Magic (Uncommon)
15 Hunted: Evil Shaman 11- (Mo Pow, Limited Geographical Area, Harshly Punish)

Disadvantage Points: 110

Ask..and you shall...

I rewrote Ebonfire at one point recently for a NYC based game. The one thing that amused me for days (and proves that I need to get out more and not watch movies made by Berry Gordy) was his reputation to his neighborhood. Medium sized group, 8-

It was called "Catches bullets with his teeth?"

It amused me far more than it ever should have.

• 5 years later...

Re: Circle and Mete meets MMORPG

It might just be my browser, but the character sheets are their with all their html code. Makes it kinda hard to read. Any suggestions?

The Circle was one of my favorite old school teams as well. Some interesting backgrounds and some weird power set ups.