What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow in flight?

Kraven Kor

One of my players is a falconer and has a falcon (actually, a "monkbird" in my setting), and uses it to send messages and such.

So I'm trying to make a good guess at how long it should take for the bird to fly to and from various places.

This site has some rather scientific information on the subject, but I'm not finding much on travel times for migratory birds or anything.

The Monkbirds are actually flying lizards, feathered birds being a rarity on my world. They are about the size of a falcon or eagle, and should have similar speeds, etc.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Re: What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow in flight?

Found an abstract that suggests an osprey should be able to cover 3780 km in 12 days, assuming they don't forage along the way. They say that no-eating along the way is possible but unlikely. Depending on how much foraging they do along the way (i.e., how big a hurry they are in) the travel time for that distance is 17 to 34 days.

EDIT: that's natural migration travel. With human training and direction, you probably could double that speed, perhaps?

Basing them off a Pigeon, I figure the following for a bird that can, on average, fly about 30 mph:

It would need about 14m of flight at speed 3 with x4 Noncombat movement (14m x 4 NCM x 3 SPD x 5 Turns per Minute x 60 minutes per hour = about 50 km/hr; 50 / 1.609 = about 31 MPH.)

Edit: Thanks all!

HAHA, thank you. The racing pigeon got me too. RACING PIGEONS!? Do they allow NOX kits or are those not allowed?

And whatever math works for you, but SPD 3 seems high to me for a birdy, even an evil NOX enhanced pigeon lizard.

Basing them off a Pigeon, I figure the following for a bird that can, on average, fly about 30 mph:

It would need about 14m of flight at speed 3 with x4 Noncombat movement (14m x 4 NCM x 3 SPD x 5 Turns per Minute x 60 minutes per hour = about 50 km/hr; 50 / 1.609 = about 31 MPH.)

Edit: Thanks all!

Even without a noncombat modifier pidgeons are almost as fast as falcons. The falcons have to really struggle to catch up to them. Experienced pidgeons (experienced at dodging raptors) would probably have a SPD 3 or even 4.

Try to catch an average ground lizard and tell me they aren't at least Speed 3 (I'd say more like 6... Grew up trying to catch those little buggers' date=' fast as sin.)[/quote']

Owning lizards - it depends:

Blue Tongued Skinks have a SPD1.

Chinese Water Dragons have a SPD8, come with Teleport & Climbing, and crank in around DEX 75.

Owning lizards - it depends:

Blue Tongued Skinks have a SPD1.

Chinese Water Dragons have a SPD8, come with Teleport & Climbing, and crank in around DEX 75.

Plus Martial Escape!

• 1 month later...