Champions Beyond

Here's the back-cover text for CBY:

SUPERHEROING AMONG THE STARS!

Evil and injustice aren’t confined to Earth. It’s a big galaxy out there, full of threats and enemies for superheroes to battle. Champions Beyond is your guide to outer space, other planets, and aliens in the Champions Universe — worlds and worlds of adventure! It includes:

—a review of humanity’s history with aliens, including information on and Templates for the alien species humans have encountered

—a look at what’s happening on the Moon and the planets of Earth’s solar system

—a detailed description of Malva, the most advanced planet in the Galaxy, including the famed Malvan Arena and its super-gladiators

—information on the major alien menaces currently confronting humanity: the Hzeel, the Qularr, the Gadroon, and the Elder Worm

—a description of the Star*Guard, the Galaxy’s greatest defenders of justice and freedom

—the secrets of the Galaxy revealed, including information on aliens humanity hasn’t met, the secret origin of the Progenitors, the truth behind Selenus, and more

Get ready for new worlds of cosmic adventure with Champions Beyond!

Price: $34.99

ISBN: 978-1-58366-135-2

SKU: DOJHERO1106

• 1 month later...

Re: Champions Beyond

Is Champions Beyond availible in dead tree format?

I ask as I don't see it in the HERO Games store availible as a book, just a PDF.

Also searched Amazon for good measure and didn't see it listed their either.

• 1 month later...

Is there much overlap between Champions Beyond and the 5e sourcebook' date=' Galactic Champions, or are these completely different books?[/quote']

The overlap is slight. The Galaxars are described in more detail, with more examples, in CB. And the Star Staff stuff is definitely much more detailed. But CB is set in the 21st Century and GC in the 30th. I think the two sourcebooks are fairly compatible, though, for example if you wanted to run a 21st Century GC game the material could be combined with little difficulty.

GC and CBY are definitely compatible, but as megaplayboy says, there's very little overlap between them because they focus on very different time periods. Though with CBY now in hand I could easily expand GC and bring it a bit more in line with what's in CBY, for the sake of consistency, if the opportunity ever arises. I considered reprinting a bunch of GC stuff in CBY, but CBY was already large enough on its own. :)

GC and CBY are definitely compatible' date=' but as megaplayboy says, there's very little overlap between them because they focus on very different time periods. Though with CBY now in hand I could easily expand GC and bring it a bit more in line with what's in CBY, for the sake of consistency, if the opportunity ever arises. I considered reprinting a bunch of GC stuff in CBY, but CBY was already large enough on its own. :)[/quote']

Much appreciation for the clarifications. Now I need to add Galactic Champions to my collection!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to say I hate Steve Long......:mad:

I was boycotting hero products until the CVIII hardcover came out. Unfortunately, at the FLGS today I picked up Champions Beyond. It was a really good book so I had to buy it. Lots of good fluff and adv ideas, a lot of archetype like stuff (GL, Nova Corps etc deja vu) but different enough to be interesting. The Gadroon chapter made me actually interested in the Empiress book coming out. I would say the best Herogames "Cosmic" Book yet.:thumbup:

Darn your good writing and your little dog too....:thumbup:

Only negative.....it referenced CVIII for Galaxia.......:doi:

Tommy

GC and CBY are definitely compatible' date=' but as megaplayboy says, there's very little overlap between them because they focus on very different time periods. Though with CBY now in hand I could easily expand GC and bring it a bit more in line with what's in CBY, for the sake of consistency, if the opportunity ever arises. I considered reprinting a bunch of GC stuff in CBY, but CBY was already large enough on its own. :)[/quote']

I've already found lots of elements in Champions Beyond that will easily allow me to adapt many characters from Galactic Champions to the present-day CU. Not canon, but it works for me. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Is this a sourcebook, e.g. Champions? Or it it more a "universe" or setting book, e.g. Champions Universe?

Just wondering as I am not keen on the setting books (I do custom settings) but I like picking up the sourcebooks for the additional rules, powers, ideas, etc.

thx.

It IS a setting book, BUT given the high power levels of some of the NPCs contained therein, and the detailed treatment of various alien races, it's also potentially a good sourcebook for getting ideas and examples for writing up cosmic NPCs, alien cultures, etc. If you combine it with Galactic Champions, you wind up with a pretty good sourcebook for running futuristic/cosmic/sci-fi supers campaigns. You could probably toss in Champions Powers and most of the Mystic sourcebooks(Ultimate Mystic, DEMON, Arcane Adversaries, The Mystic World) to have the rudiments necessary for "Epic Level Champions". :)

• 8 months later...

The book writes up three races used as mobs in the online game: the insectile Qularr, reptilian Gadroon, and the CU's answer to UFO "greys," the Hzeel. It also has an extensive writeup for the hyper-advanced, hyper-decadent throneworld of Malva. Since Malvans are that old Space Opera conceit of a race that can (and does) have sexy times with humans, they're rather less distinct. There's also a single Xenomorph character. (Aliens Aliens with an empire) and some details for other races either detailed or mentioned in other campaign books.