Half Human/Half Snake Character

TheNaga

Should character with the body of constrictor have clinging? Is you say yes then what should the Str Level and limitation of the clinging be? What would be the best way to the Forked Tongue and Polarized Eye Filters listed below? How do you do poisons? Also would have the character being cold blood be a good to give him some advanatages and disadvangates and make for goo rpging??

Polarized Eye Filters: Effectively built-in sunglasses that automatically tint as a response to strong light. Filter and reduce glare. Cost: 20,000 dollars.

Forked Tongue (Chimera): The character has a forked tongue similar to most snakes. By continually flicking the tongue in and out, the character is able to taste the air around him in a way mammals cannot. The information from this tasting of the air gives the character a sense of the environment. Abilities: Track by taste alone 60% +2% per level. Identify common odors 90% +1% per level. Identify specific taste 70% +2% per level (+10% if common)

Cold Blooded: On the up side, this means he cannot be distinguished from the background temperature by infrared sights, thermal vision or heat sensors and functions without fatigue, physical stress, dehydration or difficulty in temperatures up 120 degrees of Fahrenheit. On the down side in temperatures between 40-62 degrees Fahrenheit, the cold-blooded character becomes sluggish. Reduce Spd. By 20% -1 attack per melee round, -1 on initiative, and -1 to dodge. In temperatures between 20 and 39 degrees Fahrenheit, triple the penalties plus the character suffers 1d6 points of damage for every hour o f exposure. Temperatures below 20 degrees, the character suffers 2D6 damage per hour of exposure, is immobilized, curls up wherever he can and lapses into a coma-like state. Cannot revive from the coma-state until temperatures of 80 degrees of higher for 1D4 hours and will remain in a sluggish state for 1D4 hours thereafter unless air temperature is above 95. If the temperature is between 63 and 79 degrees it will take twice as long to recover.

Re: Half Human/Half Snake Character

The nictating membrane thing might be worth a point or five in Flash Defense. The tongue thing sounds like Tracking added to Smell. Cold Blooded could be Invisibility to Infrared Vision. plus a Physical Complication: Cold Blooded (points worth depends on setting, I suppose ...)

Should character with the body of constrictor have clinging?

No. Why would it?

edit: Just saw Christopher's comment, and he has a very good point. Such a good point I may reputize him for it. Maybe you SHOULD have Clinging.

How do you do poisons?

In Hero, there is often no "way you do" something - one person may build poison one way, and another may use another way. However, I think a lot of people would agree that a Drain vs BODy, doing Damage Over Time, on Charges (a snake can have only so much venom) and Linked to a Killing Attack (Bite) with a Limitation, only takes effect if the bite actually does at least 1 point of BODy damage.

Polarized Eye Filters: Effectively built-in sunglasses that automatically tint as a response to strong light. Filter and reduce glare. Cost: 20,000 dollars.

You say "effectively built in" but then add a price. Is this an inherent power of the character, or an item of equipment?

For that matter, is this for a character in a Heroic or Superheroic campaign?

In any case, the Power in question is Flash Defense. The question is whether it takes the Focus Limitation, and whether the character pays for it in points or in money.

Forked Tongue (Chimera): The character has a forked tongue similar to most snakes. By continually flicking the tongue in and out, the character is able to taste the air around him in a way mammals cannot. The information from this tasting of the air gives the character a sense of the environment. Abilities: Track by taste alone 60% +2% per level. Identify common odors 90% +1% per level. Identify specific taste 70% +2% per level (+10% if common)

Look under Enhanced Senses. What you'll want is the Tracking Adder for the Smell/Taste Sense Group, and possibly Discriminatory for the same.

Cold Blooded: On the up side, this means he cannot be distinguished from the background temperature by infrared sights, thermal vision or heat sensors and functions without fatigue, physical stress, dehydration or difficulty in temperatures up 120 degrees of Fahrenheit. On the down side in temperatures between 40-62 degrees Fahrenheit, the cold-blooded character becomes sluggish. Reduce Spd. By 20% -1 attack per melee round, -1 on initiative, and -1 to dodge. In temperatures between 20 and 39 degrees Fahrenheit, triple the penalties plus the character suffers 1d6 points of damage for every hour o f exposure. Temperatures below 20 degrees, the character suffers 2D6 damage per hour of exposure, is immobilized, curls up wherever he can and lapses into a coma-like state. Cannot revive from the coma-state until temperatures of 80 degrees of higher for 1D4 hours and will remain in a sluggish state for 1D4 hours thereafter unless air temperature is above 95. If the temperature is between 63 and 79 degrees it will take twice as long to recover.

This is an interesting combination of abilities and disabilities for a character. Definitely something to talk about the Game Operations Director with, but the most "book legal" way to get what you want is probably Life Support for extreme heat, with a Limitation "only up to (specified temperature)" which should probably cut the cost down to 1 pt. Then apply a Physical Complication and/or a Susceptibility to extreme cold.

Lucius Alexander

There's more than one way to skin a palindromedary

Well' date=' Clinging counteracts thigns like tripping on Ice-sheets, being shoved and being knocked back - al things a long body could protect against.[/quote']

Knockback Resistance with the sfx of being heavy covers most if not all of that too.

Knockback Resistance with the sfx of being heavy covers most if not all of that too.

Yes, and in addition to Clinging (with a "Not for Movement" Limitation) it does it even better. And even if the character is not relevantly heavier, he could use the tail to "brace" himself against an attack.

What Organization should I have make him?

Assuming I have understood the question:

Out of the billions of people on this planet, I can think of one and only one who might have a chance of giving you the actual correct answer to your question.

That is the person running the game you are playing in or planning to play in. If what you are asking is what organization - IF ANY - your character would be a member of, that depends on what organizations actually exist in the character's game world, and that's not up to any of us.

L. Marcus is correct in so far if 1) your game is set in the "standard" "Champions Universe" or something close to it, and 2) this character is a "villain" by temperament and outlook, there is a snake-themed organization called VIPER that would love to have him.

Or you could play him as a hero and if the game is set in, say, Boise Idaho, and he would by default want to join the only other two superheroes in Boise who make up the Boise Defenders.

On the other hand, if it's a fantasy game, your snake-man may be part of a whole species of such creatures and you may have a choice of tribes or clans to belong to. Or his people could be relatively asocial and not form large groups and he's totally solitary unless and until he joins up with the other player characters.

Or it could be a science fiction game and, again, he's part of a whole species of such creatures, but with a dozen different worlds he could be from and a dizzying array of possible affiliations....he could be part of the Kordite Legion (a veteran's association he is a member of as ex-military) AND the S'sleesdakka Clan (member by birth, gives him connections on several planets to his extended family) AND the Zelazar Faith (religious affiliation) AND the Order of Maltar (subset of the Zelazar who take certain vows of chastity, restricted diet, and regular meditation) and of course a crewman on the spaceship he's currently serving aboard as a mercenary.

The thing is - We. Don't. Know. You need to talk to the person running your game, if you're in a game. If you have no game to join yet, then it's entirely up to you to imagine the answers to these questions and then eventually adjust them to fit into a game or see if someone is willing to incorporate the things you have imagined into their own world.

Of course, it's also possible we have misunderstood your question.

Lucius Alexander

Disorganizaed palindromedary

L. Marcus is correct in so far if 1) your game is set in the "standard" "Champions Universe" or something close to it' date=' and 2) this character is a "villain" by temperament and outlook, there is a snake-themed organization called VIPER that would love to have him.[/quote']

Not what organization he is part of Lucuis, but what organisation made him.

... Are we talking the Supers genre' date=' or what? If Champions, then VIPER. ^^[/quote']

Three alternatives:

Dr. Moreau - he is know for his manimal creations and that they tend to escape him. Posibilly a Contract Work for Viper

Teleios - he is know to expirement both in human cloning/DNA manipulation and animals/dinosaurs, but Human/Animal Hybrids are so far out of his shtick. Not that this means he doesn't use them or tried them once.

Random, not really succesfull Mad Scientist that got turned in by the creature he created. I used this aporach to re-create an alien species in a world without aliens.

Theses asume a scientific background. He coul easily be the product of magic experimentation (Demon, Circle of the Scarlet moon) or the avatar of some snake themed god.

Of course, it's also possible we have misunderstood your question.

And sure enough, I did misunderstand.....

Not what organization he is part of Lucuis, but what organisation made him.

I feel dumb. Thank you. I thought the original question was just grammatically awkward but no, it says what it means perfectly and the lack of clarity was my own.

Okay, now that I know the real question: The answer is basically the same. We Don't Know. Ask whoever's running the game for ideas. The only thing I'll add is, maybe no one "made" him at all. Even if you're playing a superhero game, a snake-man could be an alien, mutant, or the like.

Lucius Alexander

A mutant alien who was raised by palindromedaries

Or Coil.

Gorgon is already a half human and half Snake villain.

Powers extra strength in Tail for grapples / knocking people over etc, fangs, under water movement / survival, knock back resistance due to heavy (but I would also include it as extra contact with ground/ friction as well as weight SFX) no clinging mentioned, stretching (as several m long tail) etc.

My group is finding she is a bit of a tough cookie at the moment!!

I would allow Knockback powers if a character can demonstrate "stability to knockback" and it is not just weight for knockback so it could be Knockback -6 (only from a "designated front" -1 limitation) 3CP.

So if the character is hit from a point where they are ready they get KB. So from the target they are attacking and anything from a similar direction. From behind they would not get the KB. Basically you do not have to weigh several hundred kg to get KB.

• 3 weeks later...

Forked Tongue (Chimera): The character has a forked tongue similar to most snakes. By continually flicking the tongue in and out' date=' the character is able to taste the air around him in a way mammals cannot. The information from this [i']tasting of the air[/i] gives the character a sense of the environment. Abilities: Track by taste alone 60% +2% per level. Identify common odors 90% +1% per level. Identify specific taste 70% +2% per level (+10% if common)
I hope I'm not spoiling things with an overabundance of knowledge, but what snakes are doing here isn't tasting the air. The tongue collects the air (in tiny amounts, of course) and draws it into the vomeronasal organ (also called the Jacobson's organ), whose opening is located at the front of the mouth.

The vomeronasal system (let's call it VNS for short) is found in all snakes and lizards, plus in most if not all mammals. Even humans have one, though in our case (and, I think, in most primates) the opening is in the nasal cavity.

Its function is as a highly specialized sense of smell. For us, it primarily detects pheromones and other scents of which we're not conscious; for snakes, it specifically detects scents related to its prey.

The only way an ability like this could work as described would be if the character had a serpentine VNS opening into his mouth, either in addition to or in place of his human one. A serpentine VNS would give something like +4 to the Smell Sense Group regarding animal life (which would include humans, as well as dead meat).

If the serpentine VNS replaces his human one, then he probably also has lots of defenses against pheromones and such (which I'd represent using Smell Flash Defense and/or Power Defense, probably in the range of 30-40, with appropriate Limitations).

I hope I'm not spoiling things with an overabundance of knowledge, but what snakes are doing here isn't tasting the air. The tongue collects the air (in tiny amounts, of course) and draws it into the vomeronasal organ (also called the Jacobson's organ), whose opening is located at the front of the mouth.

The vomeronasal system (let's call it VNS for short) is found in all snakes and lizards, plus in most if not all mammals. Even humans have one, though in our case (and, I think, in most primates) the opening is in the nasal cavity.

Its function is as a highly specialized sense of smell. For us, it primarily detects pheromones and other scents of which we're not conscious; for snakes, it specifically detects scents related to its prey.

The only way an ability like this could work as described would be if the character had a serpentine VNS opening into his mouth, either in addition to or in place of his human one. A serpentine VNS would give something like +4 to the Smell Sense Group regarding animal life (which would include humans, as well as dead meat).

If the serpentine VNS replaces his human one, then he probably also has lots of defenses against pheromones and such (which I'd represent using Smell Flash Defense and/or Power Defense, probably in the range of 30-40, with appropriate Limitations).

He has the best features of venomous and constrictor snakes and a human male.

How should I do his ability to constrict like a constrictor?

Should it have enhanced reach with his lower body if it is eleven feet long.

Also what feature should he have that I missed?