Zero-G Martial Arts

Ragitsu

Re: Zero-G Martial Arts

There are actually a couple of zero-G martial arts styles that have been published.

The "standard" zero-G martial art is in HSMA (not sure of the page reference without my book here at work). Basically, it's supposed to represent a ship-board combat style for military personnel used to zero gravity.

My favorite zero-G martial art is Zero-Ball from Adventurer's Club #24. It's for 5th edition instead of 6th, but the changes are minimal and it's accompanied by an excellent little discussion of how zero gravity adjusts the effects of some Maneuver Elements.

There's some discussion in this thread here:

www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/79585-Martial-Arts-iiinnn-ssspppaaaccceee!!!-Which-style-is-flexible-enough?

In post #34 clsage references this martial art: http://www.wolfram.demon.co.uk/rp_ch_om_2336_cair_b.html

The rest of the thread seems to be discussion of what would work in zero-g and what wouldn't.

The "standard" zero-G martial art is in HSMA (not sure of the page reference without my book here at work). Basically' date=' it's supposed to represent a ship-board combat style for military personnel used to zero gravity.[/quote']

Page 235 in HSMA 6E. Includes Environmental Movement Zero-G. Additional "Weapon Elemets" are "in Armor" and "in gravity". But it does not include a single Strike effect Maneuver

Page 235 in HSMA 6E. Includes Environmental Movement Zero-G. Additional "Weapon Elemets" are "in Armor" and "in gravity". But it does not include a single Strike effect Maneuver

Anything that causes knockback is problematic in zero-G, so strike maneuvers aren't normally included in zero-G martial arts styles. One variation I added in my SF campaign was skill levels to offset the OCV penalty for pulling a punch: less Body rolled = less knockback, which is useful for zero-G combat. This simulates the effect of hitting an opponent in vulnerable areas to cause as much pain as possible (doing lots of Stun) without using overwhelming force.

I realize there are "Nerve Strike" NND martial maneuvers for this, but IMHO they're underpowered and fail hard in actual use. Pulling a punch does more Stun (unless the target has LOTS of PD) with the same OCV penalty.

My favorite zero-G martial art is Zero-Ball from Adventurer's Club #24. It's for 5th edition instead of 6th' date=' but the changes are minimal and it's accompanied by an excellent little discussion of how zero gravity adjusts the effects of some Maneuver Elements.[/quote']Christopher added the info for the standard zero-G martial art from HSMA, so I'll just add the info for this.

On page 38 of Adventurer's Club, Issue #24 (Summer 1994), they describe Zero-Ball, a sport played on space stations and aboard starships. Extremely violent, it's developed into a full-contact martial sport. The extensive Explanation of Maneuvers section covers a lot of detail on changes the effects of Maneuver Elements due to zero gravity. For instance, "target falls" makes no sense in zero-G; the effect on the target is the same as a fall, however - half-DCV until the target takes a half-phase to reorient himself.

the idea that you grab with one hand' date=' and punch wit the other, not letting them get away[/quote']

That is the way even the Nerve Strike is build in 0-G Martial Arts. The problem would be that you need enough power to compensate your your own punch + the mass of the target.

How about adding Taser weapons to the Weapon Elements?

Would have to be a Armor Piercing Taser - enemys will very likely wear at least a survivial suite, more likely a Space Suite or Space Armor (wich must be durable).

Plus, this is a Close Range Martial Art and Tasers are ranged weapons.

Would have to be a Armor Piercing Taser - enemys will very likely wear at least a survivial suite, more likely a Space Suite or Space Armor (wich must be durable).

Plus, this is a Close Range Martial Art and Tasers are ranged weapons.

Not all tasers are ranged weapons.

Though technically I guess they are called stun guns.

electric_stun_gun_product15.jpg