Clever Future Weapons

CorpCommander

Re: Clever Future Weapons

Amusingly despite the paens of praise in terms of simple weapons' date=' it's the guys with the fancy complicated weapons who seem to dominate the battlefield. To quote the world-conquering victorian soldiers "[i']Whatever happens we have got, the Gatling gun and they have not"[/i]

cheers, Mark

You've got to strike the right balance between "fancy complicated" and "can operate when dirty".

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got to strike the right balance between "fancy complicated" and "can operate when dirty".

Yeah. One of the things that stuck with me is the different attitudes of combat soldiers and roleplayers. Roleplayers will argue endlessly about calibre and muzzle velocity and such. People who have seen combat seem to be more interested in mag capacity, how easy it is to keep clean and weapon weight. I also recall being shown one of the first Steyr AUGs to turn up in New Zealand (at university the father of one of our players was warrant officer at a nearby army camp and one of our players lived on base, so we were there fairly frequently). The thing that most impressed him? A transparent mag, so you could check how much ammo you had left. :D

cheers, Mark

It's all about use. Most of the Deputies I know carry Glocks, because they're issued. They were issued because they require little maintenance and are very reliable. Some of the tactical shooters I know use heavily-customed rigs. Some of these people are the same people. They don't compete with their service weapons, because accuracy is more important in competition than ease of maintenance.

When I asked deputies about what gun I should buy, they recommended the Glock or the XD, because they are easy to maintain, and the polymer is hard to ding the way metal is. The competitors all recommended the Sig Sauer. All of them recommended the .45 caliber.

I picked the XD over the Glock because the XD holds ten rounds in California, and up to fourteen everywhere else.

It's all about use. Most of the Deputies I know carry Glocks, because they're issued. They were issued because they require little maintenance and are very reliable. Some of the tactical shooters I know use heavily-customed rigs. Some of these people are the same people. They don't compete with their service weapons, because accuracy is more important in competition than ease of maintenance.

When I asked deputies about what gun I should buy, they recommended the Glock or the XD, because they are easy to maintain, and the polymer is hard to ding the way metal is. The competitors all recommended the Sig Sauer. All of them recommended the .45 caliber.

I picked the XD over the Glock because the XD holds ten rounds in California, and up to fourteen everywhere else.

I have set my sights (pun intended) on buying myself an XD 5" .45 ACP Service Model with Thumb Safety and 13+1 Round Capacity. IIRC all the stats. But the one Gunsmith/Gun Store that I've been going to says they still aren't available. :(

I have set my sights (pun intended) on buying myself an XD 5" .45 ACP Service Model with Thumb Safety and 13+1 Round Capacity. IIRC all the stats. But the one Gunsmith/Gun Store that I've been going to says they still aren't available. :(

??!! I have the 5" tactical .45 ACP with 10+1 even here in Kalifornia! Is it because they're coming out with the XD(M)?

Well, it's going to be my first gun, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to be extra safe. The grip and trigger safetys are both operated in the course of normal operation of the gun (gripping & trigger pull), but the thumb safety is outside of that envelope -- which is another reason why I want it.

Well' date=' it's going to be my first gun, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to be extra safe. The grip and trigger safetys are both operated in the course of normal operation of the gun (gripping & trigger pull), but the thumb safety is outside of that envelope -- which is another reason why I want it.[/quote']

The XD was my first handgun. It's safe enough for California, which means it has gone through the drop test. No complaints here about extra safety, though. :D

Clone Beam: this is a powerful deep sensor array that scans the weapon subsystems of an enemy starship and, if it encounters a weapon it has not seen before, recreates it via nanotech and/or matter transmutation tech, inside the vessel carrying the clone beam.

Tachyon Disruptor Beam: this is a beam designed to disrupt FTL drives, shielding and internal power systems. It is noteworthy in that it is usable at FTL speeds

Cluster torpedo and SuperCluster torpedo: This is essentially a MIRVED missile/space torpedo weapon. At about half distance to target, it is capable of launching up to 30 independently targeted warheads which seek out viable targets. It may also retain all the warheads for a bigger boom. The SC torp is essentially a larger version which contains 30 entire Cluster torpedos--great for wiping out hordes of pesky fighter craft.

Pulse Cannon: fires rapid, short to medium range "slugs" of superheated fusion plasma or alternatively, high intensity radiation.

Slave Beam: psionic beam which controls the voluntary and involuntary nerve impulses of everyone on the targeted ship. Can be disrupted by regular force fields, thick armor and psionic shielding

Omega Sphere: this is something akin to a starship sized sphere of annihilation, it can be guided to some extent by a tractor beam, and is highly effective at "eating" its target. When two or three of them are steered to converge, a cataclysmic explosion akin to a collision of modest-sized black holes occurs

Nuclear Pellet Gun: a very rapid fire close defense weapon firing irradiated hyperdense pellets at high speeds against incoming missiles and fighter craft

UltraHighVelocity Strategic Bombardment Railgun: a kilometer long, 1 meter diameter weapon system which electromagnetically accelerates a massive 10 kiloton projectile to a velocity of 100-150km/sec leaving the barrel, where it is then boosted further by a high-powered tractor/pressor beam to velocities up to about one quarter of light speed. Causes massive damage to planetary targets.

Quantum Explosive Device or QED for short: a slim metallic suitcase contains a device which can be "dialed" to release a portion of innate vaccuum energy/micro-singularity collision/zero point energy(insert soft sci-fi concept here), ranging from one that disintegrates everything in a 1 meter radius to supernova-sized blasts of quantum fury.

Alpha wave weaponry: puts targets' brains into alpha wave state, basically a sleep gun.

Railgun, Automatic, Magnetic Pistol/Automatic Grenade Ejector (RAMPAGE): Designed for slightly oversized power-armor equipped Space Marines, this is an over-under arrangement of a 30-40mm railgun firing nano-carbide shelled, teflon-coated, depleted uranium (or "neutronium"(any kind of hyperdense sci fi material)) at near-escape velocity (about 10km/sec), and an underslung 50mm grenade launcher firing plasma and/or FAE and/or pure fusion device grenades at anything dumb enough to be within scan range.

"Bliss Beam" --at low settings this simply stimulates the pleasure centers of the target, at higher settings it also disrupts the part of the brain responsible for inhibition and impulse control while ramping up libido.:eg:

One Doctor Who episode during the Tom Baker era had the pacifier gun' date=' which temporarily removed the target's aggressive tendencies.[/quote']

sadly, this idea was also in an episode of "Bewitched" called "Samantha's Secret Saucer" that first aired 18 April 1968. The aliens had "kindness guns."

Go here

and move slider to about 2:30

So, Maelstrom, tell me about your aunt Melissa and her electric rifle? :rolleyes:

Me, I'll stick with the FN GP35 in 9mm - with Federal Hydra-Shok ammo.

I'd also go with the Rob Arms XCR-L assault rifle. See www.robarm.com for further details (if the blasted link works. I still don't know how to link from site to site).

So, Maelstrom, tell me about your aunt Melissa and her electric rifle? :rolleyes:

Me, I'll stick with the FN GP35 in 9mm - with Federal Hydra-Shok ammo.

I'd also go with the Rob Arms XCR-L assault rifle. See www.robarm.com for further details (if the blasted link works. I still don't know how to link from site to site).

I've never heard anything all that positive about the 9mm as a combat round from anyone who's had to use a 9mm weapon in combat.

Our local SO uses the MP5, with JHP rounds, and they do ok. Of course, marksmanship has a lot to do with it. In the James Bond game, they point out that Bond's first weapon was a .25 Beretta -- a purse gun -- because it was easy to conceal. Not a lot of stopping power there; you'd have to be really good with it.

If you're using a 9mm, that might only make them mad:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/teeth.asp

Weird stuff happens in wars. My dad served with a guy who was creeping forward at night when the Germans tossed a grenade at him. He heard something land on the ground near him felt around frantically in the dark: and ended up putting his hand on the grenade, just as it went off!:eek:

He suffered lacerations to his palm and temporary deafness and that's it.

I, on the other hand, took a .22 to the head and spent a week in intensive care, another week in hospital and two weeks bedrest, plus another operation a couple of years later. There ain't no justice.

cheers, Mark

Weird stuff happens in wars. My dad served with a guy who was creeping forward at night when the Germans tossed a grenade at him. He heard something land on the ground near him felt around frantically in the dark: and ended up putting his hand on the grenade, just as it went off!:eek:

He suffered lacerations to his palm and temporary deafness and that's it.

I, on the other hand, took a .22 to the head and spent a week in intensive care, another week in hospital and two weeks bedrest, plus another operation a couple of years later. There ain't no justice.

cheers, Mark

If you'd have spent your points on Luck, it would have turned out differently.

If you'd have spent your points on Luck' date=' it would have turned out differently.[/quote']

Actually, I got sick of people coming up and telling me how lucky I was, while I was in hospital. I got shot at point blank range and the slug punched a hole in my temple. I was rushed to emergency surgery where they cut a big chunk out of my skull to allow brain swelling and then to remove the slug. The second operation was to take the plate out some time later to allow the bone to grow back: I still have a big ol' dent on that side of my head. Still, I wouldn't be around if the bullet had continued in - instead the slug ricocheted off the shattered bone and kind of skidded along the inside of the skull, eventually coming to rest up against the superficial temopral artery (back by my ear). A fraction of an inch more and I would have hæmorraghed to death in a couple of minutes. A fraction lower and it would have penetrated the parotid gland, either leaving my face partially paralysed or again leading to serious (possibly fatal) intracranial bleeding. Basically the slug ended up in virtually the only place, where it wouldn't do me lasting damage. That was pretty lucky.

In fact, although I was squirting blood like a stuck pig, I was actually up and functional in less than 20-30 seconds, so I figure that's combat luck in action - a potentially fatal wound downgraded to some BOD and enough Stun to take me to -1 to -9.

I should have just bought more :D

cheers, Mark

It's none of my business, so feel free to remind me of that, but:

Where you being shot AT, or was it an accident?

Accident. I've told the whole gory story before on the boards, but the short version is, my younger brother had been out shooting earlier in the day and was goofing around with a rifle he was sure he'd unloaded.

The amusing part was after he'd plugged me and I'd toppled over fountaining blood from my head, he ran outside to where my dada was working in the garden and shouted "Dad, Dad! Somebody's shot Mark in the head and he's dead!" :D

cheers, Mark

Accident. I've told the whole gory story before on the boards' date=' but the short version is, my younger brother had been out shooting earlier in the day and was goofing around with a rifle he was [b']sure[/b] he'd unloaded.

The amusing part was after he'd plugged me and I'd toppled over fountaining blood from my head, he ran outside to where my dada was working in the garden and shouted "Dad, Dad! Somebody's shot Mark in the head and he's dead!" :D

cheers, Mark

I guess that quick thinking shows he's not completely stupid. :) But I really hope he got a very, very good (painful?) lesson on gun safety after that. He violated rule #1 of guns, after all.