Welcoming Women Who Game

Lucius

Re: Welcoming Women Who Game

I'm already sort of tackling a Sex and the Superhero essay, though I don't make much distinction between "Golden Age," "Silver Age," and "Everything else," so it's more encompassing all aspects of romance and sexuality in superhero comics. I may tackle Erotic Horror, Post-Holocaust, and "supernatural" sex as well.

What do you think is missing from my "Sexual Combat" system to make it workable for you'd like in a RESIR system?

thanks. Offhand, I couldn't say, but I think it could be "plugged in" to a system that would handle things from initial interest all the way to parenting and divorce. Maybe there should be a set of options for handling resolution of physical intimacy, ranging from "hand wave it" to "RP it out" to "simple dice roll" to having a set of special stats, ala the Social Combat rules, for handling it(I think your system is headed in that direction).

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly sure what you are saying here, Christopher. Of course, she knows that the sex in films (the non-X-rated variety anyway) is not real, so if that is what you are referring to then mission accomplished. Are you saying that saying that I need to explain to her how sex as it is depicted in film is unrealistic? Boy that could be an awkward conversation. IMHO, for the most part sex lives up to its hype. Not information that I really wish to share with my daughter though.

Please better clarify your position so I can respond to it with less conjecture.

You said: "It's a problem that media uses so much sex to sell".

I said: "It's not that the media uses it, it's that there is a lack of information".

Now you said: "it would be to akward to talk about it", wich proofs my point about the information.

As long as the parents say it's forbidden/disencouraged, it will be interesting. And lack of information only builds desire to aquire informations (I find lack of information extremely frustrating, so I asume do others).

So the problem is not the media, but that we are unable to really talk about it, disencourage it and try to hide informations about it.

1. Romance in the Age of Chivalry--Courtly Love and romantic subplots

2. Romance in the Swashbuckling Era--Pirate romance and Aristocratic seduction

3. Victorian era romance...and debauchery

4. Pulp Era romance and spicy stories

At least the richer parts of soceity should be able to prevent pregnancy with some reliability:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_control#History

9. Post-Holocaust romance and sex

"Let us repopulate the world, honey".

10. Sci-Fi/Space Opera romance and sex

Interspecies atraction/interbreeding become an issue, even more than they would be in Champions. Because everybody could meet an alien fairly easily. Same for Androids/Robots.

Depending on the biological differences the relationship could be forcefully plantonic (there is only so much you can do, when your partner has a body temperature of 200 °C and is based on silicon).

16. Gods' date=' Aliens, Elves, Vampires, Demons, Angels, and alternate romantic, erotic and sexual lifestyles[/quote']

As I said earlier, I think the only thing that maters for atraction is "percieved confident". Each of your examples tends to be (by human standards) exeptionally confident. So atraction is only naturally.

But what about the counter-example: A race that is so "uncertain" about itself, that it regards even humans as "super confident" (and the others as simpyl overwhelming/out of their league) and is atracted to humans?

20. How to Roleplay a Character of a different Gender' date=' Orientation, Culture or Species[/quote']

It's the small things that make a good play. How they measure time (not everyone uses orbital periods). Perhaps how they think about totally "normal" human things*.

When there is anything written about that species, do your homework.

*I know a lot of unusual gendered species. The implications of that on their entire culture can be fundamental.

Rather than directing traffic to the intimacy, romance, and sex thread, this thread seems to be absorbing overflow from it.

Oh well, might as well go with the (over)flow.

*I know a lot of unusual gendered species. The implications of that on their entire culture can be fundamental.

Got any phone numbers?

Lucius Alexander

Some of them may even have something in common with the palindromedary

Rather than directing traffic to the intimacy, romance, and sex thread, this thread seems to be absorbing overflow from it.

Oh well, might as well go with the (over)flow.

Got any phone numbers?

Lucius Alexander

Some of them may even have something in common with the palindromedary

I don't mind if there's "overflow" here, so long as it's relevant to some of the stuff I listed, and so long as stricter standards are applied here than on the harder-to-find, heavily-disclaimered thread. If people are more comfortable discussing romance, dating, relationships and RPGs here, great. If some people aren't comfortable discussing any of it, anywhere, that's okay too(I guess).

You said: "It's a problem that media uses so much sex to sell".

I said: "It's not that the media uses it, it's that there is a lack of information".

Now you said: "it would be to akward to talk about it", wich proofs my point about the information.

As long as the parents say it's forbidden/disencouraged, it will be interesting. And lack of information only builds desire to aquire informations (I find lack of information extremely frustrating, so I asume do others).

So the problem is not the media, but that we are unable to really talk about it, disencourage it and try to hide informations about it.

Nope. I'm not hiding information. I have had plenty of awkward conversations with my daughter. I just do not want to sex to become even more pervasive in the media than it is already. It would amount to saturation advertising for a product that doesn't need much advertising.

Also, more sex in the media would not lead to more information. It would lead to more disinformation. That is unless you consider your standard action movie a good place to learn about firearm safety.

* My apologizes for having a NGD discussion outside of the NGD.

I'm already sort of tackling a Sex and the Superhero essay, though I don't make much distinction between "Golden Age," "Silver Age," and "Everything else," so it's more encompassing all aspects of romance and sexuality in superhero comics. I may tackle Erotic Horror, Post-Holocaust, and "supernatural" sex as well.

What do you think is missing from my "Sexual Combat" system to make it workable for you'd like in a RESIR system?

I had a thread I started a long while back called something like "Sex and the Single Superhuman" in the Champions forum you might find has some useful nuggets of info.

A sex system at its most detailed would probably feel a bit like a subset of the new Social Combat rules, since it would start socially (with attraction and initial contacts) and then get to adjudicating physical intimacy (just how good a kisser is the character? how good in bed? etc). Procreation and pregnancy would probably be the final stage. My two cents.

If I didn't know better, I'd almost think that women were actually content with men as they are and unable to think of anything they'd wish to improve.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary's suggestions aren't worth considering.

I like what you are doing with this stuff.

Thanks. I think.

So' date=' correct me if I'm wrong...[/quote']

Much of the time, Mister E, I simply do not know what you are talking about.

imho' date=' in the future, both men & women (as sexes) will go extinct before men & women (as genders) do. [/quote']

I think I know what you're saying and you may even be right.

...("T-M": dom-heterosexual males)...("T-M": sub-homosexual females)...("T-M": sub-heterosexual females)...("T-M": dom-homosexual males)...

Here I'm not sure what you're talking about, but in so far as terms like "dom" and "sub" apply, I would think the fembots and mandroids would be submissive and the owners or clients dominant.

The fembot has KS: Carnal Knowledge, and PS: Concubine.

Such skills are omitted from the mandroid deliberately. The mandroid is delivered in an innocent and virginal state, ready to be instructed by the woman in whatever he needs to know and do.

So the stock fembot programming is active whereas the stock mandroid programming is passive. Is this more irony or what?

First, let me say that I find the active/passive dichotomy to be simplistic and, to say the least, inadequate.

I'm just trying to give men what they seem (on average) to want: a sexually adventurous female who responds passionately to his erotic lead and never, ever says no; and to give women what they seem (on average) to want: a male that no other woman has touched or ever will, literally incapable of responding to another woman let alone making an advance on one.

There was no deliberate irony in this, nor would I categorize either as "active" or as "passive." I would describe both as "responsive" albeit perhaps in different ways.

Lucius Alexander

Running palindromedary software on palindromedary hardware

I'm just trying to give men what they seem (on average) to want: a sexually adventurous female who responds passionately to his erotic lead and never' date=' ever says no; and to give women what they seem (on average) to want: a male that no other woman has touched or ever will, literally incapable of responding to another woman let alone making an advance on one.[/quote']

As far as relationships go, this sounds like my definition of the worst possible relationship.

A realtionship should be "because I want to be with you". Not, because "I can't be with anyone else" or "I cannot be without you".