Timemaster, Time Travel, and Time Ancor.

steriaca

In my mind (and sometime in the future), I plan on doing a new 6th edition version of the clasic 4th and lower villian Timemaster. As a 'reimagining', I view his suit of armor not as a time machien (the machien would be in his own time period, the year 3000...yes repeat it with me as if you were watching Conan O'Brion...In The Year 3000!), but as a device which prevents him from snaping back to his own time period unless he wants to 'snap back'. Because of this, he shoulden't have a 'Focus' limitation on his powers (takeing off even a small piece of his armor would disable the ancor and send him back). So, how should this be built, that any breach of the armor could send him back to the future, where he would have to spend time fixing the armor befor coming back?

For him, he can't exactly hit the right time he needs to be for his plans (which are to manipulate events in our time which would benifit himself and make him Ruler of Earth and Beyond). He is limited to the time periods of 1930's to 2020 or so (depending on how events play out in 2012), and in theory any time period where magic exist (cause that is how Mr. Long says about superpowers...feal free to ignore that fact ;) ).

Re: Timemaster, Time Travel, and Time Ancor.

How about Physical Manifestation and Focus?

He needs an intact armor or he cannot travel (or immediately snaps back) - Focus

And a broken armor in the field also stops the power - Physical Manifestation

Could propably be done as Disadvantage (it's like involuntary change on steroids). Depending on his power level, damaging his armor could be the only way to defeat him.

I would say that the character would have some sort of physical limitation. No better yet give the armor a side effect -1 1/2, set effect timemaster always return to home time when damage (body) is done. But as I write this, the simpler approach might be edm(time-home time) trigger set when body is done to armor. See which one you like.

How easy is it to actually damage the armor? Do we speak about 20 AP' date=' or an armor with 60 AP and 20rPD/20rED?[/quote']

I haven't wroten him up yet...(think normal 6th edition attacks and a PD/ED strong enougth to withstand most, but not all of a typical attack).

Humm, triggered when BODY is about 4 or below sounds nice, but triggered is an advantage, which this is not supose to be. Prehaps Physical Limitation (Returns to normal time if armor is damaged) and a Physical Manufication on Armor.

If you make the armor a Durable OIF, it would take twice its base PD or ED value to inflict damage on the armor itself (as opposed to the guy wearing it), which would avoid having to set an arbitrary BODY trigger point or having the villain go zipping back to the future anytime someone with an Armor Piercing attack or good dice roll clocks him one.

I haven't wroten him up yet...(think normal 6th edition attacks and a PD/ED strong enougth to withstand most, but not all of a typical attack).

Humm, triggered when BODY is about 4 or below sounds nice, but triggered is an advantage, which this is not supose to be. Prehaps Physical Limitation (Returns to normal time if armor is damaged) and a Physical Manufication on Armor.

One reason why I brought up Involuntary Transformation, because an armor damage means instant defeat. Maybe you could write it up as Vulnerability. Once the heroes get how it works, he basically has an "instant loose" button.

In fact once the heroes get it, he might easily get "useless". Once he pops up, the heroes hit him with a (penetrating or Armorpiercing) KA targetting the Armor and he is gone in the first phase...

So you would need some effort to make him a viable foe again (blocking the character with the one attack that can damage his armor for example, or stun him first).

I think this is a good design for a recurring villain. As Christopher says, it would initially be an easy win for the heroes once they discover the trick but that allows them to easily defeat the villain then he has to think about how to get round it and the meetings become a challenge for the heroes to work out how to send the villain back each time - a puzzle rather than a fight. like Superman fighting Mr Mxyzptlk :)

I am in favour of this being a physical limitation of the villain.It is pretty physically limiting to only be able to act in the game context if an item on your body is physically intact....

Doc

I think this is a good design for a recurring villain. As Christopher says' date=' it would initially be an easy win for the heroes once they discover the trick but that allows them to easily defeat the villain then he has to think about how to get round it and the meetings become a challenge for the heroes to work out how to send the villain back each time - a puzzle rather than a fight. like Superman fighting [b']Mr [/b]Mxyzptlk :)

I am in favour of this being a physical limitation of the villain.It is pretty physically limiting to only be able to act in the game context if an item on your body is physically intact....

Doc

Yes...and considering that he does have (or will have, once I write him up) a built in Entropie Ray (RKA, NND (Regeneration, Time Control Powers)) which he rairly uses (he is afraid to cause a big enougth change in the time stream to basicly harm himself...he dosen't have Coad VS Killing but is afraid of 'The Butterfly Effect' (the theory, not the movies)), his SPEED Drain power (still debating on keeping it or junking it), AND a small VVP (to better simulate Krang The Conquer, who comes to the past in each encounter with a new weapion or two), he could still be relatvent.

And there is always pitting him agenst other heros also.

...of course, Captian Cronos would know about the ancor effect. But will he tell?

Anotehr idea to make him interesting (after discovery of his weakness):

What if the characters don't want him to leave? They could need him subdued, or an item he has (and would take along).

Humm...another way to make him relavent when the heros already discover his 'go away button'. What if thay need the Entropie Ray to destroy something which can not be destroyed any other way. And that thing would be able to destroy the Earth if not destroyed itself.

Will, there be some factor that prevents Timemaster from coming back to the moment his armor was damaged? Though it would be hilarious of the players kept banishing him over and over in the same encounter only to have the, increasingly frustrated, would be master villain return to with different plans and weapons each time.

Will' date=' there be some factor that prevents Timemaster from coming back to the moment his armor was damaged? Though it would be hilarious of the players kept banishing him over and over in the same encounter only to have the, increasingly frustrated, would be master villain return to with different plans and weapons each time.[/quote']

Kinda like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P72Z-ItUuaw