Steve Long, Thank you

JmOz

Re: Steve Long, Thank you

I unederstand what you mean. I tried to write a book, even paid for quality art. When it was done I put it on the web only to find it a year latter and realize how horrible the editing was.

Now I am back to Hero/Fuzion. Quality writing is not just hard it takes talent.

I also would like to thank you steve for quality.

I unederstand what you mean. I tried to write a book, even paid for quality art. When it was done I put it on the web only to find it a year latter and realize how horrible the editing was.

Now I am back to Hero/Fuzion. Quality writing is not just hard it takes talent.

I also would like to thank you steve for quality.

Link?

TB

Writing is definitely a learning process. The more ya do, the more ya learn. I've been writing professionally (part time or full time) for nearly 20 years, and I think I still learn something new with every book I write. One of the reasons I've been working on writing some fiction is to stretch my "writing muscles" even further and learn more. ;)

Heh. Sounds like somebody's hit the wall in making their own book for the first time. Head down' date=' JmOz- the only way out is through. I for one would very much like to see what you come up with! dw[/quote']

Agreed -- it's always good to see what someone comes up with when they power through all those roadblocks and get their first book done! :)

guilty as charged. I have so many ideas' date=' but getting them the way I want it is hard.[/quote']

Oh, man, I have so been there. I still hit the brick wall when I write. If I had to do this for a living, I'd be starving.

If I had to do this for a living, I'd be starving.

There are reasons why so many professional RPG writers don't actually write RPGs for a full-time living. ;) Not only is the money usually pretty iffy, but that sort of concentrated creativity can be tough. For example, by far the toughest books I've written for Hero are probably The Turakian Age and The Atlantean Age -- having to sit down and create dozens and dozens of kingdoms, each of which is somehow unique, interesting, and cool, really taxes my creativity. Coming up with lots and lots of NPCs (like in a villains book) is much easier.

Writing is definitely a learning process. The more ya do' date=' the more ya learn. I've been writing professionally (part time or full time) for nearly 20 years, and I think I still learn something new with every book I write. One of the reasons I've been working on writing some fiction is to stretch my "writing muscles" even further and learn more. ;)[/quote']Interesting. Since I haven't had a consistent gaming group in over a decade, I actually buy most Hero books (CU and related) for the fiction. I don't even follow comics like I used to but I can't wait to find out what has happened in the Champions Universe.

Writing is definitely a learning process. The more ya do' date=' the more ya learn. I've been writing professionally (part time or full time) for nearly 20 years, and I think I still learn something new with every book I write. One of the reasons I've been working on writing some fiction is to stretch my "writing muscles" even further and learn more. ;)[/quote']

I'd certainly agree with that. I've been writing and editing professionally for more than 20 years now, though not in the RPG market.

I'd say there can get to be something of a plateau. You learn very quickly in the first few years. After that comes a period of refinement, by which I mean you hone your existing skills, rather than develop new ones.

Stick with one form of writing and you start to get a bit formulaic about it. I too write some fiction in my limited spare time, not really with a view to publishing (I don't have time) but more to stop myself becoming stale.

There are reasons why so many professional RPG writers don't actually write RPGs for a full-time living. ;) Not only is the money usually pretty iffy' date=' but that sort of concentrated creativity can be tough. For example, by far the toughest books I've written for Hero are probably [i']The Turakian Age[/i] and The Atlantean Age -- having to sit down and create dozens and dozens of kingdoms, each of which is somehow unique, interesting, and cool, really taxes my creativity. Coming up with lots and lots of NPCs (like in a villains book) is much easier.

You succeeded admirably, though. TA and AA are jam-packed with interesting concepts, even if you just want elements to crib for your own home-brew setting.

I've always been impressed not only with the quality, but quantity of your writing. Very few authors can churn out top-notch material at such speed. You're like an RPG Steven King! :king:

I don't even follow comics like I used to but I can't wait to find out what has happened in the Champions Universe.

I'm really addicted to To Save The World. What devious plot will the Pharoah launch next? Can Justice Force Omega stop him in time? Is Shooting Star having Captain Thunder's baby... and if so what strange abilities will the human-alien hybrid child possess? Dunh dunh DUNH!....

Very few authors can churn out top-notch material at such speed. You're like an RPG Steven King!

Thanx! But credit where credit's due: Darren, Jason, Tina, et al. have always made a lot of that possible. By removing distractions (like getting print quotes or boxing up books to ship to a customer) they free me up to do nothing but write. In some ways I feel very unproductive these days because I no longer have that "safety net" and constantly find myself having to fuss with such details. ;)

Well' date=' regardless of what you think of it in retrospect, Ndreare, you should be proud of yourself for completing a major project like that. As you discovered, it's no easy task. ;)[/quote']

Thanks Steve.

I also tried to convert my fantasy setting into a book, but it ended up being nothing but a series of notes, with no coherent form or purpose. Every revision or new game is another try that does not meet the standard and gives allot of perspective for how much work you (and others quality writers) put into it. Making me appreciate coherent good writing even more.