What "Pulp" have you read lately ?

st barbara

Re: What "Pulp" have you read lately ?

Actually, Yeah I'd call them Pulp. They have similar structure and motion in the story telling. Not a fan though but if I were in the age group they're aimed at, I might have tossed a few of them in the pile back in the day.....

~Rex

Heh, Phillip K. Dick is about as Pulp as you get without being *Insert list of Authors ranging from Clark Ashton Smith to add infinium and beyondish, heh*..... Style, presentation flow feel. Yeah Pulp.

~Rex

Your definition of "Pulp" is much broader than mine "Rex" ! I wouldn't have defined Dick as a "pulp" or even a "pulp style" writer, but that's okay; "pulp" is what the reader decides to define it as as far as I am concerned. My own definition is fairly strict as to time period; basically I use the heyday of the magazines from the late nineteenth century to World War II as my time period for "Pulp", with later Pulp style stories being given the term "Neopulp", but perhaps I am just being picky.

Your definition of "Pulp" is much broader than mine "Rex" ! I wouldn't have defined Dick as a "pulp" or even a "pulp style" writer' date=' but that's okay; "pulp" is what the reader decides to define it as as far as I am concerned. My own definition is fairly strict as to time period; basically I use the heyday of the magazines from the late nineteenth century to World War II as my time period for "Pulp", with later Pulp style stories being given the term "Neopulp", but perhaps I am just being picky.[/quote']

Too many folks get stuck on the time frame that the Pulps were possible. If Phillip K. Dick had been born a few decades earlier, his material would have been sitting side by side with many of the Pulp Greats, written on the same material and presented the same way. The time frame of production has very little to do with Pulp. Many of the Pulp stories of the greatest caliber, were Broad Futures and Murky Pasts. Hyboria to Mongo, Westerns to Zeppelins to faster then light star travel and exploration to masked Vigilantes in dark noir alley's .....

These writers had to write a LOT, and it had to sell. While Formulaic sometimes, that formula has held fairly true for closing in on a century now (ala, Lester Dent's Pulp Plot formula http://www.paper-dragon.com/1939/dent.html).... Limiting ones views of pulp and or assigning other terms just because it doesn't fit a confined view doesn't work for me because it doesn't encompass the Stories that were being told, by those people in that format. Those stories were broad and reaching, even ground breaking for a lot of them.

~Rex

Too many folks get stuck on the time frame that the Pulps were possible. If Phillip K. Dick had been born a few decades earlier, his material would have been sitting side by side with many of the Pulp Greats, written on the same material and presented the same way. The time frame of production has very little to do with Pulp. Many of the Pulp stories of the greatest caliber, were Broad Futures and Murky Pasts. Hyboria to Mongo, Westerns to Zeppelins to faster then light star travel and exploration to masked Vigilantes in dark noir alley's .....

These writers had to write a LOT, and it had to sell. While Formulaic sometimes, that formula has held fairly true for closing in on a century now (ala, Lester Dent's Pulp Plot formula http://www.paper-dragon.com/1939/dent.html).... Limiting ones views of pulp and or assigning other terms just because it doesn't fit a confined view doesn't work for me because it doesn't encompass the Stories that were being told, by those people in that format. Those stories were broad and reaching, even ground breaking for a lot of them.

~Rex

Well it is just a personal thing as I said. I don't feel that my view is limited in any way personally, and that it generally covers the stories that were being told (and I still don't think that Dick's writing qualifies; Hamilton, Brackett, Burroughs yeah, but Dick's writing doesn't "feel" right to me).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Recently? Not a one. However as soon as I'm done with my current detective novel I'm starting THE Big Book of Adventure stories. 872 pages of tales from Jack London, HG Wells, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Ruyard Kipling. And I expect to be very pleased.:)

Between every book I read I knock back a "Destroyer" novel. I like to keep my brain in the Remo-Space.

Ha! :D I haven't read a Destroyer in years. Far as I'm concerned, the series' Golden Age was mid 70s to early 80s.

Do they still publish them? The last I heard they were doing a reboot or something.

Ha! :D I haven't read a Destroyer in years. Far as I'm concerned, the series' Golden Age was mid 70s to early 80s.

Do they still publish them? The last I heard they were doing a reboot or something.

Rumor has it that Warren Murphy was taking over the reigns again. I never made it past 100 so I started over when I got my kindle and got the whole bundle. I'm closing in on 50 again. I'm pretty sure I have little interest in the stuff that was done without Murphy -- but I may give them a chance.