Weird Adventures -- A Different Kind of Pulp Setting

KawangaKid

More like Pulp meets D&D, actually. And why not? Shadowrun did D&D meets cyberpunk!

I tackle Weird Adventures on my blog, and I'm currently figuring out how to create a bunch of character templates. Character templates are different from the package deal approach to character creation; I'm basically doing a Star Wars d6 approach to character creation, but using the Hero System. Sort of a quick chargen option to make it easy for pickup games.

Check it out!

Re: Weird Adventures -- A Different Kind of Pulp Setting

I've been thinking about this myself, as the next campaign I am going to run is a sort of weird adventures pulp setting (a Torchwood/Cthulu mythos/Sherlock Holmes/Tim Powers Mashup, set in the late 1800's - early 1900's)

A good source to draw on for archetypes/characters is the board game Arkham Horror, where the players' characters and allies are all archetypes, based on HPL's universe: the ex-soldier, the corrupt politician, the wealthy dilettante, the explorer, the mystic old man, etc, etc. I'm planning on plundering them for NPCs and also in-game literary call-outs :)

cheers, Mark

KawangaKid, I've seen some old DnD modules where they did such a thing. I think it was the Blackmoor modules that had the heroes search an old crashed space ship. There was laser guns, which the pcs think is a magic wand. There was a cyborg, and genetic experiments which resulted in killer frogs and man-frog people.

KawangaKid' date=' I've seen some old DnD modules where they did such a thing. I think it was the Blackmoor modules that had the heroes search an old crashed space ship. There was laser guns, which the pcs think is a magic wand. There was a cyborg, and genetic experiments which resulted in killer frogs and man-frog people.[/quote']

That was "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks". I had it statted out for Fantasy HERO once.

Yes, that was EttBP, but you might want to take a longer look at Blackmoor.

The Blackmoor Big Bad was an alien who chose the "rather than serve in heaven" option.

IOW: He chose to be Emperor Stephen The Rock, medieval world ruler, than Lieutenant Petro, serving on board the nearby crashed star ship. The campaign had a bit more of a sword and blaster feel than Gygax's stuff.

However, are you looking more at an early 20th century "urban fantasy" a la Hamilton, Butcher, or Lackey?

KawangaKid' date=' I've seen some old DnD modules where they did such a thing. I think it was the Blackmoor modules that had the heroes search an old crashed space ship. There was laser guns, which the pcs think is a magic wand. There was a cyborg, and genetic experiments which resulted in killer frogs and man-frog people.[/quote']

I remember that module, of course (well both, the Blackmoor modules DA1 to DA3 AND the Expedition to the Barrier Peaks).The difference with Weird Adventures is that it's not Science Fiction pulp, it's D&D meets 1920s / 1930s Pulp era settings with its Manhattan city, with a Doc Savage analogue, etc.

I remember that module' date=' of course (well both, the Blackmoor modules DA1 to DA3 AND the Expedition to the Barrier Peaks).The difference with Weird Adventures is that it's not Science Fiction pulp, it's D&D meets 1920s / 1930s Pulp era settings with its Manhattan city, with a Doc Savage analogue, etc.[/quote']

That's actually an almost-perfect description of the novel Doc Sidhe, and its sequel Sidhe Devil, by best-selling author and former Champions guru Aaron Allston. They might provide useful inspiration.

Here's a description of Doc Sidhe, and reader reviews, on the Amazon website: http://www.amazon.com/Doc-Sidhe-Aaron-Allston/dp/0671876627

And here's where you can legally download an e-copy of DS from the Baen Free Library: http://www.baen.com/library/aallston.htm

Mr. Allston also provides a Doc Sidhe-related FAQ on his personal website: http://www.aaronallston.com/factpages/faqdocsidhe.html

I remember that module' date=' of course (well both, the Blackmoor modules DA1 to DA3 AND the Expedition to the Barrier Peaks).The difference with Weird Adventures is that it's not Science Fiction pulp, it's D&D meets 1920s / 1930s Pulp era settings with its Manhattan city, with a Doc Savage analogue, etc.[/quote']

Ok I re-read this several times and i'm going huh?

That's actually an almost-perfect description of the novel Doc Sidhe' date=' and its sequel [i']Sidhe Devil[/i], by best-selling author and former Champions guru Aaron Allston. They might provide useful inspiration.

Here's a description of Doc Sidhe, and reader reviews, on the Amazon website: http://www.amazon.com/Doc-Sidhe-Aaron-Allston/dp/0671876627

And here's where you can legally download an e-copy of DS from the Baen Free Library: http://www.baen.com/library/aallston.htm

Mr. Allston also provides a Doc Sidhe-related FAQ on his personal website: http://www.aaronallston.com/factpages/faqdocsidhe.html

That's exactly what I thought when I looked at the blog. I've always wanted to see Aaron Alston write a Doc Sidhe setting/supplement for Pulp/Urban Fantasy HERO.

• 6 months later...

If you're doing weird pulp, take a look at G-8 and His Battle Aces. The books are set during WWI and feature werewolves, vampires, ghosts, and other weird menaces. There are several reprints out there that you can pick up for ideas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-8_(character)

If you're doing weird pulp, take a look at G-8 and His Battle Aces. The books are set during WWI and feature werewolves, vampires, ghosts, and other weird menaces. There are several reprints out there that you can pick up for ideas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-8_(character)

I got lucky with "G8" and got a set of seven of them , all neatly wrapped in plastic. Unfortunately, given how many books I haven't read yet, they are still sitting neatly wrapped in plastic on my bookshelves, unread.

I got lucky with "G8" and got a set of seven of them ' date=' all neatly wrapped in plastic. Unfortunately, given how many books I haven't read yet, they are still sitting neatly wrapped in plastic on my bookshelves, unread.[/quote']

I'll need detailed directions to your house, blueprints of said house, and a list of times when you'll be out of the house so I can sneak in and grab those G-8 books. ;) So far I only have one in my collection and it's killing me. I need more!!!

By the way, nice find. :thumbup: