Teleport Dodge, did I do it right?

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][TABLE=width: 306]

[TR]

[TD=width: 306, colspan: 3, align: left]I was trying to build a reflexive teleport power that could only be used when the character aborts to dodge. I think I got it set up here, but if someone could check this out I'd appreciate it. Basically when he has to try to dodge an attack he teleports up to 8 meters away in the direction he was dodging to.

The hero is a neon light classic arcade themed crime fighter.

Teleportation 8m,

No Relative Velocity,

Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; Taking the Dodge Action; +1) (36 Active Points);

No Conscious Control (-2),

Conditional Power Power Only Works In Darkness (-1/2),

Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4), Leaves A Trail (Neon light afterimages; -0)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I'm not too concerned about the point cost. I'm more concerned about doing it properly and efficiently. If it can be done in a way that takes up less page space, that's good. So long as it doesn't cost a bajillion points. :)

Re: Teleport Dodge, did I do it right?

Definitely add 'safe blind teleport, as Hyper-Man suggests, especially as this only works in darkness. You do NOT want to dodge inside a solid object. Messy.

I also concur with Crosshair Collie that 'NCC' probably is not appropriate. I appreciate you can not simply teleport 8m when you want to as well as when dodging, but I think that 'trigger' sort of forces that anyway.

Phoenix240's suggestion about DCV levels is also useful for many situations, making your TP assisted dodge very effective against non AoE attacks for a lot less, although the 'getting out of the immediate area' thing is also useful.

As built you could use this to avoid falling damage: just hold your action once falling and dodge immediately before hitting the ground, and the No Relative Velocity will save you :)

I don't think it could be used to "dodge a fall" as written since you can't dodge... falling. You know, such video game characters are rarely distressed by long falls anyway. So maybe a leaping bonus only for reducing fall damage would make some sense.

I would use extra DCV, Only for Dodge (and maybe cost endurance) with the special effect of "teleports out of the way". He can even move as part of the special effects/description as long as it does not counts as "real" movement (it does not disrupts any haymakers targetting him and he does not escapes area of effect attacks fast enough).

I think you can use Trigger for movement to get a better Dive for Cover Maneuver (one you don't have to abort to), but even with Trigger it still is Dive for Cover. So you do not automatically succed with your Triggered Teleport.

And asuming you don't abort to the triggered power, you still have to make a DEX Roll to go before the attack (in addition to the Dive for Cover Roll).

My group has used the + DCV defined as blink teleport. Its just that your character doesn't move out of place when used, so that could be bad if you need to need to get out of an area attack. Do you have any of the newer martial arts books? I think that this could be justified to buy the flying dodge manuever. :)

"I threw myself at the ground and the ground missed!"

True story: our TV provider has content which includes some really old episodes of Doctor Who. A couple of weeks ago, my (17 and 11 year old) boys and I were watching one called 'City of Death' with Tom Baker as The Doctor, from 1979. We were all really impressed by the script, and this is unusual because you often don't really notice the script that much at all: it is certainly unusual for us to do so. I was so impressed I looked it up, and, although the script was written by David Fisher (who I'd not heard of) it was apparently heavily re-written by the script editor, one Douglas Adams. It was just the humour and vigor of the script and the way that a word or phrase brilliantly evoked the alien. He is missed. Much like the ground.

I was so impressed I looked it up' date=' and, although the script was written by David Fisher (who I'd not heard of) it was apparently heavily re-written by the script editor, one Douglas Adams. It was just the humour and vigor of the script and the way that a word or phrase brilliantly evoked the alien. He is missed. Much like the ground.[/quote']

A large part of the Hitchhiker Series are actually Douglas Adams Scripts for Dr. Who that got rejected.

I would use extra DCV' date=' Only for Dodge (and maybe cost endurance) with the special effect of "teleports out of the way". He can even move as part of the special effects/description as long as it does not counts as "real" movement (it does not disrupts any haymakers targetting him and he does not escapes area of effect attacks fast enough).I think you can use Trigger for movement to get a better Dive for Cover Maneuver (one you don't have to abort to), but even with Trigger it still is Dive for Cover. So you do not automatically succed with your Triggered Teleport.And asuming you don't abort to the triggered power, you still have to make a DEX Roll to go before the attack (in addition to the Dive for Cover Roll).[/quote']He can have the Trigger be whatever he wants that the GM will allow. It does NOT have to be a Dive for Cover instead of a Dodge. Further more, forcing him to make a DEX roll when he already paid a lot for a Triggered Power that can be Aborted to is overkill. I don't think anything in RAW supports that.

What you are doing sounds a lot like Dive for Cover to me. If that is the case, I wouldn't buy a power at all, I would just say the sfx of this character's Dive for Cover is teleport instead of literal diving.

If that isn't the flavor you want, I would agree with the other posters that No Conscious Control doesn't belong, but the build otherwise looks okay.

Instead of No Conscious Control, I think you want the "User Doesn't Control When Trigger Activates" modifier on Trigger, which would make it cost 1/4 less (so +3/4 total).

If the Teleport is in a random direction, then you could use the -1 version of No Conscious Control (user decides when to activate power, but not its effects).

He can have the Trigger be whatever he wants that the GM will allow. It does NOT have to be a Dive for Cover instead of a Dodge. Further more' date=' forcing him to make a DEX roll when he already paid a lot for a Triggered Power that can be Aborted to is overkill. I don't think anything in RAW supports that.[/quote']

According to APG II 56, not even having a Defense Power on a "Action that takes no time" trigger guarantees that you go before the attack. You still have to make a dex Roll and if you fail it, you were "that split second to late". Only when you abort your phase you are guaranteed to go before the attack with whatever you are doing.

And I am pretty certain there was a Rules Question whose answers was "Triggered Movement that is used to coutner an attack still follows the Rules of Dive for Cover". But I can't find it now, so I asked it again:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/89674-Triggerd-Movement-Powers-vs-Dive-for-Cover

Just read your question to Steve. I notice you give the examples of Trigger "when attacked" and "whenever you want". Both of those are drastically different than "when Aborting to a RAW Defensive action such as Dodge" in my opinion.

Steve gave his answer. The main points: Making a Triggered Movement power doesn't automatically give the benifit of D4C. The GM's permission is needed to Trigger a Movement Power at all. Making it operate according to the D4C rules might be appropriate, but it is up to the GM. Obviosly all things are up to the GM in the long run, but I think it's safe to say having a Triggered Teleport actually avoid the effect of an attack is not against RAW, even if it isn't the assumed default. Personally I wuld be much more likely to allow it, depnding on the campaign of course, if it was linked to aborting to a defensive action and losing a turn than if it was a Trigger of "whenever I was attacked" or "whenever I want to (without even needing a 0-phase action)" which was basically what was asked of Steve.

Okay thanks guys. So I took out No Conscious control and added safe blind teleport. The power cost me 23 points, but when I abort to dodge an attack I trigger the teleport power.

I figured it would be acceptable since if I understand aborting to dodge properly I loose out of my next phase for doing so, so it seemed balanced to be able to afterimage away from attacks that I actually try to dodge. (Which isn't everything. I tried to set it up so that while useful for defense, I lose the ability to act in exchange. He's a decent enough fighter so I figure that he would be able to take a few blows in regular combat but heavy hits he may want to try to get out of range of. By it's nature I could technically use it versus every attack, but I wouldn't be able to do anything else.)

If I manage to teleport out of the target space of an area of effect, I don't get hit with it, right? Additionally, I think if I use that trick too often the opponent will be able to figure out and anticipate where I'm going to pop up and bluff me into porting into an attack. I'm not sure how that would work but I figure it would be similar to a high speed clothesline hit.

Avoiding AoE would work - if the Teleport distance is long enough. As for an opponent trying to bluff you, I'd figure something like Acting (or in some cases Sleight of Hand) vs PER to feint an attack, then just do the real attack once you move.

Avoiding AoE would work - if the Teleport distance is long enough. As for an opponent trying to bluff you' date=' I'd figure something like Acting (or in some cases Sleight of Hand) vs PER to feint an attack, then just do the real attack once you move.[/quote']

Perhaps a variation of the Cover Maneuver?