Power Suits Remote Assault Drones

BhelliomRahl

Good day.

Desiging a Power Suit which utilise remote drones for observation and attack. The Power Suits has several Orbs which float around it when active.

Power Orbs (4 of them) - My Build (Rough):

Blast 4D6 (20pts); Indirect (Variable Source Point; +1/2), Constant (+1/2); Focus (OIF; -1/2) Quantity (4no; 15pts)

Clairsentience (Sight; 20pts); Perception Points (x4 - 10pts) Targeting (10pts), Mobile Perception Point (24m/phase; 10pts); Focus (OIF; -1/2)

To represent that both powers use the same focus do I need to use the limitations' Linked or Unified.

What are peoples opinions?

Re: Power Suits Remote Assault Drones

Clairsentience with Sight does not counts as Targetting Sense, not even for Mental/Line of Sight Powers. I don't think adding targetting helps.

So you would be at 1/2 OCV I think.

I do see reason tha waive that limitation in this case, but that is a GM call.

Instead of extra Perception points/foci, how about building one and using the 5 Point doubling Rule to get 4?

Whats this rule exactly?

6E2 181, The 5-Point Doubling Rule

You buy one thing normally. If you want twice as many (so you have spare or can double wield), you pay 5 points more.

If you want to double that to 4, you spend another 5 points.

This only works with equipment bought with points (but Followers, Vehicles, bases, Duplicates, Summoning and Multiform have similar rules) and it never get's any costbreak for the limitation on the items.

With Multiple Focus you would have one blast that requires four foci. You could never use more than one Blast at once. And you have to define how the loss of one Focus affects the overall ability:

Not at all (those are spares), then the limitation value goes down.

If any fails, all fails (each part is nessesary), then the limitation values goes up.

The more Foci fail, the weaker the blast gets: Ask you GM.

Why not just build them as followers? Get Mind Link with them and you're all set. I did this once with a variable power pool so I could change the drones between missions. Just a thought. :)

You also could use Clairsentience, Only through eyes of others with the Follower built.

I'm pretty sure adding Targeting to Clairvoyance works.

Linked on the attack may work if it only works while the Clarivoyance is active. In other words, if the visual sensors are knocked out, but the character can see a target and the drone has a shot at that target, can the character direct the drone to fire? If yes, don't use Linked. With Linked the drone can only fire if it's own "eyes" can see the target.

Lucius Alexander

"palindromedary" has one i and no c

Couldn't you buy them as the indirect blastx4 and the multiple POV clairsentience but for a computer to control? With the computer controlling them, it takes the onus away from the PC. Buying them as followers risks them being destroyed and unrecoverable though a nice GM will allow you to repair them.

Still another option is to use Summon, but in my opinion a Compound Power construct including Clairvoyance and the attack Power is probably simplest.

Lucius Alexander

Simplifying a palindromedary

I would just buy them as followers. Build one and then for 10 more points you get all 4. Give them a mind link for the surveillance. Then if you want more of them later you can just spend 5 pts for up to 4 more.

• 3 weeks later...

Automatons is an interesting way to go. You can justify tinkering with them. Making them a separate focus allows for them to also be targeted apart from you. I agree with using doubling instead of quantity. 10 pts of doubling is equal to the 15 you are spending on quantity. What you want to create is a compound power so that if attacked all of the powers go away if the attack is successful.

Compound Power: An ability or power

constructed by using two or more Powers or

other game elements. Typically it involves the

Linked Limitation (6E1 383) or a partially-

Limited power (6E1 366). For example, a “Flare

Blast” that combines a Blast 8d6 with a Sight

Group Flash 4d6 is a compound power.

• 2 weeks later...

I would build them as robots and then summon them (I assume that if you're carrying them around and that they are therefore, "local" to the environment).

Your orginal question though seemed to have to do with linking or unifying them. If you buy a focus as unified or as physical manifestation, my understanding is that all the powers have a PD/Ed associated with them and that if body is done, a power is lost. If the powers are unified, one body destroys all unified powers. Not so with linked. You could set up a limitation, "Origin point must be the same for both clairsentience and blast", but all this seems kind of complicated. Your attack has a point of origin for its damage and its sense. Bought through a focus, it has PD, ED, and Body (sort of). But you still don't have movement. Also, the thing's interaction with oddball powers is sort of up in the air. What happens if someone, for instance, hits it with mental illusions (robot class).

I would build them as robots and then summon them (I assume that if you're carrying them around and that they are therefore, "local" to the environment).

Your orginal question though seemed to have to do with linking or unifying them. If you buy a focus as unified or as physical manifestation, my understanding is that all the powers have a PD/Ed associated with them and that if body is done, a power is lost. If the powers are unified, one body destroys all unified powers. Not so with linked. You could set up a limitation, "Origin point must be the same for both clairsentience and blast", but all this seems kind of complicated. Your attack has a point of origin for its damage and its sense. Bought through a focus, it has PD, ED, and Body (sort of). But you still don't have movement. Also, the thing's interaction with oddball powers is sort of up in the air. What happens if someone, for instance, hits it with mental illusions (robot class).

I would not use summon. Follower bought as equipment are much better here. After all if a drone is lost he can't re-create it.

I'll throw out two builds:

Attack Drone V1:

27 Clairsentience (Sight; 20pts); Targeting (10pts), Mobile Perception Point (24m/phase; 10pts), 40 AP; Focus (OIF; -1/2), 27 Real

27 Blast 4D6 (20pts); Indirect (Variable Source Point; +1/2), Constant (+1/2), 40 AP; Focus (OIF; -1/2); 27 Real

10 3 more drones: (2 5 point doublings)

Total: 64

I could see this working with only a +1/4, after all the source point is obvious/something you can defend against.

Barriers with "Counteracts Indirect" will still block this (asume that somehow the fire command is easely disrupted by whatever let's the barrier counteract indirect stuff).

The normals rules for targetting with indirect attacks are overwritten, as you can use the clairsentience to target.

In this build (without Unified) the Focus has 8 rPD and 8 rED. Any attack taht does 1 Body after them takes out one power (so the drone will either be unarmed or you ahve to use the targetting rules from indirect). Any attack that does 8 Body after defenses destorys the drone directly. Extra rPD/rED can be bought with a -2 Limitation.

You can only look through/attack with one drone at a time.

Note that you still have to pay the endurance, you have to use your actions to attack and that the drones stop when you go K.O. Adding 0 Endurance is advised.

Attack Drone, V2

Built the Drone as automaton. Give it the attack. Don't forget a communication power. You propably don't need a Computer (attack on command and fly to point are easy enough), but you can add one.

Then buy a "Drone Remote Oberservation Monitor":

23 Clairsentience (Sight; 20pts); Multiple Perception Points (4, 10 points), Mobile Perception Point (12m/phase; 5pts), 35 AP; Only trhough eyes of Drones (-1/2)

You don't need targetting (as you don't need to target yourself, only tell the drones the targets). You don't need to spend actions or endurance (the drones have to do that).

You don't need to increase the Perception Point speed to match the Drones speed (as long as the drones don't have megascale level movement).

I am uncertain about the Value of the "Only though eyes of Drones" Limitation. On the one hand the Drone is a obvious onlooker and there are fewer drones than all lifeforms+ all robots around. On the other hand you have the creature that you need around and even under complete control.

You need to buy more perception points if you want to observe more drones feeds at once.

Why not just build them as followers? Get Mind Link with them and you're all set. I did this once with a variable power pool so I could change the drones between missions. Just a thought. :)

I would build them as mini-automatons with their own stats and abilities. Mind-Link them to the Power suit (which represents a closed/encrypted radio or laser comm link) and away you go.

I would just buy them as followers. Build one and then for 10 more points you get all 4. Give them a mind link for the surveillance. Then if you want more of them later you can just spend 5 pts for up to 4 more.

Automatons is an interesting way to go. You can justify tinkering with them. Making them a separate focus allows for them to also be targeted apart from you. I agree with using doubling instead of quantity. 10 pts of doubling is equal to the 15 you are spending on quantity. What you want to create is a compound power so that if attacked all of the powers go away if the attack is successful.

Compound Power: An ability or power

constructed by using two or more Powers or

other game elements. Typically it involves the

Linked Limitation (6E1 383) or a partially-

Limited power (6E1 366). For example, a “Flare

Blast” that combines a Blast 8d6 with a Sight

Group Flash 4d6 is a compound power.

What they said. Separate characters.