Weapon Familiarity and Futuristic Weapons in a Modern Setting

I was wondering. I have an alien character who came to Earth as part of an invasion in a supers campaign. Since she was a junior military officer, I thought it would be appropriate for her to have the ability to use blasters and the ship's blaster cannons. Neither are important to running the character, she doesn't do either, but I wanted them for background info, but I have a some questions.

Would blasters work using firearm weapon familiarity or would they have their own weapon familiarity? And, if blasters fall under firearms, are blaster pistols their own category under firearms? It's the mixing of technology levels that confuses me.

And how would you handle being able heavy weapons, like ship mounted and vehicle mounted weapons?

Re: Weapon Familiarity and Futuristic Weapons in a Modern Setting

I was wondering. I have an alien character who came to Earth as part of an invasion in a supers campaign. Since she was a junior military officer' date=' I thought it would be appropriate for her to have the ability to use blasters and the ship's blaster cannons. Neither are important to running the character, she doesn't do either, but I wanted them for background info, but I have a some questions.[/quote']

Ask the GM if that can fall under the "what not to spend point on" rule on 6E1 31.

Would blasters work using firearm weapon familiarity or would they have their own weapon familiarity? And' date=' if blasters fall under firearms, are blaster pistols their own category under firearms? It's the mixing of technology levels that confuses me.[/quote']

That depends on your GM.

The example "Alien Invader" in Champions 6E is written up with WF: Small Arms (2), the ninja with a Selection of Weapons for 6, Agent, Soldier and Stree Thug with Small Arms + Knives (3).

So I would guess "Small Arms".

And how would you handle being able heavy weapons' date=' like ship mounted and vehicle mounted weapons?[/quote']

Heavy weapons that a single person (driver, gunner) can use:

Normal Weapon Familiarity

Heavy weapon that needs a team to use:

Requires Multiple users on the weapon + Weapon Familiarity (for each of them).

Accordign to the book there are "Vehicle Weapon" Familiarities. Propably 2 points per vehicle.

It depends on you. I have seen blasters fall under small arms and officially in 5th it isn't listed. I myself went and created a new weapon familarity group for my Super Agents- High Tech (Uncommon) which (as of now lists) Blaster pistols, Blaster Carbines, and energy Blades each at 1pt and being uncommon, you can't buy as a two point group. Of course you can change this if you like. I believe (based on my Hero Designer) Star hero introduces energy WF and Beam WF. I think if you want to keep alien tech more alien, then it should have its own Weapon familarity. But again, in movies how often does the hero pick up a strange weapon and seem to have no problems using it? Hope this helps! (And I hope to you post your decision too.)

One option is to have an "enrgy weapon-small arms" WF, but if the are shaped pretty much like normal guns let the alien apply that for shooting guns and humans apply "small arms" for shooting alien guns. However, don't give them all the benifits of the weapons familiarity. For example, they may not know how to reload/recharge the alien/human weapon. They may not know how to propperly clean and care for the weapon, so with extended use the weapon would aquire a "require an activation roll" and may jam or otherwise break down. That way anyone (with a firearms WF) can pick up a "gun" with a trigger and use it without the full -3 penalty (maybe still have a -1) but the 1930s pulp adventurer doesn't get the full value of the "alien heat ray Weapons Familiarity" for free.

One option is to have an "enrgy weapon-small arms" WF' date=' but if the are shaped pretty much like normal guns let the alien apply that for shooting guns and humans apply "small arms" for shooting alien guns. However, don't give them all the benifits of the weapons familiarity. For example, they may not know how to reload/recharge the alien/human weapon. They may not know how to propperly clean and care for the weapon, so with extended use the weapon would aquire a "require an activation roll" and may jam or otherwise break down. That way anyone (with a firearms WF) can pick up a "gun" with a trigger and use it without the full -3 penalty (maybe still have a -1) but the 1930s pulp adventurer doesn't get the full value of the "alien heat ray Weapons Familiarity" for free.[/quote']

Thats a good option too!

One option is to have an "enrgy weapon-small arms" WF, but if the are shaped pretty much like normal guns let the alien apply that for shooting guns and humans apply "small arms" for shooting alien guns. However, don't give them all the benifits of the weapons familiarity. For example, they may not know how to reload/recharge the alien/human weapon. They may not know how to propperly clean and care for the weapon, so with extended use the weapon would aquire a "require an activation roll" and may jam or otherwise break down. That way anyone (with a firearms WF) can pick up a "gun" with a trigger and use it without the full -3 penalty (maybe still have a -1) but the 1930s pulp adventurer doesn't get the full value of the "alien heat ray Weapons Familiarity" for free.

This.

A gun, being a weapon, is by its very nature intended to be operated in a high-stress, time-critical environment. I've always thought that this means you'd want the act of firing the gun to be as simple as possible; "point, pull trigger".

I might consider disallowing any of the optional maneuvers like Set or Brace or Aim with a gun the character didn't have the WF for, since they certainly don't know the ballistic characteristics of the gun and might not even know how to use the sights.

All I really have to say here is "me too".

Universal ["Warrior"] Weapon Familiarity: 20 character points: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/88069-Weapon-Mastery-(Coments-Welcomed)

Allows a character to pick up, use, and maintain practically any weapon.

Must buy the appropriate Transport Familiarities to use vehicle weapons.

Universal ["Pilot"] Transport Familiarity: 20 character points...

Taking both is perfect for an extreme Flash Gordon type PCs that can shoot death rays pistols from hawkman rocket cycles... despite having not known either existed before five minutes ago.

"He'll save every one of us!"

One option is to have an "enrgy weapon-small arms" WF' date=' but if the are shaped pretty much like normal guns let the alien apply that for shooting guns and humans apply "small arms" for shooting alien guns. However, don't give them all the benifits of the weapons familiarity. For example, they may not know how to reload/recharge the alien/human weapon. They may not know how to propperly clean and care for the weapon, so with extended use the weapon would aquire a "require an activation roll" and may jam or otherwise break down. That way anyone (with a firearms WF) can pick up a "gun" with a trigger and use it without the full -3 penalty (maybe still have a -1) but the 1930s pulp adventurer doesn't get the full value of the "alien heat ray Weapons Familiarity" for free.[/quote']

I like that idea. It makes logical sense. I'm going with that one.

Thanks, and thanks to all that apply!

Even supers sometimes either get disarmed or have a sudden need to access a weapon of opportunity.

So true. That is why some supers have WF as a 'background' skill. Thay do not carry the weapion on them, but can shure use it if thay come across it.

Universal ["Warrior"] Weapon Familiarity: 20 character points: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/88069-Weapon-Mastery-(Coments-Welcomed)

Allows a character to pick up, use, and maintain practically any weapon.

Must buy the appropriate Transport Familiarities to use vehicle weapons.

Universal ["Pilot"] Transport Familiarity: 20 character points...

Taking both is perfect for an extreme Flash Gordon type PCs that can shoot death rays pistols from hawkman rocket cycles... despite having not known either existed before five minutes ago.

"He'll save every one of us!"

Thanks for the shout out, Mister E.

It's a supers game. Don't buy weapon familiarity' date=' buy the weapons as a power.[/quote']

But what do you do with the Dr. Destoyer specials? In classic enemies, it is suggested that they shouldn't be used unless you have the appropriate skills or weapon fam. I personally said that if you bought a weapon then you get a free weapon fam for that specific weapon.