Without fusion power, why go back to the moon?

Guest dr. strangelove

Guest dr. strangelove

In the NGD section some talk about going back to the moon and setting up a permanent base there came up, and I asked "Unless we get a fusion reactor that needs lunar helium 3 to run, what is the reason to go back to the moon on a permanent basis?"

Sounds like a fair question here so I'll ask it here.

As our demand for certain metals used in high technology grows, and we begin to encounter a scarcity of them on earth that leads to the term "Conflict metals" being used I suppose we could look to the moon for a new source of them, but until the cost of a desktop computer or laptop reached 10,000$ due to the rarity of these metals I don;t know if that will be a viable motivation.

A lunar observatory would be great for astronomy and science but again will it be an effective incentive for a project that will cost untold billions?

Re: Without fusion power, why go back to the moon?

As far as stepping stones to the Big Black, the moon has some advantages over asteroid mining (and vice versa).

Lunar conditions are fairly well understood, so there's less research budget needed.

Lunar gravity, small as it is, allows for the adaptation of many designs from terrestrial machines that don't work right in full zero-g

and the Moon makes a nice big catchers mitt for payloads being lobbed homewards for use back on the Blue Marble, if we ever do get harvesting operations going

So far every thing we know about biology in different gravities is from studying things (1) in Earth Normal gravity or (2) in Ziggy. We have absolutely no idea how humans will react to prolonged Moon or Mars gravity. A lunar base, we can study people, rotate them home quickly if problems develop. Mars gravity can be better simulated on the Moon or apparently the ISS, which is where I would have studied it but I wasn't asked.

Quarantine. You want to experiment with nanotech that can cause a grey ooze situation if you get it wrong? Fine, put a quarter of a million miles, some hard radiation, and harder vacuum between us and you.

A lunar observatory would be great for astronomy and science but again will it be an effective incentive for a project that will cost untold billions?

The lunar farside is the perfect place for ultra-sensitive radio astronomy because it is completely isolated from Earth's radio noise.

Practice. If you can establish a lunar colony that can extract raw materials and produce its own air, water, and food from the environment, it becomes a far cheaper operation--and proves the technology for other bases elsewhere in the system.

A staging ground. Once you're on the moon (or in earth orbit, really), you're halfway to anywhere in the system. All the heavy lifting (har har) has been done. The more resources you can extract and make use of (see my first point), the less we have to lift from earth, whether for the lunar colony itself or to supply more distant outposts.

Guest dr. strangelove

Mccoy makes a lot of excellent points, I di think he could have made them in one post by editing, but I'd still give him rep for his points. I made some of them, like we know nothing about the effects of prolonged exposure to 1/6th g, myself a while back when we debated asteroid vs. moon mining.

In addition to experimenting with nanotech on the moon as a failsafe we could conduct genetic engineering experiments on possibly useful yet possibly harmful microbes there.

We might not want to store nuclear wastes on the moon in case the dumps explode and blow the moon out of orbit, though.

Mccoy makes a lot of excellent points, I di think he could have made them in one post by editing, but I'd still give him rep for his points. I made some of them, like we know nothing about the effects of prolonged exposure to 1/6th g, myself a while back when we debated asteroid vs. moon mining.

In addition to experimenting with nanotech on the moon as a failsafe we could conduct genetic engineering experiments on possibly useful yet possibly harmful microbes there.

We might not want to store nuclear wastes on the moon in case the dumps explode and blow the moon out of orbit, though.

I did one point one post for the ease of anyone responding.

More to the point, we don't want to store nuclear waste on the Moon because no transportation is 100% safe, imagine a Challenger-style accident with a cargo ship load of old control rods.

Guest dr. strangelove

I did one point one post for the ease of anyone responding.

More to the point, we don't want to store nuclear waste on the Moon because no transportation is 100% safe, imagine a Challenger-style accident with a cargo ship load of old control rods.

McCoy, the nuclear waste thing was a joke. Look up "Space: 1999".

McCoy' date=' the nuclear waste thing was a joke. Look up "Space: 1999".[/quote']

Don't have to look it up, watched the premiere of the pilot. Stupid idea then, stupid idea now, but if it's not nipped in the bud someone will suggest it seriously.

Quarantine. You want to experiment with nanotech that can cause a grey ooze situation if you get it wrong? Fine' date=' put a quarter of a million miles, some hard radiation, and harder vacuum between us and you.[/quote']

Would that really help? Only as long as it is not semi-sentient/self-adapting goo.

It might be easier to do "nuclear decontamination" up there, but otherwise it's only giving the goo a place to reproduce without us being able to interfere.

Would that really help? Only as long as it is not semi-sentient/self-adapting goo.

It might be easier to do "nuclear decontamination" up there, but otherwise it's only giving the goo a place to reproduce without us being able to interfere.

Until it runs out of organic matter, or water, or we open the doors and let the vacuum in. Or if we do need to nuke it from orbit, no collateral damage.

I say staging ground. Build an industrial base on the moon with rapid prototyping machines, flexible CNC systems, and other such multipurpose equipment. Use it to build a broader industry base. Use THAT to build spacecraft that don't have to struggle out of Earth's gravity well. Also do radio astronomy and long baseline interferometric optical astronomy, using locally built equipment.

Don't have to look it up' date=' watched the premiere of the pilot. Stupid idea then, stupid idea now, but if it's not nipped in the bud someone will suggest it seriously.[/quote']

Of course it was stupid. But given NIMBY, not too stupid to happen.

I remember pre-Challenger disaster there were lots of folks who suggested shooting nuclear waste to the Moon (or the Sun). I must have seemed foresighted to have mentioned the dangers of a launch. So far my other point hasn't come up (the other point was: What if we want it back some day?). I have some suspicions that one may crop up too.

I remember pre-Challenger disaster there were lots of folks who suggested shooting nuclear waste to the Moon (or the Sun). I must have seemed foresighted to have mentioned the dangers of a launch. So far my other point hasn't come up (the other point was: What if we want it back some day?). I have some suspicions that one may crop up too.

Yep. Why I also oppose doing anything like dropping it into the Marianas Trench or for that matter melting it into a salt dome.

Yep. Why I also oppose doing anything like dropping it into the Marianas Trench or for that matter melting it into a salt dome.

Which is why Yucca Mountain remains the most sensible near-term solution, and somebody with authority and guts need to tell Nevada's state government to stuff it. The flat fact is that the waste is NOT safe where it is right now, but we CAN safely transport it to a suitable repository. The argument against Yucca from some quarters about "But we can't be CERTAIN it will be absolutely leak-proof for the next billion plus years!" is complete bogus. Yucca Mountain doesn't have to perfectly retain the waste for a billion years, only for a few decades until we decide that we have a new use for it.

Which is why Yucca Mountain remains the most sensible near-term solution' date=' and somebody with authority and guts need to tell Nevada's state government to stuff it. The flat fact is that the waste is NOT safe where it is right now, but we CAN safely transport it to a suitable repository. The argument against Yucca from some quarters about "But we can't be CERTAIN it will be absolutely leak-proof for the next billion plus years!" is complete bogus. Yucca Mountain doesn't have to perfectly retain the waste for a billion years, only for a few decades until we decide that we have a new use for it.[/quote']

I mostly agree, although I can't remember if that facility is designed in such a way that the waste can be removed easily.

Guest dr. strangelove

You know, on the nuclear waste issue, the solution is so simple that I think some people must not want it solved. There is a safe, simple and effective way to dispose of nuclear waste, and it's called vitrification.

In a nutshell, you reduce your waste to a powder and mix it with sand at a very high dilution rate, then you melt the sand into solid glass blocks and burty them in a desert. The dilution lowers the radiation and fusing it into glass keeps it from leaking.

In america you'd set up a vitrification plant in a desert where you have a lot of sun and sand, use arrays of solar mirrors to focus the sun onto a singe spot and use the heat to melt the sand/waste mix.

Yeah, I like Robert Heinlein's suggestion: mix the nuclear waste into glass. Make blocks. Stack them in some inhabitable piece of useless desert. Build a fence around it. Put lots of signs around it saying (in multiple languages), "If you cross this line, you will die." Let nature take its course. When, eventually, we discover a use for all that nuclear waste, retrieve it and put it to good use.

Pro tip for SF readers. If Robert Heinlein thinks it's a good idea, check the data.

And now that we have the Internet, it's easy!

Conclusions

This report presents information in occurrence reports, other documents, and insights from waste vitrification projects. The study shows that significant progress is

being made in the development and application of melter systems for treating waste

forms. It also demonstrates that the vitrification of low-level waste can be complex

because of its heterogeneous and organic makeup; thus the planning and management of low-level waste vitrification projects need much of the careful consideration

given to high-level waste projects.

Many other problems and issues remain in the vitrification of radioactive waste

and significant lessons learned are evolving. A more detailed study is planned, as

Phase 2 of this project, that incorporates root cause analyses, investigates operational

safety, and broadens to encompass other waste treatment technologies and cost/benefits. A lessons learned workshop with domestic and international experts is also

planned

This is a 1999 report summarising 20 years of work on the vitrification of low-level radioactive waste only. Many technical issues emerged, not all of which are resolved, and many things went wrong. (Molten radioactive waste pouring out of the facilities and into nearby rivers, that kind of thing.) In the state of the technology, things will continue to go wrong if vitrification is adopted on a large scale. We need more research, and more trials.

to get great gobs of energy you are going to have to use a turbine system

having 1 here on earth first might help

going with a decay system.like what powers some probes is not going to cut it

Fusion will require a power source in place before any power from the fusion reactor takes place

why not just ship up a nuclear reactor like 1 for a sub

assemble on the moon then fuel it

it may take a few trips

might even be able to use something up there for shielding

we have people right now that can run a sub power plant and can build those

I mostly agree' date=' although I can't remember if that facility is designed in such a way that the waste can be removed easily.[/quote']

IIRC the Yucca Mountain sight is designed so that the canisters melt their way into the salt.

Silliest idea I ever heard was build a reactor on Mars, stack all the nuke waste around it, then pull the control rods and allow it to "China Syndrome" to the core. Intent was to start some vulcanism as part of a terraforming project.

So much wrong I literally don't know where to begin.