Interesting article about Sexism in Geek Communities

Tasha

It reminds me to "never put anything on the internet you don't want your mother to see".

Or your spouse, or employer, or...

The only problem being you don't always have control over what gets put on the internet. 

There are many people who've become internet famous because someone filmed them without their knowledge. 

This woman for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9cd0ortxu0

Who dealt with it with good humor and used it to her advantage.

But lets be honest here this was a "point and laugh" kind of thing that the filmed woman decided to be above. 

And me, I'm just jealous because she will dance in public and I won't 

Dang...they gave up on standards a long time ago, didn't they?

I'd hate to see Drawing Comics the Marvel Way redone with today's standards. They'd have to rename it Tracing Comics the Marvel Way for starters. It'd probably have a chapter on Xtreeeeme Spinal Anatomy and another on Seksay Poses.

Seriously, they used to at least have some standards for the sexist art.

Well that's pretty much the classic Spiderman pose.

2903702-superior_spider_man_vol_1_5_baglsmtss.gif

Though he gets a square bottom, and they never sexualize the male heroe's movements as they do females. And not even yoga pants are that tight. 

Well that's pretty much the classic Spiderman pose.

2903702-superior_spider_man_vol_1_5_baglsmtss.gif

Though he gets a square bottom, and they never sexualize the male heroe's movements as they do females. And not even yoga pants are that tight. 

It wasn't the pose*, so much as the quality of the art. That thing wasn't worthy of being a cover piece in the least. Aside from being boring as hell, the execution was lacking.

(Sorry for the long quote, but the new quoting thing is weird, so I'm not trying to edit in there.)

*Edit: Actually it is the pose, too. The ass-up pose works when the Spider-Person in question is crawling down something vertical, but when climbing over a ledge? Makes no sense whatsoever. That piece of art is trash.

It wasn't the pose*, so much as the quality of the art. That thing wasn't worthy of being a cover piece in the least. Aside from being boring as hell, the execution was lacking.

(Sorry for the long quote, but the new quoting thing is weird, so I'm not trying to edit in there.)

*Edit: Actually it is the pose, too. The ass-up pose works when the Spider-Person in question is crawling down something vertical, but when climbing over a ledge? Makes no sense whatsoever. That piece of art is trash.

Excellent point. I hand't really checked out the Spider Woman bit until after I'd posted my pics :)

Milo Manara does erotic comics and he does them quite well.  Both the poise and his execution would have been just fine in his native art form in that she wouldn't have been crawling over a ledge and there would have been someone behind her.  Marvel choice to use Milo Manara to do the cover for Spider-Woman #1 tells a lot about their editorial staff and its mindset and priorities.  It's sad.

It looks like he completely abandoned his usual style in that one. It's way below what I'm looking at on a quick Google search. Even if the figure drawing and face were better, the composition would still suck. He phoned that one in.

http://lesstitsnass.tumblr.com/post/95253962172/its-a-two-fer-courtesy-of-dcwomenkickingass

I think some of these are kind of missing the point. Men and women are different and that shouldn't surprise anyone. Nor should the fact that men and women and more importantly the idea of masculinity and femininity are portrayed differently. The fact that they are portrayed differently doesn't seem shocking nor bad. Now, we could and should argue over how any given portrayal is bad and not just that men and women are not portrayed in the same way. 

How does that relate to the Cracked article (By the by, who uses Cracked for anything other than off-beat humor?):

#31 - men are not judge so much on the clothing we wear as it compares to someone else wearing the same outfit. We are judged by it all the same as it is a sign of our wealth, class, and prestige. 

#28-26 - These three have a running theme of making men look like sex objects for female amusement. This is somehow suppose to be shocking but seems to forget that men are already portrayed like that - Have you seen any number of underwear or diet-soda ads? Men are blatantly sexualized all the same. 

#25 - So, the issue here is that women are assumed to not be handy with cars. I can understand the trouble that can cause. But lets be real, men are assumed to be incompetent with: housework, children, tests, directions, decision making, dealing with emotions, and a plethora of other issues. Indeed, the Hyper-Competent mother and Hypo-Competent father is the most basic troupe of modern family-sitcoms. 

#24 - Male tits are not sex objects yet female ones are: Oh the humanity! Okay, I get it, we don't want to over sexualize a fairly basic part of our body - especially one not needed for procreation anyway. But the not being able to show breasts bit has been laxing more and more every year and we are likely to see it not being so taboo in my generation. Yet still, men can't go around showing off our groin section - which is the male equivalent. Once again, the gotcha pick fails to understand that men and women are different and so our sexualization will be displayed differently. 

#20 - There are male strip clubs and dining establishments that cater to female audiences. For those interested in seeing some beef-cakes on display, feel free to visit Chippendales.

#17 - There are countless male characters who are purposely designed to be modern Apollos. 

#15 - Spreading awareness about the potential of sexual violence is good. I think the ad, as they have it, is a bit too in your face but perhaps that is a good thing. Secondly, spreading awareness should not be limited to one group alone as both sexes can be and are victims of sexual violence. 

-------------

All in all, I think we have issues to solve but this "if it were men" ads are stupid and meaningless because they don't get the point. I think places like Cracked are the perfect place for such things because these 1 for 1 swaps ought to be relegated to where they belong: cheap comedy. 

La Rose. 

Okay, so I am going to put on my crass and cranky MRA-ish hat on for a bit now. 

First, the problem with "the casual cruelty" against women is that people seem to think that just because the problem affects women that is important and seem to be ignoring that it is a feature that is pervasive and non-discriminating. By ignoring half of the equation we deny ourselves any chance at real progress. It is like saying "The problem with lung cancer in women" 

Second, the existence of casual violence is not new. Indeed, we have all watched countless times as people whose sole reason for being is to die dramatically, die. Indeed, so much so that we have given given this troupe its own name: RedShirt. But if we were to really look into the pure numbers of characters who are violently dispatched (killed or otherwise) in media (TV, Movies, Games, etc) we would likely find that men by FAR are the majority. Yet despite it happening all the time to men it is not an issue. And why is it not an issue? 

The simple answer to the above quandary is this: women have inherent value for existing and men don't. Why is it that there exist a trope of doing harm to a female character? Because people find such acts emotionally evocative and in a way that the mere switching of genders would greatly lessen. Why? Because women have value in their existence. It is an accepted state of affairs  that by merely existing a woman has some kind of basic value that ought to shield her from terrible outcomes. And that is a good thing. It is something that should exist. But it is something that should exist for all people regardless of sex. But sadly it doesn't. 

We live in a society where woman have value and men must earn it. What makes the death of a male character important is the fact that that character did, is doing, or reasonably could do something important. Indeed, his life is never given importance, only his actions. That is why we don't care about no-name RedShirts - it was their role to die and in performing that action, they attained the only value they could earn.  

Lets bring this into a bit of a trivial but hyper game related example: Why is any death of Mario important? Because if he dies, the princess can't be saved. Not because some person is dying, but because some deed can no longer be accomplished; thus the disposibility of man. Why would the death of Princess Peach be important? Because P.Peach is important in and of herself. Enough so that the death of countless male-commoners and the perils of our titular heroes is not enough to outweigh her value from purely existing; again, only the actions of the heroes are important, not their lives. 

This is why when we hear of some tragedy where people die, we always feel the need to highlight the number of women and children who die. Because doing so evokes greater emotional connection - Men die, such is life. About the only way a man gets highlighted is if he has done something worth noting like being a father. 

And now that we have some outcries to protect women from casual violence in video games and other media, I can't help but wonder where the concern for humanity as a whole is. And given that it is an issue being raised by people who would like to claim they are fighting for equality, I can't help but find their interest purely self-serving and demonstrably out of sync with their own stated goals. 

Anyway, that is my rant for the night. Just remember, just because it is a man dying doesn't mean it isn't important. 

La Rose.