Turning into living, semi-liquid metal

Steffen

Hello!

I hope someone can help me help my girlfriend build a superheroine with the power to transform her body into semi-liquid metal.

Her powers should resemble those of "Terminator 2"'s T-1000 but without the ability to mimic people or objects. The main focus are stretching powers. I think one of DC's Metal Men does have similar powers but I cannot find a writeup.

The character needs to transform all of her body into metal before she can stretch or squeeze through bars etc. She will only later learn to transform single limbs.

We're thinking about using Density Increase + Resistant Protection as the Body of Metal power and linking all additional powers (Stretching, Desolidification...) to it. Is this a reasonable approach?

The character should be vulnerable to cold, her metal body slowly starting to freeze at about -10°C/+14°F. I think Susceptibility to Cold (Drain SPD + DEX) does describe this correctly.

In addition the character should be unable to revert to flesh and blood once her metal form starts freezing. How can this be done? Is it another Complication or a Limitation to Density Increase?

Thank you for your help. :)

Re: Turning into living, semi-liquid metal

IMO you are on the right track with your build. Stretching, desolidification and resistant protection are all good choices for this type of character, and the susceptibility to cold is good too. You might consider multiform instead of density increase. Then you can make the inability to change to her normal form when cold a limitation on that form.

Edit: It might also make sense for her not be able to change into her metal form when it's cold. Then both forms could be taken with the limitation 'can't change into when cold'.

I would also put at least somethe 'living semi-liquid metal stretching' powers is a multpower framework.

she can then add new power tricks with ease :)

-say making her hand in to a lockpick or a swingline.

hmm, is she going for a Brick, Energy Projector (make hands in to gun type of thing) or Martal artist type of Metamorph?

thou with the freedom of useing a framework and/or multiform she can change it up

You might consider multiform instead of density increase. Then you can make the inability to change to her normal form when cold a limitation on that form.

It might also make sense for her not be able to change into her metal form when it's cold. Then both forms could be taken with the limitation 'can't change into when cold'.

I thought about Multiform, too, but was not sure if it was appropriate. I'll have to check this more thoroughly.

I like the idea of being stuck to one form when it's cold. Not sure if my girlfriend will like it, though... ;)

I'm assuming 6e' date=' so you might use [i']unified power[/i] limitation rather than linked as linked usually requires a smaller power being linked to a greater one (IIRC).

Good choice of powers btw.

You can link greater powers to smaller ones, too, but at a higher cost but I'll definitely have a look at Unified Power, thanks.

Okay, let's see:

Desolidification, can't pass through solid objects (only squeeze through cracks), does not affects held/picked up items. Maybe also limited protection against damage. Concentration might also be a good limitation (limits movement to 2m/phase).

Use: the T-1000 move through the bars in the second movie.

Stretching:

Allows her to make HTH-Attacks on Range, wich means she could add her natural STR and would not suffer range penalties. However the use also suffers damage shields.

Killing Attack:

The T-1000 move of transforming his hands into blades.

Clinging:

T-1000 trick to transform his hadns into hooks.

Defenses:

Physical Defense/Resistant defense, Physical Damage Reducition, Physical Damage Negation up to Brick level. I would tend mostly towards simple, plain PD and rPD.

Could also justify energy Defenses that way.

No Hit Location/Does not Bleed:

If your game uses Hit Location or extended bleeding rules, these powers migh work. But I don't expect either to be used in superheroic games.

Takes no STUN:

No mater how well it would seem to work, never ever use it for PC's or relevant NPC's. Not even robot/zombie (N)PC's. This power means the only way to take the character down is to kill him/her.

It's usually easiest to use the stunning & K.O. rules to simulate "splintered/splashed into very tiny pieces, and has to pull himself together again".

Density Increase & Growth:

To make certain you know what you are gettign yourself into, these are limited forms of the common Brick Characteritics (STR, Defenses, KB-Resistance). These powers work very well in making ersatz-bricks. They are especially good for putting them into a Multipower and save even more points (that have a very good effect too Active Point Ratio). They are not the way you should go for a main-line brick, esp. the endurance cost makes them unfeasible for this.

Also, if the the character (or the alternate form of a Multiform character) is permanently big/heavy, better us the Size/Wieght Templates instead. Growth/DI are for people who can change thier weight/height, usually freely.

The Shape Shift Effect:

While she won't have the power in the classical sense (copying people), transforming from "flesh and blood human" to "liquid metal women" can give her effects similar to a full Sensory Shape Shift with genetic adder (one alternate form).

If you built her using Multiform, you get that effect for free.

If you built her using "Only in alternate ID", many GM's will allow her to get that effect for free as part of the limitations. Others will demand to buy ever effect.

In both chases consider lowering her Secret Identity Complciation, if it is very hard to link "Metal Women" and "F&B-Women". (I personally would allow full sensory shape shift just as special effect of not having an identity related complication).

• 3 weeks later...

hmm, is she going for a Brick, Energy Projector (make hands in to gun type of thing) or Martal artist type of Metamorph?

thou with the freedom of useing a framework and/or multiform she can change it up

She's going for a Brick type.

She's going for a Brick type.

Bricks tend to have high STR - usually so much, thier STR gives them all the Damage Classes they need to archive campaign average*

It's sometimes wise to put part of the STR into a Multipower, so you can put alternative attacks (HKA's, "Area of Effect, No Range") in there as well.

Defenses should be between 2.5 and 3 or mroe times the Average DC with enough CON to not be Stunned on average DC hit.

OCV/DCV should be on the lower end.

Stretching is a good way to attack at range. It has minimal costs as compared to buy a full 12 DC Blast, but also some downsides (like Damage Shields and beign exposed to Grab).

Then, all you need to figure out how her STR and Defense are limited relative to the ones of "Superman"**, who has his power all the time. That he cannot use them while running around as Clark Kent, is a problem of his Secret Identity Complication and not something inherent in his powers.

*for a Standart Superheroic game that would be 12 DC or 60 STR.

**ignore that he has weaknesses as well, for this exercise.

Thank you for all your suggestions, they were very helpful. We actually went with Multiform as suggested by Ranxerox and it seems to represent the character best.

I stumbled upon another problem: How do you build a power that allows the character to squeeze her arm under a door while still be able to use her hand on the other side?

According to the rules this should be represented by buying "Affects Physical World (+2)" for STR but this seems to be unreasonably expensive.

I see that an intangible character with this advantage is very powerful but she is not as she is limited by "Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2)" and "Doesn't Protect Against Damage (-1)".

So why does "Only To Protect Against [Limited Type OF Attack] (-1)" grant the character an Affects Physical World Advantage for free (at the GM's option) (6E1 193) while "Doesn't Protect Against Damage (-1)" does not (6E1 192)? This doesn't seem to make sense...

I'm about to ignore this rule and grant Affects Physical World for free but maybe I missed something. Did I?

Thank you for all your suggestions, they were very helpful. We actually went with Multiform as suggested by Ranxerox and it seems to represent the character best.

I stumbled upon another problem: How do you build a power that allows the character to squeeze her arm under a door while still be able to use her hand on the other side?

Either the "trade dimension" option of Stretching (making the arm Elastic man flat), or selective Desolidification as you foudn it.