THE MONSTER HUNTER INTERNAIONAL EMPLOYEES' HANDBOOK & RPG Is Now Live!

Steve Long

Re: THE MONSTER HUNTER INTERNAIONAL EMPLOYEES' HANDBOOK & RPG Is Now Live!

Backed. Shockingly' date=' Derek wasn't first. I have no idea how that happened.[/quote']

That was me, actually. "Mark Space" is a pseudonym I use in various places online; "gojira" just happened because of Go website I was on at the time I registered here. I guess I just happened to be cruising the Hero forums when Steve posted, so I lucked out and got in before anyone else.

Is there someplace to see upcoming kickstarters so that those of us with limited finances can plan ahead of time to pledge to something like this? 30 days is a lot ill grant you but the timing is awkward for me (coming as it is right before christmas).

Is there someplace to see upcoming kickstarters so that those of us with limited finances can plan ahead of time to pledge to something like this? 30 days is a lot ill grant you but the timing is awkward for me (coming as it is right before christmas).

The intent to have a MHI in October was announced back in August. I'm not sure there's a centralized place to watch for these announcements though. Maybe Jason could start a "planned/tentative kickstarter projects" in the kickstarter forum here, so there would be a central place?

Also: well past 50% now.

I noticed that Jason posted on Kickstarter that ideas for rewards for stretch goals where being considered. I'll toss some ideas out:

1. First, any stretch goal should probably have "We'll print X more core rule books for the store to sell to everybody." I assume that's a given but it should probably be communicated clearly.

2. MHIEHBRPG How to Play PDF. This seems like a good idea. Two sample characters, a couple of monsters, and one of those "pick your path" adventures for solo play that also introduce the basic die rolls, and explain how the character sheets work. This would add additional rules explanation over the core book (seems useful if space gets tight), as well as work like a "teaser" for folks who might be new to Hero System. I don't advocate giving stuff away but this is the one thing where it would be really useful to make it a free download.

3. Monster Hunter "Rank Insignia" patches. At different stretch goals make a make a Private, Lieutenant, Corporal, Captain, etc. insignia with the MHI happy monster face also on them.

4. Moar color arts. Additional plates in the book of additional characters, action scenes, etc. One thing I'd really like to see is a color plate with all the different types of weapons accurately pictured, and labeled, so we can see what the heck they look like.

5. As above, but the same artwork as a print. The Order of the Stick had a really high quality print as a part of its Kickstarter; seriously try to find out how Rich printed that because it was really really nice looking for only an 8.5" x 11". I think it was printed on something like Kodak paper, and the print itself was just ultra sharp too -- this wasn't just somebody's laser printer.

6. Note pad with MHI letterhead printed on it.

7. Fridge magnet with MHI happy monster face on it.

8. Stickers of various artworks, but especially the guns, so you can stick them on your books and character sheets and "carry around" some heavy ordnance with you. ;)

OK I think I'm empty, good luck folks. :)

First, just to be clear, I'm the one posting over on the Kickstarter page. Jason has enough to do these days so I'm riding herd on the MHI Kickstarter. ;)

We're considering lots of ideas, but just to respond to your first one, gojira: there is no way in the Multiverse that "more core books" is going to be considered as a stretch goal, not unless we get far, far into the six figures. Reprinting both core books from scratch could easily cost more than we're trying to raise for the MHI RPG.

We definitely want to come up with some good stretch goals, but we have to be very, very careful with them. The $45,000 goal is basically Hero's "break even" point on this project; it's not designed to net Hero Games a large profit at that point. (The profit would come from additional sales after the fact, etc.) So any extras we want to add are going to have to be planned in advance to make sure we don't end up losing money on the whole deal.

First' date=' just to be clear, [i']I'm[/i] the one posting over on the Kickstarter page. Jason has enough to do these days so I'm riding herd on the MHI Kickstarter. ;)

Ah, good to know. The tag line said "Gerlach Empire", so I did assume it was Jason.

there is no way in the Multiverse that "more core books" is going to be considered as a stretch goal... Reprinting both core books from scratch could easily cost more than we're trying to raise for the MHI RPG.

No no no... not those core books. I meant the MHIEHBRPG itself as a core book. I assume that whatever geegaws, PDFs and suchlike gets added at each stretch goal, more copies of MHIEHBRPG will also be printed.

Wow. Don't take this the wrong way, but after recent Kickstarter experiences for Hero projects I really didn't expect this one to achieve its goal, let alone get so far toward it so fast. I need to think about the implications of this. :think:

Ah, good to know. The tag line said "Gerlach Empire", so I did assume it was Jason.

Yup, that's 'cause he set up the account. ;) And usually it is him posting under the Hero banner on Kickstarter. But in this particular case I'm helping out in exchange for a really good trade and a draft pick next year. ;)

No no no... not those core books. I meant the MHIEHBRPG itself as a core book. I assume that whatever geegaws, PDFs and suchlike gets added at each stretch goal, more copies of MHIEHBRPG will also be printed.

Ah, sorry, I totally misunderstood. Yes, increasing the size of the print run with a higher amount of funding is certainly a possibility.

I need to think about the implications of this.

I don't think there's any real mystery here. It's the benefits of being associated with a NYT bestselling series of novels that have a really enthusiastic fanbase. While I would personally rather create our own stuff than do licensed games, the blunt fact is that Larry's fans outnumber Hero fans by a considerable margin -- and fortunately for us many of them are not shy about expressing their love of his works by pledging money in support of the Kickstarter. :)

Yup' date=' that's 'cause he set up the account. ;) And usually it is him posting under the Hero banner on Kickstarter. But in this particular case I'm helping out in exchange for a really good trade and a draft pick next year. ;)[/quote']

Stay away from Greg Oden! :eek:

Victory! We passed the $45,000 mark earlier this morning.

Now we enter the "even more cool stuff" phase of the project. ;) We've already announced our first stretch goals, so please check 'em out! And we have plenty more beyond that if we continue to get backers. :D

Victory! We passed the $45,000 mark earlier this morning.

Now we enter the "even more cool stuff" phase of the project. ;) We've already announced our first stretch goals, so please check 'em out! And we have plenty more beyond that if we continue to get backers. :D

And that brings us to international hardcopies. Huzzah!

I'm in - or I will be, come payday.

• 3 weeks later...