Galactic Champions

Opale

Aloha !

Here is my question.

Who ever played or Game mastered a Galactic Champions campaign.

I'd be interested in having a big sum up and advises about running such a thing.

Where to find inspirationnal readings, movies, and other RPG that help getting the setting.

Friendly and thanks in advance

Cosmic Opale

Re: Galactic Champions

Played in several but they broke up early due to outside RL issues.

In general, the characters will be more powerful but not necessarily hyper-competent. Multipowers rather than VPP's should be the norm. The smaller the group, the more powerful the characters need to be.

A group vehicle is very common and can often do double duty as the group base.

Good resources: Comics from DC would be Green Lantern titles and Legion of Super-Heroes, Marvel would be Silver Surfer, Captain Marvel(not the current run), Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor.

Cartoons and Anime: The Green Lantern and Legion of Super-Heroes series are you best bets here. Anime with the proper feel would be Kiddy Grade, Dirty Pair and the various Tenchi Muyo series( excepting Tenchi in Tokyo)

The smaller the group, the more powerful the characters need to be.

A group vehicle is very common and can often do double duty as the group base.

thank you for the resources provided.

up here two questions come to my mind.

I guessed Galactic Champions Characters should be 700 CP. But does that mean if I have only say 2-3 players I should up this amount ? An average scale in mind ?

Second part is Base & Vehicles : I tend to think enforcing the payment of all bases & Vehicles by PCs make them more intimate and teamworking, as without access to facilities you do much less, and that they don't want to loose someone that invested points in such a thing. (I know it's odd to say but it works well with players of mine).

Do you think in Galactic Champions such facilities should be left for free as they are so easy to get like a car in Champions Era ?

Opale

I don't think you need to up the points for PC's but rather lower the NPCs some. Smaller groups of players need to cover a broader spectrum instead of a narrow focus. Lowering the NPCs will make the PCs relatively more powerful.

As far as bases and vehicles go, that will depend very much on the campaign. If the PC's are sanctioned they tend to use organization base and vehicles. Independents will generally be based from their vehicle or capable of interstellar transport on their own power.

Digital Hero #5 & #41 for Star*Guard Articles

Galactic Champions & Champions Beyond for Sourcebooks.

Resources found on my [Campaign] Galactic Champions: Federated Super Teams 5th & 6th Editions.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/86955-Galactic-Champions-Federated-Super-Teams

Good Luck

QM

Well, the project I and Major Tom 2009 are working on, because of the time travel aspect, is supose to be for both Champions and Galactic Champions. I'm curently working on thinking up an 'future' Malhkronos point spread, so both versions can be used in a campain. (Yes, thanks Marvel and Kang, Imortius, Rama-Tut, Iron Lad, Scarlet Centerian, and whoever else I missed). If we finaly get it published, praze be the lord.

Nebula of the Tel'Narian Guard is from the Andromeda Galaxy. One of the ideas I concidered was the the Andromeda Galaxy possessed a different set of Natural Laws. Basicly a Standard Superhero Level Character here was a Galactic Level Superhero there.

Time Travel could have simular effects as the Natural Laws of the Champions Universe change over time.

QM

I've played in a high-powered Galactic level game, not GC per se. The characters were in the 900-1000 point range.

We found that sticking to a schtick for each character to be very important. The 'speedster' was cranked all the way (SPD12, DEX68), and had abilities no one else could do. One character had a lot of lore skills, and were the defacto expert in that arena. While the fast character could never be hit, another character could be hit, but was so tough it didn't matter.

It made sure the team always worked as a team, overcoming each others blind spots, and using each others abilities to maximum effectiveness.

I just started GMing a Galactic Champions campaign this past weekend. The characters and storylines are inspired mostly by the Annihilation - War of Kings - Realm of Kings story arcs from Marvel. Annihilation is one of my favorite Marvel series ever, and many the cosmic heavy hitters (Adam Warlock, Silver Surfer, Drax the Destroyer, Nova Prime, Galactus' various heralds) put in appearances.

My campaign has a 750 pt. limit, plus I'm spotting each PC a choice of either Full Life Support or FTL Travel for free. Make sure you have a dice-rolling app handy, and get ready for lots of KB damage. Also, be ready for anything. I have PCs with Extradimensional Teleportation, planet-wide Clairsentience, 10+ dice worth of HKA and the like; very fun, but very unpredictable.

Thanks to all for the advises, links, resources ! :)

Will be very handy.

I'm just starting to think about the setting and see what I can come with.

For example, one of my player wants to play an alien race with story and abilities derived from the Protoss Race.

I tend to enforcing certain things when players come with an idea of themselves about an unknown civilzation, and ask them to work about it for me.

So any link or resources about Protoss/Zerg stuff welcome aswell.

Opale

I guess the other thing is to enforce team jobs.

Faceman, Fixer, Fighter, Getaway/Transport, Scientist.

with a higher amount of points people may want to generalize, but for the fun

of all, make them specialize. Then you as GM can make scenarios where each player

can have their turn being the one to save the day with their specialty.