Silver Age villain concepts: The Seven Perils

assault

This is just a silly idea that has been floating around my head: villains based on various "perils" feared by 50s era paranoids, and coded according to the colours of the spectrum.

So we have:

Red Peril - obvious.

Orange Peril - ??

Yellow Peril - OMG the Chinese are coming!

Green Peril - The Evil Weed, drawing inspiration from films like Reefer Madness.

Blue Peril - ??

Indigo Peril - ??

Violet Peril - actually Lavender. 'Cos Gay people are scary, if you're a McCarthyite paranoid.

Orange (as Saffron) can have an association with Hinduism, and eastern religion in general, particularly mediated through the hippies. Of course, for a 50s flavour, hippies would be replaced by Beatniks. It's a bit of a stretch though.

Blue could be associated with Cherenkov radiation, and thus Radioactive Monsters. In other words, the Hulk would be blue, not green.

Indigo?? Well, if you ignore that space is actually black, I suppose it could be associated with aliens. Very weak, though.

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Note that the only Political Correctness that belongs here is that of McCarthyism. "Un-Americans" are Eeevil.

Re: Silver Age villain concepts: The Seven Perils

I thought of that' date=' but it's not really a McCarthyite peril. More the opposite, unfortunately. (McCarthy himself was a Catholic of mostly Irish descent though).[/quote']

Sure, but not every '50s peril would have to be McCarthyite in nature. Ramp up the anti-Catholism, freemasonry, and potential KKK comparisons, and you might have something.

It's not '50s related, really, but the whole '70s "indigo children" movement might provide some ideas as well.

Re: Silver Age villain concepts: The Seven Perils

The fears of McCarthyites also included rock-and-roll, of course. This could be the Blue Peril (or rather, the "Blues Peril") in reference to rhythm and blues, from which rock was a direct descendant.

The indigo peril may refer to the fears of racists - I've heard of people (in Wisconsin) referring to especially dark skin as "indigo black".