Monday Morning Music Trios

Pariah

"Have You Ever Been Lonely" by Jim Reeves and Patsy Cline - Particularly interesting in that both artists recorded the song, but never together.  The two recordings were mixed and mastered together to make it a duet two decades after their deaths.

Duets are a thing I seem to have none of on the iPod. Not too big a surprise, because I am not all that fond of featured vocalists. Even from the Indigo Girls, who principally do duets, the one track I have is not a duet: it's actually a trio with Amy and Emily and an (uncredited) male vocalist in their "Prince of Darkness". Rodrigo y Gabriela are a guitar duo, so they might qualify, with "Diablo Rojo"and "Tamacun".

But vocal duets? Not got.

New Topic: Three Songs by Bands that Don't Really Exist

(Fictional groups, in other words.)

Strangely enough, you missed an obvious one, depending on definitions: "With a Little Help From My Friends" is purportedly performed by Billy Shears and Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, at least in the movie.

Also, does Spinal Tap fall in this category?

1.  "Carmen" by Toto (from Isolation)

There was no way Isolation could ever have lived up to the success of Toto IV, and there was a new lead vocalist to complicate matters. In terms of sales, Isolation was a big disappointment.  Musically, it had a harder edge than its predecessor and is arguably just as good an album.

2.  "Congo" by Genesis (from Calling All Stations)

Calling All Stations had the misfortune to be the first Genesis album made after Phil Collins left the band. And, as it turned out, the last.  It's too bad, because it was a good collection of songs.  "Congo" probably would have been a Top 10 single had it featured Phil's vocals.

3.  "Tempus Fugit" by Yes (from Drama)

Many fans don't even consider Drama a Yes album. But this album features some of the best guitar/bass interplay that Steve Howe and Chris Squire ever put together, including on this song.  Plus, this album was direct predecessor to another one of my favorite bands--Asia.

1. The song that I'd have chosen was actually the lead single from "Isolation":

2. Back in 1988, MCA Records was in the process of trying to sell itself off (it eventually became Universal Music Group), and they decided that the next Kansas album should be more "commercial" (enforced by having outside composers write songs designed for airplay). Within a few weeks of release, MCA pulled funding for merchandising the album, and decided to cancel a bunch of older acts in favor of new acts like Tiffany. I remember seeing In the Spirit of Things in a cutout bin within 6 weeks of release at the local Warehouse Records due to MCA's policy shift.

3. Yes in 1980 had lost its keyboardist and lead singer, and the remaining band members decided to invite some musicians working in a nearby studio to fill those parts. As Pariah notes, the resulting album was controversial, and many Yes fans look at Drama as something apart from the rest of the Yes catalog. And that's partially true, as many of the songs that appeared on it were to also appear (in different forms) on works by Horn and Downes, as the Buggles.

"Into the Lens" by Yes from Drama:

"I Am a Camera" by the Buggles from Adventures in Modern Recording:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNNZl300klA

These songs are under appreciated by the wider mainstream audience, but are highly thought of / known within the British folk scene. Sandy Denny sings on all of them, and wrote the 1st and 3rd songs. 

1. Fairport Convention - Who Knows Where The Time Goes (from Unhalfbricking)

2. Fairport Convention - Tam Lin (from Liege & Lief) 

3. Sandy Denny - It'll Take A Long Time (from Sandy)

1. The Angels (Angel City in the US) - Dawn Is Breaking (No Exit / Live at La Trobe University 1979)

2. Cold Chisel - Misfits (from the Misfits single -- okay technically not an album, but underrated & under apppreciated)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Ba-gBgk-Y

3. Sandy Denny - Here in silence (from Pass Of Arms soundtrack)

The flute(?) instrumental is one of my favourite pieces of music and totally is not in the mood of the song. 

2. Back in 1988, MCA Records was in the process of trying to sell itself off (it eventually became Universal Music Group), and they decided that the next Kansas album should be more "commercial" (enforced by having outside composers write songs designed for airplay). Within a few weeks of release, MCA pulled funding for merchandising the album, and decided to cancel a bunch of older acts in favor of new acts like Tiffany. I remember seeing In the Spirit of Things in a cutout bin within 6 weeks of release at the local Warehouse Records due to MCA's policy shift.

I hadn't listened to that album in a long, long time. I put it on today whilst writing a final exam.  Good memories.

And of course I had to listen to the Kansas albums just before and after In the Spirit of Things (Power and Freaks of Nature, respectively), just for the sake of continuity.