Fantasy Swordsman - How much Mental Defense?

phydaux

Re: Fantasy Swordsman - How much Mental Defense?

in a 150 pt game Mental powers like mind control,mental illusions are next to worthless(figure a 45pt active max)

the mage,succubus,psionic,etc is going to have to drain you to zero ego then mind control or do a transform to have any real effect

12d6 of mind control has a hard time vs a 10 ego super keeping them under control for any length of time

IMHO you would be better served by taking some power def like 5 pts

Flash def or a non-sight targeting sense is something to consider

figure at spd 4 a 9d6 flash could have you blind for 3 of 4 attacks you could possible do in a turn

None. Unless there is some compelling reason in the character's background, I don't see a fighter type having Mental Defense at all (or any exotic defense really). They might acquire a magic item during adventuring perhaps that would give them some exotic defenses though. Your campaign setting might be different, but I don't usually think of anyone but wizards and maybe the rare monk-type buying Mental Defense, and even that would probably be uncommon.

I could see a fighter-type who trained while blind-folded in order to buy Combat Sense just in case he had to fight in the dark. Then he could fight while Flashed, but I don't see him buying not Flash Defense flat out.

In a 150 point campaign where every party should reasonable be expected to include at least one magic user, how much Mental Defense do you guys put on your fighter-types?

Do you even bother with Flash Defense?

For a typical FH game I can't remember a single character that I have made in the last 20 years that had either Mental or Flash Defense (or power defense for that matter). Unless you start seeing a ton of monsters that have mind control etc, I wouldn't worry about it.

In fact the only reason to raise your Ego is to make Pushing easier (Heroic pushing requires an Ego Roll)

in a 150 pt game Mental powers like mind control,mental illusions are next to worthless(figure a 45pt active max)

the mage,succubus,psionic,etc is going to have to drain you to zero ego then mind control or do a transform to have any real effect

12d6 of mind control has a hard time vs a 10 ego super keeping them under control for any length of time

8-9d6 of mind control can actually be really effective in a fantasy game, if you can get past the idea of just using MC for brute-force, make-friends-attack-each-other effects. If your goal is +20 points of effect, that plus a Presence Attack, successful Interaction Skill roll, or just well roleplayed dialogue, can convince most subjects to do all sorts of things they normally wouldn't. A succubus could at least get most sexually-receptive opponents to lower their guard long enough to attack them unimpeded.

You also want to establish whether the GM is allowing the Haymaker Maneuver. By the most recent rules, any attack can be Haymakered, including Mental Powers.

I have also never seen a need to use it in a generic game. I believe some of my players had it in a Dark Sun Campaign, where Psionic abilities are common and magic is little used.

I have had several players have power defense with Limitation; Only vs. Ingested Poison. Although this was in a Fantasy Political Setting, where assasination was a common occurance and exotic poisons from the southern jungles were common.

At the start of a game I usually talk with my players and advice them on any potential factors which might come into the game which would effect their character build or background. In the case of the Political Setting I said that accidents, food poisoning and illness had been the lose of many figures of importance.

I would recommend talking with your GM and finding out if he has any defensive power recommendation. If they are planning to use a lot of Adjustment Powers they might suggest some Power Defense or if Mental Combat is common Mental Defense.

But if the game is generic fantasy I would not bother with Power, Mental or Flash Defense.