Power Creation: Wound Transfer

dropblack

A compound Power, Healing (that I'd buy as Simplified) and a NND Blast, both with the same "Damage Class". Limited as appropriate. I'd use the same effect dice roll for both.

Edit: Of course, the NND Blast Does Body, and the Defense would be some kind of mystical/magic defense power. Only Versus Sentient Humanoid Creatures might be worth -½ or a -1, depending on the campaign.

Probably bought as 2 powers. First Power is the Heal, which is the first attack. Second attack is a RKA vs Power Defense. Limited to doing as much damage as the First Attack Healed. The PC could either use the heal one phase and the RKA in the next phase, or do it as a Multiple power attack at half DCV and -2 OCV for each.

Another possibility is have one of the powers triggered off the success of the first. If you are trying to get technical about exactly how it works it can get tricky (technically this sort of power should check that the attack roll hits first (since you cant heal if you miss), then do the heal, then do damage to the target that was hit (since you cant do more damage to the target than was healed).

For this reason i would probably build it as an attack with a limitation that there must be a wound to heal and it cannot do more damage than the wound being transferred. Then have a heal triggered off the success of the attack, possibly limited to no more than the result of the attack, or GM Optioned to be the same as the damage done. If the heal is less than the wound that is sfx'd as "imperfect transfer" and failed to heal/transfer fully.

edit: somehow missed the fact that bigby just suggested the same thing. Blame it on lack of sleep :P

Thanks all, these are great ideas. I'm thinking this character can heal other people's wounds at range and either transfer the wounds to herself or to someone else. This would be at reduced END. She'd have another power to heal at range without the need to transfer the wound but that would cost END. NND for sure, I'm thinking Defense would be being an automaton/robot of some kind. 

If the wounds have to go to someone else, I would make the attack the primary power.  Perhaps add a trigger on the Heal as well.

Indeed the main Problem is that the effect is: Damage a Foe, Heal an Ally.

If it was "Heal Ally, damage yourself (or suiteable, willing donor)" Side Effect would be good enough.

But healing and damaging are both Attack Powers.. Each of those would normally end your phase. If you put both in a Multipower, you cannot Multiple Attack with those two unless you can have both Slotted at the same time (unlikely or not going to be powerfull).

This might be one of those cases where "what works in Fiction does not nessesarily works in a RPG". It sounds all very easy and balanced in concept/original interpretation, but the RPG has to make sure things are actually balanced in gameplay.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the radio silence. Been bedridden, sick.

I'd like the power to work this way:

Option one: Heal at range without transferring the wound at all (has END cost)

Option two: Heal at range and transfer the wound to an unwilling target (has END cost)

Option three: Heal at range and transfer the wound to oneself or a willing target (no END cost)

I suppose this may be a few different powers. Thanks all for helping me figure this out. I've begun creating the character but it's been slow going.

Sorry for the radio silence. Been bedridden, sick.

I'd like the power to work this way:

Option one: Heal at range without transferring the wound at all (has END cost)

Option two: Heal at range and transfer the wound to an unwilling target (has END cost)

Option three: Heal at range and transfer the wound to oneself or a willing target (no END cost)

I suppose this may be a few different powers. Thanks all for helping me figure this out. I've begun creating the character but it's been slow going.

I think Healing with a Side Effect (empathic self damage) is still the best way to build the foundation of this ability.

After creating the actual Healing ability you then build a Naked buy-off of the Side Effect.  This Naked buy-off then has a Limitation defining 2 ways in which it can work: (#1 Pay Increased END for using the Healing.  #2 Deal equivalent damage to someone else with an attack power* within the next Phase or two).  The attack power probably needs a Limitation to say it can only be used after Healing is used (pretty limiting imo).  It also probably needs some damage enhancing advantages like AVAD.

If the character Heals someone then 1 of 3 options occur:

1. He takes the Side Effect Damage.
  2. He pays the Increased END to prevent taking the damage himself.
  3. He makes another target take appropriate damage past defenses within a limited timeframe.  (If this 'transfer' attempt fails then he still takes the Side Effect damage).

This reminds me of the abilities shown by John Coffey from The Green Mile (except that he needed to touch someone to affect them)

So, bear with me, I'm still confused. I didn't see Naked Power among the Limitations in HD so for starters instead I created a bunch of separate powers this character might have (Listed below). Can you guys tell me how I can combine the the first three (Begone the Pain, Let Me Bear Your Pain, and Bear This Pain) into a suitable Power Framework, Compound Power, or a Power with a Naked buy off?

Begone The Pain:  Healing BODY 2d6, Ranged (+1/2) (30 Active Points)

Let Me Bear Your Pain:  Healing BODY 2d6, Ranged (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (40 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Stigmata suffers from the equivalent amount of damage she heals. ; -2)

Bear This Pain:  Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, No Normal Defense ([standard]; Defense is not being living or having a psychic or magic forcefield; +1) (60 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (Power can only be used up to 2 Phases after Let Me Bear Your Pain ; -1 1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (The damage done to the target is the equivalent  to that which Stigmata previously healed; -1/2)

Healing Touch:  Healing BODY 3d6, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection

Wound:  Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, Invisible Power Effects, Source Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2), No Normal Defense ([standard]; Defense is not being living or having a psychic or magic forcefield; +1) (112 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

Life Taker:  Drain BODY 2d6 (20 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Only works on the living; -1/4)

Thanks for the advice.

Here you go.
It's a nested build.
As constructed, the character can Heal someone but he either needs to pay 10 END upfront OR he can attempt to "transfer" the damage to someone else and risk taking the damage himself.

20 Begone The Pain: Healing BODY 2d6, Ranged (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (40 Active Points); "Bear this Pain" (Side Effect), Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect does a predefined amount of damage, Side Effect always occurs whenever the character does some specific act; -1)
[Notes: Side Effect is = to Damage Healed.]

6 Pay the Price  (Naked Buyoff of "Bear This Pain"): Custom Power (20 Active Points); The Price (Increased Endurance Cost) (x5 END; -2), Costs Endurance (-1/2)
[Notes: Base cost of "Pay The Price" = difference in Base Cost of "Begone the Pain" - Points saved by "Bear this Pain".] END = 10

6 Make Someone Else Pay - (Naked Buyoff of "The Price"): Custom Power (14 Active Points); Limited Power Character must do damage past defenses with Attack "The Pain" = to that Healed by "Bear this Pain" to another target within 2 Phases (-1 1/2)
[Notes: Base Cost of "Make Someone Else Pay" = difference in Base Cost of "Pay the Price" - Points saved by "The Price".]

48 The Pain: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), No Normal Defense ([standard] Defense is not being living or having a psychic or magic forcefield; +1), Does BODY (+1) (120 Active Points); Limited Power Power can only be used up to 2 Phases after "Begone The Pain" (-1 1/2)

You could certainly tweak the values of the Limited Power in both Make Someone Else Pay & The Pain.

Wound Transfer example.hdc

Here is version 2:

(Added the Decreased Re-use Duration Advantage to the Healing build.)

28    "Begone The Pain": Healing BODY 2d6, Ranged (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Decreased Re-use Duration (1 Turn; +1 1/2) (70 Active Points); "Bear this Pain" (Side Effect), Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect does a predefined amount of damage, Side Effect always occurs whenever the character does some specific act; (19 Real Points); -1), Others Only (-1/2)

[Notes: The Side Effect is taking Damage = to the Damage Healed.]

5    "Pay The Price"  (Naked Buyoff of "Bear This Pain"): Custom Power (19 Active Points); "The Price part 2" (Increased Endurance Cost) (x5 END; (8 Real Points); -2), "The Price part 1" (Costs Endurance) ((6 Real Points); -1/2)

[Notes: Base cost of "Pay The Price" is = to the difference in Base Cost of "Begone the Pain" - Points saved by "Bear this Pain".] END = 10

6    "Make Someone Else Pay" - (Naked Buyoff of "The Price"): Custom Power (14 Active Points); Limited Power Character must do damage past defenses with Attack "The Pain" = to that Healed by "Begone The Pain" to another target within 2 Phases (-1 1/2)

[Notes: Base Cost of "Make Someone Else Pay" is = to the difference in the Base Cost of "Pay the Price" - the Points saved by "The Price parts 1 & 2".]

37    "The Pain": Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), No Normal Defense ([standard] Defense is not being living or having a psychic or magic forcefield; +1), Does BODY (+1) (120 Active Points); Conditional Power Power can only be used up to 2 Phases after "Begone The Pain" (-1 1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Can Be Missile Deflected (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Power Maximum Damage is = to Damage Healed by "Begone The Pain" (-0)

[Notes: Unless Damage dealt to another by "The Pain" matches the Damage Healed by "Begone The Pain" within the 2 Phase minimum, the character takes the damage himself per the "Bear this Pain" Side Effect.]

Wound Transfer example v2.hdc