Well, it looks like GoblinWorks had to lay off most of their staff and Ryan is out as CEO. 

PFO is continuing mostly on the early enrollment subscribers - probably will be dying unless someone comes in and helps them fund the finish of the game. 

Kind of depressing. I hop on every night, gather, kill mobs and craft. it's soothing.

Got ganked for the first time as well. Really felt I was participating. 

It's a good thing this isn't exactly a news thread, because as usual, I find things a day or more (way more, usually) after the fact, but . . .

Wildstar now has a free to play date set: September 29th.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2015-09-02-wildstar-free-to-play-launches-september-29/

In the process of going free to play, they're also making a lot of what seem to be positive changes to the game. (Some are mentioned in the article, some by YouTubers, but I'm not posting those since most of them can't keep from using profanity every three seconds.) It looks like it'll be worth checking out. I liked the last round of changes they'd done when I poked my head in the door during the free trial I did a while back. Hopefully, the new changes will be as good.

Darkmoon Faire is open this week in World of Warcraft.  Ride the carousel for a bonus to xps and faction, and go swimming northwest of the island to find a sunken ship.  Under it is a cave with a level 100 elite which drops a toy.  She's a bit tough to fight (charms, huge aggro radius, the cave is swarming with various copies of her), but if you can get her solo someone with good gear can deal with her alone.  The toy turns you into her model which is very distinct and unique.

It's a good thing this isn't exactly a news thread, because as usual, I find things a day or more (way more, usually) after the fact, but . . .

Wildstar now has a free to play date set: September 29th.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2015-09-02-wildstar-free-to-play-launches-september-29/

In the process of going free to play, they're also making a lot of what seem to be positive changes to the game. (Some are mentioned in the article, some by YouTubers, but I'm not posting those since most of them can't keep from using profanity every three seconds.) It looks like it'll be worth checking out. I liked the last round of changes they'd done when I poked my head in the door during the free trial I did a while back. Hopefully, the new changes will be as good.

Yeah, I managed to get into the Closed Beta test yesterday.

Wildstar was something I was looking at when it first came out but the video card I had then had, um, issues with it.

Upgraded and then found that it was going free-to-play.  Which made me happy because I've been looking for some kind of Sci-fi based MMO for a while.  I'm kind of burnt on the ninety-nine bazillion fantasy mmos that have flooded the marked.

And, yea I know about STO and STOR, but I'm not a big fan of STO (and I've tried it a couple of times) and STOR oddly enough doesn't feel like Star Wars to me. (Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my trooper can't pick up a blaster and use it if he wants but all the cut-scenes show him with one . . . ).

But so far, I'm liking what I've seen of the FtP model and am setting aside some cash to purchase a few of the account unlocks when it goes live.

EDIT: The NPC to get the gifts from is the usual anniversary quest guy. He stands on the stage side of the Power House entrance, on the lower level. Wears a tux and top hat. Can't miss him.

Champions Online's Anniversary event is going on right now! I almost missed it. They have a good freebie this year, a Wasp Grav Bike. If you're like me and only login occasionally, go grab it! Like the UNTIL Shuttle, you have to get one per character, it's not shareable like normal vehicles.

7cacda6bb23c24268e826b49f03c33b713665339

According to MMORPG.com, the event is supposed to last all of September. I'm going to try to get a couple more characters to 39, then resub to grab the bikes on my freeforms. I have one of the cheap time cards from Amazon around here someplace. Probably in one of the boxes we still haven't unpacked, given my luck.

It looks like the play a villain thing has already devolved to spawn camping five Gronds right next to the vendor. They really need to find a way to get people to spread out. The Villain-ized PCs also have insane amounts of health, so killing them is too time consuming.

I think this feature will be fun in small doses. Which is what we'll probably see after people get the rewards they want (not many unique ones at that) and the shine wears off.

Apparently, the villains have a goal. There are UNTIL power armor guys spread across the map that they're supposed to kill.

Can't currently login, because some asshat has been hitting their servers with a DDOS. I hope they find him and do unmentionable things to him. This is screwing with my plans to sub and get my gold characters their grav bikes.

Article about Legion:

http://siliconangle.com/blog/2015/08/13/signs-that-legion-may-actually-fix-world-of-warcraft/

Most interesting tidbit (to me):

Without going into much detail, Hazzikostas explained that Legion would offer greater incentives for players continue playing through dungeons even at max level. He also promised that Legion would have more dungeons at launch than any other WoW expansion.

Though what I'd like to see most is the return of scenarios. Those were fun for our guild.

• 2 weeks later...

Wildstar is now free to play.

I'm attempting to launch it, but it looks like it's uninstalling the old version and completely reinstalling. I'm not sure if that's because I'm on my laptop, which I haven't been patching, or if it's doing that for everyone. I'll poke my head in the door and see what it looks like after it gets done installing, whenever that will be.

Edit: Found this post about a lighting pass they've done, which looks pretty good. It may be why the update is so large. The after pics look like a huge improvement over the original lighting.

So, it finally updated . . . slowing my computer to a complete crawl in the process . . . and I hit "play."

Unhandled NC Platform Error 15

I'm going to guess that they didn't learn anything from the first launch and it's going to be one of those weeks. I'll try to login again, and if it's still doing it, check back next week or something.

Well, it finally let me into the queue at least. Yay! Not seeing my characters on the login screen, which seems to be an issue for some folks, so we'll see how it shakes out. Timer on queue says hour and fourteen minutes, but it's never been accurate, so . . .

Edit: Ok, got in at 1:28, probably could have gotten in sooner, but was talking to the plumber. Seems like the queue situation isn't too bad, probably just had the authentication servers fart earlier.

• 1 month later...

Blizzcon kicked off this week, and preorders are now available for Legion . . . but I didn't care enough to post on the thread. I only popped in b/c I saw activity here. =)

I'll likely get the preorder sooner or later, probably wait for Christmas. I'm not really too jazzed about the expansion, though.

I haven't really been playing MMOs too much lately anyway, just too much other stuff to do at home.

The only classes I haven't capped are Monk, Priest and Warlock. I don't really care for the sheer bloat of the Monk, who has a really crowded action bar even in her mid 40's. So, it may be the Priest or Warlock. Lock is at 61, Priest in low 30s. I'll get the Priest to 60, then wait for the class changes to roll out before choosing. I may just blow it on an off server alt. My Horde main could use a Rogue to open lock boxes for him.

All in all, the boost isn't a huge incentive for me at this point. I've already decided to just focus on one character again next expansion, and it's hard to keep up with class changes on the classes that I do have/keep capped. So far, Legion looks to be just as, if nor more, alt unfriendly as WoD.

This expansion doesn't really interest me, but the last one didn't either and it turned out okay.

A lot of WoD was great, such as the leveling (first two times at least) and a lot of the QOL changes, and the tokens for gold bit, but it was also the first expansion that I felt a little ripped-off by. Though, to be honest, I'm not feeling too ripped off lately since I haven't had to pay the sub fee in months due to the tokens. The game is basically buy to play as long as I make a minimal effort to make some in game gold.

I was looking at some of the notes from Blizzcon on MMO-Champion, and it looks like they've got a few good changes in store. Two in particular that caught my eye were mining and herbing nodes being open tap, and the new transmog system giving you items from every quest the character's ever completed. If they come through with that last one, and it really is retroactive, that'll help my warrior complete a transmog set that's been bugging me for a while.