The Real USS Enterprise?

tkdguy

Breakthroughs happen unexpectedly, and sometimes radically chance our perspective and world. I don't expect one anytime soon. It may be the theory is incorrect. But if not, who knows when or where it will take place.

Even if the theory is sound, we would still have a problem with the energy source.

While the "Donut-Football" Shaped Alcubierre drive does reduce the energy costs quite a bit, we are still talking about total conversion of masses the size of the Voyager Probe.

Stellar Fusion only converts a measily 4% of the fuel mass into enegry. (or was it only 0.4%?).

As comparision, 1 KG of mass at total conversion would be an amount of energy equivalent to 1800 Hiroshima Bombs.

Even if the theory is sound, we would still have a problem with the energy source.

While the "Donut-Football" Shaped Alcubierre drive does reduce the energy costs quite a bit, we are still talking about total conversion of masses the size of the Voyager Probe.

Stellar Fusion only converts a measily 4% of the fuel mass into enegry. (or was it only 0.4%?).

As comparision, 1 KG of mass at total conversion would be an amount of energy equivalent to 1800 Hiroshima Bombs.

I'm aware of the energy problem. What I said about the warp theory also applies to the energy problem. Both remain big "ifs," and I don't expect break-throughs anytime soon -- or at all.

This is all putting the cart before the horse. What's more important than this rendering of a possible starship is that NASA is actually starting experiments to see if it's even possible to warp space. They are doing it on the microscopic level so they can do it with much lower amounts of power. Also these are the kinds of experiments that lead to breakthroughs and either confirm something is impossible or help to refine a technology. We aren't going to be building warp capable ships anytime soon. We have plenty of time to work out how to power the thing on a large scale.

The space-warp thing is a hypothesis at this point. Looong way to go to become a viable theory. And then you have to work out the mechanics of building something to actually warp space, and the energy requirements for doing so. Now, the good news is that quantum entanglement may ultimately lead to a viable form of FTL communication, which means we might be able to keep in touch with an FTL spacecraft on a contemporaneous basis.

Then we just need to build a 10000km long McKendree Cylinder to evac the system in a hurry if need be. :winkgrin:

Good call on quantum entanglement as a possible means of FTL comms. i also postulate it may be good for long range navigation as well.

You know, when I postulated this about a year ago, I had multiple people jump my a$$ that "it wasn't how QE works."

EDIT: On these very boards.

Color my mildly annoyed.

Though I'm glad I'm not the ONLY person who thinks QE can equal Ansible Network.

You know, when I postulated this about a year ago, I had multiple people jump my a$$ that "it wasn't how QE works."

EDIT: On these very boards.

Color my mildly annoyed.

Though I'm glad I'm not the ONLY person who thinks QE can equal Ansible Network.

I guarantee you it wasnt me that jumped on you as i am the master of baseless speculation and psuedo scientific conjecture.

And anyone who jumped on you and stating "thats not how QE works" is full of [EXPLETIVE DELETED] because even scientists are mystified by it.

I guarantee you it wasnt me that jumped on you as i am the master of baseless speculation and psuedo scientific conjecture.

And anyone who jumped on you and stating "thats not how QE works" is full of [EXPLETIVE DELETED] because even scientists are mystified by it.

It definitely wasn't you. In fact, I don't even remember who it was. It was so long ago that precisely zero fracks are given over who it was.

In fact, I'm finding increasingly hilarious that I'm not the only one who thought of it.