Magic Items - Aquiored & Starting

phydaux

Usually when I GM other systems I allow players to start the game with a "family heirloom."  This is usually a low level magic item of the player's choosing.

I'm looking to start a 100+50 campaign, and I'm wondering should I allow my players to buy magic items with points, or allow them to choose (or create) a magic item of their own?

I don't want them to buy magic items with their 100+50 points, because it the item gets lost or stolen then they lose an actual chunk of their character.

I'm thinking that I'll allow each player so many active points, and let them build a magic item of their own.

Obviously the item will have the OIF or OAF disadd.  what other disadds should it have?

I'm capping all spells at 45 active points, as well as a 45 active point cap on "feats" (powers bought to represent exceptional skills).  But I think 45 active points is WAY too much to allow for a magic item.  I'm thinking 15 active points.  Even that might be too much.  I cringe at the idea of a fighter with chainmail, Combat Luck, and a ring that gives him 5rPD/5rED.

Thoughts?

Also, should I allow players to create their own "family heirloom" or create the magic item myself and tell them "This is what you have."  

Also, what do you think of the option of a player choosing to forgo the 15 active point magic item in exchange for 10 extra character points?

Considering a player could use the magic item to get 5rPD/5rED, or +10 STR 0 END, or +1SPD, I'd say that would be a poor choice.  Which means I SHOULD allow it.  lol.

15 AP can be enough to grant done nice utility.

But I would suggest if a player wants to have a focus they pay points for then I would just forewarn then that if they lose the item they will have to wait a few sessions to get their points back. But as a rule players characters do not lose points permanently. When an accent happens those points get recycled.

I would not let them have the 10 extra points and I would suggest designing it yourself.

Players can find amazing uses for items they do not design them selves. But when they have the points them selves they tend to just spend them to enhance their characters other abilities rather than diversify.

"I would not let them have the 10 extra points and I would suggest designing it yourself."

Yeah, I like both those ideas.  I'm also thinking that instead of 15 active points I should do 10.  I think 15 is too much.

Here's a few items off the top of my head.  Keep in mind this is a 100+50 campaign with normal characteristics maximums, using 5th Ed rules.

+10 STR 0 END (I may adjust that down to +5)

5rPD/5rED (I may adjust that down to 3/3)

+1 SPD 

+3 INT/ +3 EGO / +3 PRE  (something tells me this would be too powerful)

Others?

Here are some I did for my free sixth ed adventure. The players found a lot of use out off these even though they are all completely non combat.

ISSUED EQUIPMENT TO ALL RANGER/RETRIEVAL AGENTS

Nap Sack: LS (Safe in Intense Cold) (2 Active Points); OAF (-), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Character is restrained by blanket; -) (2 AP, 1 RP)

>> This sleeve shaped blanket preserves its user in even the coldest weather allowing him to sleep in comfort on any night. When not in use this blanket can be rolled up to as small as 4” around and 18” long.

Pathfinder: Detect A Single Thing: Fire 11- (Unusual Group) (3 Active Points); OAF (-), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -) (3 AP, 1 RP)

>> This long wooden rod is about ¾" round and 10” long with a joint in the middle. The user can concentrate for a brief moment causing the top end of the rod to bend and point in the direction of the nearest source of fire. (Normal range & size modifier apply to this sense power.)

Spark Stone: Blast 1 point, Constant (+), Sticky (+) (4 Active Points); OAF (-). END 1 (4 AP, 2 RP)

>> This 4” long ½" round stone has the ability to create a tiny flame. In all practical purposes it works about the same as a modern Bic lighter.

Sympathy Crystal: Mind Link Matching Sympathy Crystal class of minds, One Specific Mind, Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +) (6 Active Points); OAF (-), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (2-Minute Message or less; -), Incantations (Requires Incantations throughout; Must speak the message; -) (6 AP, 2 RP)

>> These crystals always come in pairs. The crystals have the ability to store 2 minutes of sound. Someone with access to either crystal can listen to, erase or record sounds. Usually sympathy crystals are used for communication between spies and military units, however some wealthy people have been known to use them as simple toys or even for social communication between loved ones away.

Tinkers Brush: Cosmetic Transform 1 point (One color into another), Constant (+); OAF (-), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (½ DCV; -). END 1 (1 AP, 1 RP)

>> This item looks like a simple 2” angled paint brush. Whenever used the tinker’s brush transforms the color of whatever it is used on. This color change becomes inherent to the item/person changed and it not a layer of paint or something that can be washed off. After about an hour the effects of the tinker’s brush begin fading away and are completely gone in about 1 turn.

LOOT FROM MAYOR DANSON

Boots of Far Striding: Running 0m (12m total), x4 NC, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +) (7 Active Points); IIF (-) (7 AP, 6 RP)

>> The wearer of these boots finds the space around him folds dimensionally. For every step he takes he appears to move two steps worth of distance. While the wearer does not notice the effects of the movement, outside observers see his body apparently distorting and stretching as he moves in a strange way.

Cloak of the Hummingbird: Multiform (10 Character Points in the most expensive form) (2 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -), IIF (-) (2 AP, 1 RP)

>> This small cloth is sown with a highly detailed image of a humming bird (or other common song bird). When held in the hands the user may concentrate on the napkin and in a matter of seconds turn into a humming bird. Gaining all of the abilities of a humming bird while retaining human intelligence. The character becomes identical to the songbird in the Hero System grimoir, however Intelligence, Ego and Body are all 10.

Gloves of the Light Finger: Stretching 4m, Does Not Cross Intervening Space (+), Invisible Power Effects (Inobvious to [one Sense Group]; +), Indirect (Source Point is the Character, path can change with every use; +) (8 Active Points); Cannot Do Damage (-), IIF (-), Limited Body Parts (-), no NC Stretching (-). END 1 (8 AP, 3 RP)

>> These magical gloves grant the wearer the ability to reach through the air, having his hand invisibly cross several meters unnoticed. Thieves use gloves to pick pockets often from the safety of a building or other out of sight location.

Reconnaissance Stone: Store Image: Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (May Stoe only 1 thing at a time; -), OAF (-), Extra Time (Full Phase, -) plus Recreate Image: Sight Group Images (10 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (Only to recreate last image; -), OAF (-), Extra Time (Full Phase, Full phase to store or reveal the image; -). END 1(This small silvery crystal has the ability to store the last image viewed through it in perfect clarity. The user simply looks through the crystal and concentrates. Once done the stone can generate the image observed in perfect detail until a new image is recorded in it.) (15 AP, 3 RP)

>> This small silvery crystal has the ability to store the last image viewed through it in perfect clarity. The user simply looks through the crystal and concentrates. Once done the stone can generate the image observed in perfect detail until a new image is recorded in it.

Shadow Mantel: Invisibility to Sight Group (20 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (Only to conceal identaty; -), IAF (-). END 2 (20 AP, 6 RP)

>> The wearer of this iron necklace has the ability to cause his facial features to constantly be in shadows. While active identifying any of the wearers features becomes close to impossible. Because of its unsavory uses, sale of a shadow mantel is illegal in most kingdoms.

Talisman of Vitality: +3 REC (3 Active Points); IAF (-) (3 AP, 2 RP)

>> This brass talisman grants the user the health and hardiness of a much younger person.

Wayfarers Cloak: LS (Safe in Intense Heat) (2 Active Points); OIF (-) (2 AP, 1 RP)

>> This fine red cloak appears to be made of soft leather that still has a thin layer of fine fur on it. When worn and drawn together it provides the wearer with cooling shade from the sun and heat of the desert.

I post from my phone so I apologize if the formatting gets lost.

I have a chart of items and things like property, favors and such that players roll on when they make characters, as heirlooms.  I don't concern myself with the cost, since everyone gets one, its just a part of the campaign.  Often I'll give some other freebies as well such as a number of points in background non-combat skills equal to the character's INT score.

I have a chart of items and things like property, favors and such that players roll on when they make characters, as heirlooms.  I don't concern myself with the cost, since everyone gets one, its just a part of the campaign.  Often I'll give some other freebies as well such as a number of points in background non-combat skills equal to the character's INT score.

So.... you're playing D&D?

I'm capping all spells at 45 active points, as well as a 45 active point cap on "feats" (powers bought to represent exceptional skills).  But I think 45 active points is WAY too much to allow for a magic item.  I'm thinking 15 active points.  Even that might be too much.  I cringe at the idea of a fighter with chainmail, Combat Luck, and a ring that gives him 5rPD/5rED.

Thoughts?

Generally, different armor types don't stack in FH. A fighter with chainmail, Combat Luck, and a ring would take the highest rDEF.

On the topic, I will generally allow a PC that's just starting out a low-level magic item or other special item if it fits the character conception. Same thing goes for armor, weapons, equipment, and so forth. If it's reasonable that the character would have it, I let them. I don't usually cap spells by active points, but I do enforce that they Cost END, and require a casting roll. It's usually not a problem.

Generally, different armor types don't stack in FH.

Isn't that basically part of Real Armor (despite being explicitly mentioned)?

It seems a common house rule (especially when it comes to Combat Luck), but I didn't see anything in FH itself to that effect.

As I recall it is mentioned as a warning to the GM that he shouldn't allow characters expected to wear heavy armor to also buy Combat Luck as it would break the campaign, but it isn't specifically forbidden.

Sounds like a good idea, though.

Isn't that basically part of Real Armor (despite being explicitly mentioned)?

It seems a common house rule (especially when it comes to Combat Luck), but I didn't see anything in FH itself to that effect.

It's one of those things that we've been using since FH 1e for our groups. And while I'd need to see if it's mentioned anywhere in the newer versions, FH 1e p43 included the prohibition in the description of the Shield effect*: "The caster uses either the Shield defense OR any defense he has for armor, whichever is greater; defenses don't "stack"; you only get the best of any similar defense." Page 87 reiterates in its description of sectional armor with overlapping coverage.

*Shield was basically the 1e equivalent of Armor/Force Field from Champions.

That depends on how you interpret Combat Luck. It's not necessarily acrobatic evasion, it could just be optimal foot work, "zanshin" or actually sheer luck. For a lot of those variants, having 2 points of lightweight leather hardly seems to matter at all, for some even full plate wouldn't seem a big hindrance.

And of course, limitation that say that things don't stack seem perfectly acceptable, although I'd still say that most of this falls under meta-gaming and balance preservation, not entirely in-game logic and physics. Again, not saying that this is bad, just that I wouldn't try to go out of my way and try to seek some wibbly-wobbly excuse for the non-stacking.

But "generally" I see no reason why they shouldn't stack, if no house rule or limitation specifically forbids this. The only thing in the "core" rules that I can find that limits stacking is concerned with real armor in FH (and even this is mostly meta).

• 2 weeks later...

Signet ring of XXXXXX

Many years ago the character's ancestor did a big favor for some reclusive and mysterious people.  In return the made promises to help out the heir to the family who wears this ring.  Note that someone with no claim to be heir to the family gains no benefit from the ring.  However if there are multiple characters who might be considered the true heir any can use it.  Note that the character cannot voluntarily contact the "special folk" who honor this deal.  Due their eccentric nature they show up when they want to.

Contact:  14- (5), Very useful skills and resources (2),   Slavishly loyal to character (3) = 10 pts. base

IIF (signet ring) (-1/4), No conscious control (-2) Real cost: 3 

+10 Pre, Only involving friends and allies of the XXXXXX family (-3/4), IIF (-1/4)  Base cost: 10 Real cost: 5

+5 Mental defense.IIF cost 5/4

+5 Power defense IIF cost 5/4

Total cost 15 points real.

When I put out a book of treasures eventually its going to include the concept of treasure disadvantages.  That magic item is likely going to have distinctive looks, it might even be hunted by someone.  It might have a personality of its own, giving it psych lims.  That can help reduce the "ulp" feeling a GM tends to feel in Fantasy Hero at giving a character a 50 active point item.

Here's how I usually handle items (magical and non-magical)-

All characters get to start with a logical set of armor, and any normal weapons they have Skills for. Also clothes and basic adventuring gear.

If the player wants to have a magic item for his character at the beginning, they pay for it from their starting Character Points.This means they have less points for skills, characteristics, etc.

If they acquire magic items during play, they can keep it, without paying points for it.

When I start up a campaign in addition to the heirloom chart, all characters start with one of each weapon they have a specific skill level with, the basic materials needed to use any applied skill (lockpicking gets picks, professional skills get some professional supplies, paramedic gets some bandages, etc), one basic riding horse if they bought the riding skill, and an amount of coins enough to buy some equipment.  Usually its 20 silver coins (roughly 200 bucks) which is eaten up pretty rapidly by armor and supplies.

In my experience that's enough to get people into action and adventuring but not so much they can get by without worrying about resources.

Here's how I usually handle items (magical and non-magical)-

All characters get to start with a logical set of armor, and any normal weapons they have Skills for. Also clothes and basic adventuring gear.

If the player wants to have a magic item for his character at the beginning, they pay for it from their starting Character Points.This means they have less points for skills, characteristics, etc.

If they acquire magic items during play, they can keep it, without paying points for it.

See, in my head that creates a problem later if in the course of the campaign the character loses all his gear, and the magic item he paid character points for.  As I GM I have no problem rendering the PCs alone and naked in the bottom of a pit with no obvious way out.  In fact some of my best sessions started that way.  But as a player I'd feel robbed if I were a 135 point character naked at the bottom of a pit next to several other 150 point characters.

When I start up a campaign in addition to the heirloom chart, all characters start with one of each weapon they have a specific skill level with, the basic materials needed to use any applied skill (lockpicking gets picks, professional skills get some professional supplies, paramedic gets some bandages, etc), one basic riding horse if they bought the riding skill, and an amount of coins enough to buy some equipment.  Usually its 20 silver coins (roughly 200 bucks) which is eaten up pretty rapidly by armor and supplies.

In my experience that's enough to get people into action and adventuring but not so much they can get by without worrying about resources.

WOW!  So a fighter-type PC would get armor, sword, dagger, lance, shield, a horse & a saddle, AND come coins?  That's a LOT of starting wealth.  

I let new players start with 300 silver pieces to buy gear from the list in the Fantasy Hero book.

If you've got metal armor, some coins are the least of your worries. Not every campaign has to start with destitute knights/mercs out to get some scraps from dubious tavern patrons.

Personally I'm not too keen on "generic" starting money. Sometimes you all start shipwrecked, sometimes a few members of the party are scions of the filthy rich and noble.