Best Champions module you never played?

redleaf

I always wanted to be in a game running The Great Supervillain Contest...so I guess that's my choice for best module I've never played. For great modules I have played....Shades to Black...Champions Battleground....To Serve and protect...Day of the Destroyer....pretty much anything from Champions in 3D and many more...

Speaking of Champions in 3-D, Allen Varney's "Horror World" adventure is absolutely brilliant, if you like your supers action heavily leavened with genuine horror. But it's also pretty disturbing, not for the faint of heart.

Allen Varney put the entire text of the adventure, including HERO 4E stats, up for free on his personal website (with Hero Games's permission), under the title, ANOPHELES: Atrocities from Beyond.

Speaking of Champions in 3-D, Allen Varney's "Horror World" adventure is absolutely brilliant, if you like your supers action heavily leavened with genuine horror. But it's also pretty disturbing, not for the faint of heart.

Allen Varney put the entire text of the adventure, including HERO 4E stats, up for free on his personal website (with Hero Games's permission), under the title, ANOPHELES: Atrocities from Beyond.

I actually ran this one last year for my Champions campaign. It was a fantastic run, and the absolutely loved the story. I ran it as a time travel story set 5 years in the future and it worked out really well.

I would have to say Day Of The Destroyer is probably one of my favorite modules. I ran it back in 2012, and modified the story so that it was a Dr. Destroyer Android (from the Book of the Destroyer sourcebook) at the final battle instead of the original plot's use of Dr. Destroyer II. That turned out to be a pretty epic adventure for my PCs.

Wings of the Valkyrie also deserves a mention for its crazy time travel plot to stop the assassination of Hitler.

Wings of the Valkyrie also deserves a mention for its crazy time travel plot to stop the assassination of Hitler.

I personally love WotV, and believe if handled properly it can lead to exceptional role playing opportunities.But its approach to its subject matter, and accusations that it "railroads" players toward a particular course of action, make it highly controversial, so I hesitated to recommend it.

It's also trickier to set it in the present day due to how old the main characters would be.

Wing of the Valkyrie and adventures like the ones in Champions in 3D require exceptional role players. Weaker players might feel railroaded, but stronger ones will take the material and run with it. I've yet to do WINGS, but we did do Nazi World from Champions in 3D and the result was exceptional...mostly due to my players.

Wasn't there a Champions adventure pulled for supposedly anti-Semitic content?  I know I read about it somewhere (worst adventure hardly anyone has ever played?).

The only module I'm aware of that got pulled was Wings.

That's the one. IMO it wasn't in any way anti-Semitic, but the moral conundrum at the heart of the adventure was interpreted that way by some. Hero Games owners at the time wanted to avoid controversy that could antagonize their fan base.

Potential controversy also led the author of the adventure to distance himself from any association with it after he entered politics. That saddens me. I thought it was inspired work.

As long as the nostalgic suggestions are flowing ;) , I might as well bring up my personal fave from the pre-4E days, Wrath of the Seven Horsemen. Epic four-color action with grand, colorful villains. I adapted this one to the current official CU for a run a few years ago. Once I swapped out one of its presented elements for a newer one, it fit remarkably well.

If I may ask, what did you change?

Re: Wings, it was probably during the height of the 'roleplaying games corrupt your youngins and turn them into cultists!' scare, so they figured better safe than sorry.

Re: underappreciated modules, I have a copy of Neutral Ground and think it has potential.  Really more of a setting book with some plot seeds, it makes some sense - I mean even superheroes have to relax sometime, right?

Neutral Ground was a supplement I always admired, but never had. I ended up making up my own scenario based on the blurb, but I totally got the idea from the supplement.

UPDATE: For the one-shot, I am leaning towards The Island of Doctor Destroyer. It really is a good scenario. I am intrigued by Blood Fury, and I noticed that Bruce Harlick had a hand in it, so I'm looking into that one.

The other choices were all good. Wings of the Valkyrie feels a little railroady, but I would play that one with a group who was willing to accept that.

At this point The Island of Doc D is taking the lead, just because it lends itself to one-shottedness and has the right structure.

(I considered a vote, but I think I have to pick from the contenders to find the one I feel capable of running well.)

If I may ask, what did you change?

I swapped out the Prime for the Slug -- his highest-powered incarnation, from Galactic Champions. The Elder Worm have a similar style and hold a comparable position in CU prehistory to the "Old Ones" from WotSH, so they matched up easily. Heck, Fear the leader of the Horsemen even wields the "Worm Scepter."

pic673978_md.jpg

This one? I've got it.It's interesting.

IMO it's a quality adventure, though you'll certainly need a few sessions to run through it. One of the nicest things about it from redleaf's perspective may be that its main villain made it into Fifth and Sixth Edition Champions. So redleaf, if you have the 6E Villains books you can insert that incarnation of the villain, and some of his minions or other resources.