Best Champions module you never played?

redleaf

I'm going to run a one-shot online game in 6th Edition. People will be able to play any character they want. It will be in a "Marvel Team-Up" vein: the heroes involved will be kind of unfamiliar with one another.

Anyway, I have a bunch of modules. I want to pick one that people actually want to play. I would consider ordering a copy of one I don't have if it was in Uber-demand.

I was even toying with a Mutants and Masterminds module, called "Time of Vengeance."

So tell me: what module have you heard good things about that you would want to play in a one-shot?

(Doesn't have to be 6th Edition. I have modules going back to The Great Supervillain Contest.)

Specifically as a one-shot, the best published Champions module I ever played was The Island of Dr. Destroyer (and I've done nearly all of them). Sharply focussed objectives, plenty of action, builds to a satisfying climax. UNTIL sets up the mission, and can be assumed to have gathered available heroes together, so you don't need a lengthy explanation for why they're all there. It's one of the earliest Champs modules, so most current Champsfiles have likely never encountered it. OTOH Dr. Destroyer probably has a lot of name recognition, both among Champions tabletop players and those familiar with Champions Online.

If you have the newer Destroyer-related materials, in Champions Villains Vol. 1 and especially Book Of The Destroyer, you can use them to spice up the adventure and tailor the challenge to the PCs.

I have always wanted to try The Coriolis Effect. I'll look at the other two Christopher suggested.

I agree that The Island of Doctor Destroyer is a great one. I'd definitely consider that one. I've run it before.

It wouldn't be a dealbreaker if people have read or played the module already. I think this will be fun. Modules seem to play out completely differently for me each time. We could even build in a time travel element: "I've seen this before. This happened last time..."

PS: I'll check out Reality Storm.

Oops. Maybe my terminology is at fault.

By "one-shot" I mean that it will be one adventure played out. It might take more than one session.

I see it as some text chat, a group meet-up, and other methods including email.

We'll set a target date for the group meet. I'll start everyone separate. Some people may not make it to the group play (the character may die or the player may drop out). But whoever gets their stuff together by the target date will be in the group play.

Actually, I think that will work rather well. ;)

Oops. Maybe my terminology is at fault.

By "one-shot" I mean that it will be one adventure played out. It might take more than one session.

I see it as some text chat, a group meet-up, and other methods including email.

We'll set a target date for the group meet. I'll start everyone separate. Some people may not make it to the group play (the character may die or the player may drop out). But whoever gets their stuff together by the target date will be in the group play.

Actually, I think that will work rather well. ;)

Ah, I see. Yes, that does change the situation quite a bit. As you can see above, there's no shortage of recommendations, because there are a lot of quality adventures in Champions' long history.

Given you're looking for what would interest players, maybe you'll need to put up a poll.

As long as the nostalgic suggestions are flowing ;) , I might as well bring up my personal fave from the pre-4E days, Wrath of the Seven Horsemen. Epic four-color action with grand, colorful villains. I adapted this one to the current official CU for a run a few years ago. Once I swapped out one of its presented elements for a newer one, it fit remarkably well.

As long as the nostalgic suggestions are flowing ;) , I might as well bring up my personal fave from the pre-4E days, Wrath of the Seven Horsemen. Epic four-color action with grand, colorful villains. I adapted this one to the current official CU for a run a few years ago. Once I swapped out one of its presented elements for a newer one, it fit remarkably well.

One of my personal faves. Also, I never got to run or play Pyramid in the sky, but I remember being very interested in it...

Admitting my own limited knowledge of the modules.. I can't remember the modules I've played.. if it's indeed plural, other than a what the players were assured was a heavily modified run of Coriolis Effect.. which I vaguely remember as having a wizard in a wheelchair.

Perhaps as a subthread, I'm sure I've seen several modules no one ever mentions that look like they ought to be fun.

Is this the place to ask about under-appreciated modules in general?

What makes them in your eyes great, or at least greater than they are generally credited for being?