How to Build: Teen Champions Healer

BarretWallace

Hello all,

It has been way too long since I've translated a character from concept to stats.  I'm having some major gamer's block here, so I figured I'd turn to the most creative (and odd) group of people on the interwebz: Herogames.com forums!

The game in question is Teen Champions.  Guidelines are as follows (shamelessly copied from game forum):

Teen Champions game using the Champions Universe, specifically set in Ravenswood Academy in Millennium City.

PC's are incoming Freshmen, Class of 2019

• Base 75 + 100 Disadvantages
  • Characteristics 8-28 with only one over 12; Speed range 2-5.
  • Powers are 15-45 active points, 5-15 real points with only one power over 15 active points Powers are supposed to be unreliable and without fine control hence lots of limitations or just really low powered or both.
  • Skills are 5-25 points total with 8-12 or less rolls and only one skill higher than 11 or less
  • Defenses are capped at 12PD/ED(r6).
  • Disadvantages are capped at no more than 50 per category, and a clique disadvantage is required. Don't list Disadvantages that everyone (at least at this school) has. That includes both "Social Disadvantage: Minor & Social Disadvantage: Secret ID".
  • Combat Values are capped at 7.

EXCEPTIONS:

• If you buy higher characteristics as Powers with Limitations (Like an Only In Hero ID alien battle suit), you can exceed the Characteristic caps, but can't spend more than 15 real points per characteristic doing it.
  • If your Skill is based on a Characteristic and the base roll exceeds the Skill cap, then you can exceed the Skill cap but cannot buy it up any higher. This includes a single high Characteristic of 28 pushing Skill rolls for skills based on that Characteristic up to 15-
  • Characteristics and Skills can exceed the campaign caps to the extend of the positive modifiers in a Clique Package Deal; for example, Alterna-Teen gives +2 INT, so if you buy INT up to the campaign cap of "12", you can have a 14 if you buy the Alterna-Teen Package Deal. Similarly, if you buy skills up to the 25 point campaign cap, the skills that are part of your Clique Package Deal don't count towards the cap.
  • If your Power is a STOPSIGN or EXCLAMATION POINT power, avoid taking it. I want to avoid them for now, probably for this game as a whole.

My character concept is as follows:

Jimmy Rostinov is a nondescript and thin lad of 13 going on 14 who many say is a bit of an odd duck.  To give him a label, one might say he is a fairly typical nerd or geek.  He does well in school and is a fan of various types of sci-fi.  In "real life" (i.e. earthly life), he enjoys minor tinkering with electronics and is a ham radio operator.  Jimmy has recently become fascinated with medicine as well, and has proclaimed (to all who will listen) that he wants to be a doctor one day.  He's got a few good friends rather than a large group of quasi-friends, and prefers not to draw attention to himself most of the time.  It is when people see Jimmy talking to himself that they consider him especially weird.

What many people don't know (or struggle to accept) is that Jimmy is talking to a real person named Alex Petrovsky...who is dead, and currently exists only as a spirit.  To call it a possession isn't quite accurate, because while Alex resides in or with Jimmy somehow, Jimmy retains his own mind and will through it all.  As the two grew closer, Jimmy began manifesting various powers of healing.  He can heal minor injuries with sufficient time and focus, and is making some headway against diseases.  He gained these abilities by channeling power through Alex, and it is when he is focusing hardest on healing that Alex comes closest to "possessing" him.  As their bond grows, Jimmy is starting to develop other supernatural abilities as well, though he doesn't have a very good handle on them yet.  Jimmy's parents, somewhat fearful of his abilities but wanting to support him as best they can, enrolled him in Ravenswood Academy.  There they hope that he can learn in an environment where his abilities are respected and nurtured rather than feared...and they hope he can find some good friends as well.

That's what I've got for now....

Erik

General suggestion:

The character's powers that you have described aren't combat oriented. That's fine.

However, the character will get into combat. Aside from anything else, this is implied by the detail the GM went into in laying out guidelines for combat abilities.

You therefore need to answer the following questions.

1. How does the character inflict damage in combat?

2. What defenses does the character have against damage in combat?

3. How does the character get around in combat?

The third question probably isn't important in this kind of game, but the first two are.

Setting the character's combat stuff in place will go along way towards building the character, especially given the low point total.

More thoughts: "Characteristics 8-28 with only one over 12; Speed range 2-5."

Presumably the first (8-28) range refers to primary characteristics, given that Stun and End start at a base level of 20! This gets interesting with the Dex/Spd relationship.

My general impression of the guidelines is that they push forward certain character types as more optimal than others. I'd certainly be looking at a decent Dex. 20 comes to mind, given the 7 CV maxima. And a 5 Speed.

The characters are going to be really fragile, with low defenses and Con. (And Body). Hence maxing out CV is essential. If your character concept doesn't support a maxed out CV, change it so it does.

Some abilities I will give healers, usually in a multipower:

Healing, ranged STN (and often END) of a smaller amount

Healing, no range, Body, stun and END of larger amount that is slower, usually with concentrate etc for after battle (any one stat below normal works here as well)

Dispel of effects like poison, disease, and mental control

Transform target into healthy target as a catch-all for random effects - have to OK this with GM and add any limitations to its effect that he will prefer.  Slow and requires concentration

Change environment to warm sterile zone in small area

Typically these two work best outside the multipower (most GMs won't let you put them in anyway):

Life support vs disease/poison usable on others as an instant venom and plague stopper

Life Support vs food, water, and air usable on others as an environmental protection ability