Power: Self Diagnostics

Enforcer84

So this is for your android/cyborg/robot character:

Detect: Physical Status (Non Specific Sense)

- Discriminatory

- Analyze

Anything else you can see a need for?

No need for range, this is self only. 

Not sure about the other addons

You could make it hearing or sight group to represent a HUD or Audio Files.

my other thought is that knowing what's wrong doesn't really do you any good if you cant fix. it it might be useful for say a star ship where the crew then go and repair the damage.

On the other hand for say an android or power armour you'd be better off buying healing or aid with a skill roll cybernetics and then buy the self diagnostic system as skill points.

It's a useful concept, but IMO only to counter Invisible Power Effects; anything else, you automatically know what you've suffered and how, in my reading of the rules, no matter what you're made of, except if you have a potent Physical Limitation: Leprous, Unaware of Injury.

I'd make it considerably less expensive, unless adding Tracking or "Detect Cure" aspects.

Your character just lost 3 points of Body?

It's a useful concept, but IMO only to counter Invisible Power Effects; anything else, you automatically know what you've suffered and how, in my reading of the rules, no matter what you're made of, except if you have a potent Physical Limitation: Leprous, Unaware of Injury.

I'd make it considerably less expensive, unless adding Tracking or "Detect Cure" aspects.

My thoughts exactly. It does not grant you any information you do not already posess. You know how much Body, Stun and End you lost and from wich attacks.

What data does it give you that normal humans do not have as well? Is it just the lack of the Limitation "Not aware of body"*?

I once thought about a power based on a sort of reactive repair system:

Automatic Influence Detection and Compenssation System (short: Aid):

X 3 point Skill Level (+1 to Ego breakout, Con breakout and to resist Social Skills).

The idea is that some automatic process is monitoring the neural patterns for signs of external influence (mental powers, chemical influences, interaction skill results) and compensates for it/makes the owner aware of it. Mental Powers can be countered heavily by "knowing" you are under the influence.

*Obviously he character would notice if an arm or leg was missing. But he mght not get information that his arm or leg shortly before breaking.

This has good effects beyond the bounds of standard characters. As a mere human I know that I am sick. With this power I could know before I become symptomatic. I would also know the type of disease and what stage it is in. With such precise knowledge I can plan more effective treatments than "drink water and sleep".

I could also know my blood alcohol level. If I had injested poison or other drugs.

In games where the GM tracks damage and only gives general feedback, this would be a way to see the exact numbers.

You might also be able to justify a bonus against Mind Control or other effects that tamper with your mood or memories. It is not a useless power that simply mimics what everyone has.

La Rose.

Doubly useful if Normal Touch is lacking.

Or whenever the GM is keeping track of damage in secret (e.g. Mystery Damage Campaign).

What about Analyze:Self Diagnostic to get a full briefing from the Detect:Physical Status results?

This has good effects beyond the bounds of standard characters. As a mere human I know that I am sick. With this power I could know before I become symptomatic. I would also know the type of disease and what stage it is in. With such precise knowledge I can plan more effective treatments than "drink water and sleep".

I could also know my blood alcohol level. If I had injested poison or other drugs.

That is an asumption. Not a far fetched, but not very likely to be accurate either.

This is a sensory power without proper description of effect, surroundng campaign or wich data is covered. Sensory powers in the special group are the notoriously most tricky ones. You should always lead with the description, never the writeup. And even then you might have to adapt the price during game, as differences in intended effect between GM and Player become apparent.

"Telekinesis, Only Against Water" is quite different from "Telekinesis, Only agaisnt water [inlcuding stuff mostly made from it like the human body]".