Experience purchases done through role play

TheDarkness

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be honest. The jaded, spent too much time in the past on social media part of me told me, "someone is going to continue the argument by following up on what the definition of a pick-up game is."

The hopeful idealist said no, you're wrong, obviously any of the four or five of us who have been arguing for five pages are, at this point, completely aware that even a half starved goat wouldn't have the slightest interest in anything more to do with us at the moment, even if we were covered in delicious clover.

Well, at least maple syrup is not debatable.

Well when you use a different meaning from 90%+ of the community that tends to happen (and by community I mean Role Players, not the Hero Forum specifically).  The term "pick-up game" originated with sports and was generally spontaneous and had no effect beyond the individual game.  In the RPG community it means essentially what Hugh and Tasha said.  That you made up your own definition is fine, but don't act put out when people correct you.

I'll be honest. The jaded, spent too much time in the past on social media part of me told me, "someone is going to continue the argument by following up on what the definition of a pick-up game is."

The hopeful idealist said no, you're wrong, obviously any of the four or five of us who have been arguing for five pages are, at this point, completely aware that even a half starved goat wouldn't have the slightest interest in anything more to do with us at the moment, even if we were covered in delicious clover.

Emphasis added.

And yet, I note that you responded.

Well when you use a different meaning from 90%+ of the community that tends to happen (and by community I mean Role Players, not the Hero Forum specifically).  The term "pick-up game" originated with sports and was generally spontaneous and had no effect beyond the individual game.  In the RPG community it means essentially what Hugh and Tasha said.  That you made up your own definition is fine, but don't act put out when people correct you.

Sigh...

Okay, an in-game pick-up game, or a pick-up game for the characters.

Since we're clarifying definitions for each other's benefit, I don't think "I have no time for minutia" means what you guys seem to think it means. :snicker:

Sigh...

Okay, an in-game pick-up game, or a pick-up game for the characters.

Since we're clarifying definitions for each other's benefit, I don't think "I have no time for minutia" means what you guys seem to think it means. :snicker:

What you are calling a PickUp game is usually referred to as a Filler Episode or a Breather Episode. They exist to give some space between plotlines. For RPGs they are the sessions where people go sell off their ill gotten gains, deal with family, blow off steam (in whatever way works for the characters) etc. These episodes by their very nature tend to be few and far between plotlines, (Unless the GM uses a Filler for a night when too many needed for the plotline PC's are missing). 

Toque

C'est fini

I know that is what Canadians call their knit hats, but I couldn't tell you what we call those here in Calfornia. ex perhaps Ski Hats? Most of here in California don't do the snow thing unless we are going to ski or snowboard on it..

I know that is what Canadians call their knit hats, but I couldn't tell you what we call those here in Calfornia. ex perhaps Ski Hats? Most of here in California don't do the snow thing unless we are going to ski or snowboard on it..

In the midwest, we mostly call them winter hats. We don't truck this Canadian chicanery!

What you are calling a PickUp game is usually referred to as a Filler Episode or a Breather Episode. They exist to give some space between plotlines. For RPGs they are the sessions where people go sell off their ill gotten gains, deal with family, blow off steam (in whatever way works for the characters) etc. These episodes by their very nature tend to be few and far between plotlines, (Unless the GM uses a Filler for a night when too many needed for the plotline PC's are missing). 

For me, it varies. Probably averaging every fifth session, I'm guessing. Sometimes I'll have an interlude time to organize, so there may be two in a row during those periods.