Destructive/"evil" powers that are limited in the amount of harm they can actually cause

Marcus Impudite

Brainwashing/Mind Control Powers: Unless you have some means of transmitting your power globally, you're limited to Mind Controlling whoever you can interact with personally. You might succeed in becoming the equivalent of a cult leader, but world domination is likely to remain out of your grasp. Sure, you could try going the route of targeting people in positions of power and authority (always assuming you can get anywhere near them to begin with), but the jig may very well be up the instant you have them do anything that is out of character for them and/or so blatantly unconstitutional that even the most oblivious members of society will notice something's fishy.

Having just finished Jessica Jones on netflix the damage you can do even on the small scale is pretty extreme if kilgrave had wanted mass casualties a few school bus drivers turned kamikaze in rush hour would quickly dwarf most contempory terrorist attacks or an airline pilot or the captain of a cruise ship how about an epidemiologist with access to ebola or smallpox. Doesn't take much mind control to be really really dangerous.

Even small scale can be deadly "this is a police badge "" this is table salt fill all the salt shakers with it" "ground level is 1000 feet higher" "He has a gun"

Brainwashing/Mind Control Powers: Unless you have some means of transmitting your power globally, you're limited to Mind Controlling whoever you can interact with personally. You might succeed in becoming the equivalent of a cult leader, but world domination is likely to remain out of your grasp. Sure, you could try going the route of targeting people in positions of power and authority (always assuming you can get anywhere near them to begin with), but the jig may very well be up the instant you have them do anything that is out of character for them and/or so blatantly unconstitutional that even the most oblivious members of society will notice something's fishy.

This is why most of the true leaders are seldomly seen. Instead they will take a position such as advisor or observer or some other position that allows them to frequently gain the attention of the leader. Whenever anything good happens they know that they are the true cause but if anything bad happens then the society points their finger at the puppet that was placed in the spotlight, not the actual power. As a result, you could say they have all the advantages with none of the risks.

Necromancy unless you can literally reconstitute the dead from fragments the supply of suitable corpses will be limited and the ability of human beings to destroy human shaped things is pretty impressive. Also unless you canactuslly control all those corpses your probably gonna be eaten first. On the other hand being able to raise one person with their faculties mostly intact could be a boon for the police needing to solve murders families wanting closure or to settle a bitter inheritance dispute.

Here is an interesting character idea

Dr Deathwave

Is the unfortunate recipient of a truly horrific mutant power his body generates a biodisruptive field that destroys all life within a distance of 1 meter to 1 km his power manifesting resulted in the death of his parents and 10% of the population of the remote nevadan community they lived in .

A black military organization kidnapped him using robots and a drone helicopter and brought him to a remote desert facility where he was tested and trained in the hopes of being able to use him as a weapon it took several years but eventually he learnt to control the extent of the field and also to expand it he killed the team that had tortured him with experiments for all those years.

And thisvis where he changed his story instead of becoming the supervillain so many imagined he took a different path. Now deathwave industries is the worlds leading experts in total biological clean up. If want a hospital cleaned competly after a a superbug outbreak. Need 2000 tonnes of rotten meat gotten rid of or are venusian ferro-termites going to eat Chicago Dr Deathwave is your man . dr deathwave has devoted his life bettering the world in an attempt to atone for the deaths he has caused and he is always training and studying trying to improve his control or find a cure for his condition so he is never again a weapon of evil.

Death Touch/Palm Strike Of Death: The downside to the ability to kill with a touch is the fact that you have to have physical contact with the target. Even when you successfully use the ability on someone, they'll still have an opportunity to strike back and possibly mortally wound you before they expire. Plus, anyone who knows about your ability would probably shoot you and/or run away rather than let you in close enough to use it.

Easy to solve.  They enter politics.  ANd brainwash the masses to vote for them (or enough to tip the balance).  Some problems need to be ironed out in the plan, of course.

Note: Does Trump have this?

Here is an interesting character idea

Dr Deathwave

Reminds me of a comic book character I remember hearing about.  He had the ability to transform himself into a living black hole.  After a brief villain career, a hero convinced him to go straight, and he became filthy rich using his powers to dispose of toxic and radioactive waste.

I think you're sadly underestimating the effectiveness of one-on-one mind control. There's no world leader you couldn't see, given a little time. You just work your way through the "flappers" one by one. Talk to gate guard, he lets you in. Talk to door guard. He lets you in. Talk to secretary/assistant to get "five minutes with the big guy". Once you're there, convince him to give you all the time you need. Then he can arrange for you to meet his allies, associates, contacts. Lather, rinse, repeat. As for having world leaders do things "out of character" enough to cause trouble--why? You could eventually meet everyone important in the administration, and all of Congress. Convince *enough* of them to do what you want, and even (for extra verisimilitude) convince a minority to oppose your plans. So your proposed bills are controversial. So what?

But do you NEED to do that? You already have greater personal power than anyone on the planet. Anyone you meet will do whatever you want. Once you've convinced Bill Gates, George Soros, the Koch brothers and a few other billionaires to "loan" you a few billion dollars, or make you the CEO of a new charitable trust with a vague-enough mission to let you spend the money however you like (approved by any auditors or government overseers you've met), you'll have all the money you ever want. You're already the world's greatest pick-up artist. You can convince anyone who owns anything (a particular work of art, or home, or business) to sell it to you.

You may not change the world radically, but unless you're an altruist (but one willing to manipulate and use people) or crave power for its own sake, why bother?

That was the truly terrifying thing about kilgrave he would destroy your life because he needed a car or a jacket or a distraction. Everyone in the world was just a thing to use life without consequences I think jumper reflected a similar situation teleportation letting you do anything without fear of reprocussions without the paladins hunting them the jumpers could have controlled the world. Assasins spies and thieves that can enter anywhere disappear from any prison and take anything they can touch.

Reminds me of a comic book character I remember hearing about.  He had the ability to transform himself into a living black hole.  After a brief villain career, a hero convinced him to go straight, and he became filthy rich using his powers to dispose of toxic and radioactive waste.

I think that was Chunk.

112389-76620-chunk.jpg

I think you're sadly underestimating the effectiveness of one-on-one mind control. There's no world leader you couldn't see, given a little time. You just work your way through the "flappers" one by one. Talk to gate guard, he lets you in. Talk to door guard. He lets you in. Talk to secretary/assistant to get "five minutes with the big guy". Once you're there, convince him to give you all the time you need. Then he can arrange for you to meet his allies, associates, contacts. Lather, rinse, repeat. As for having world leaders do things "out of character" enough to cause trouble--why? You could eventually meet everyone important in the administration, and all of Congress. Convince *enough* of them to do what you want, and even (for extra verisimilitude) convince a minority to oppose your plans. So your proposed bills are controversial. So what?

But do you NEED to do that? You already have greater personal power than anyone on the planet. Anyone you meet will do whatever you want. Once you've convinced Bill Gates, George Soros, the Koch brothers and a few other billionaires to "loan" you a few billion dollars, or make you the CEO of a new charitable trust with a vague-enough mission to let you spend the money however you like (approved by any auditors or government overseers you've met), you'll have all the money you ever want. You're already the world's greatest pick-up artist. You can convince anyone who owns anything (a particular work of art, or home, or business) to sell it to you.

You may not change the world radically, but unless you're an altruist (but one willing to manipulate and use people) or crave power for its own sake, why bother?

George Soros and Koch brothers working together would be fishy.

ANyhow, to get a law passed in American, all you need is 300 or so people to think it a good idea.  The right 300, of course.

Imagine this power:

Soul Stealer: Drain Soul (Souls Have One Point In My Campaign and a player without a soul is considered to be undead but still has free will), 2D6, IPE (Fully Obvious To Fully Invisible, Effects Are Hidden From Other Characters; +1 1/2), Delayed Return Rate (Points Return At A Rate of 5 per Century or return upon target character's death; +4), AVAD NND (Life Support: Curse Immunity; 0), Reduced END (0 End; +1/2) (140 APs) No Range (-1/2), Gestures with both Hands (-1/2) Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2). 56 RP

This power is horrible, yes, but the person who uses it cannot control them per se. The user has their soul, but unless you link a mind control to the power, you cannot control them. Thus, this is rather useless.

As Words Die, I Discover I Am The King of Useless Powers.

So what actually changes? "Oh noes, my soul (that I didn't believe in, didn't know I had and didn't need for any practical purpose) has been stolen. But it will come back in 20 years or when I die (and I don't need it til I die).

A Soul in my campaign functions as the way to feel empathy and remorse, which are not needed emotions. Besides, they wouldn't know that their soul was stolen because of IPE.

As Words Die, A Soul Stealer Is Arrested For Petty Theft.