Justice League Animation fans...

Acroyear

Originally posted by Acroyear

Wil is actually a nice guy.

Don't say you wouldn't have taken the Wesley role if it was offered to you.

I totally agree with you (on both points). I was more making fun of Wesley (and the Aquaman family) than of Wil. He once mentioned that (at a ST convention he was attending) there was a seminar called "Solving the Wesley Problem".

Anyone who's seen Stand By Me, knows he can act.

Andy

Actually, Aquaman has always been a pretty decent character. Just too many people have their only exposure to him from Superfriends where not even Batman figured out the mysteries... but the sidkicks and their dog. ;)

Aquaman is like Rodney Dangerfield, he gets no respect. And yeah, it was Superfriends that did it to him. Poor sap.

Frankly, I enjoyed Aquaman best in the hands of a good writer who did a little homework on the ocean. Comics and other stories where Aquaman used things he knew about the nature of his homeland against surface dwelling intruders could be very cool to see. Not just the animals, but tid bits like underwater geysers, and deep sea pressure. However, you could only do so many underwater things for the Justice League; and once out of his element... folks started treating him like a side kick.

I blame part of it on how many other members of the JL handle deep sea stuff as if it were 'no big deal' power wise. I'd love , just once, to see a Green Lantern miscalculate the growing pressure on his force bubble as he descends, and have to have Aqua bail him out ;)

Give me a break!!!!!

Come on! Your talking about a hero named Aquaman. All hail Aquaman King of the Seven Seas! What an uninspired name. What an uninspired character. He can swim. He can breathe underwater. He can...talk to fish. Sorry, I have even more of a problem with this guy then I do with the Greek chick in a US flag costume.

Re: Give me a break!!!!!

Originally posted by zen_hydra

Come on! Your talking about a hero named Aquaman. All hail Aquaman King of the Seven Seas! What an uninspired name. What an uninspired character. He can swim. He can breathe underwater. He can...talk to fish. Sorry, I have even more of a problem with this guy then I do with the Greek chick in a US flag costume.

You see? It's this kind of ignorance.

He can not only breath under water... he could move, sense, and act normally on the ocean floor... that's a lot of pressure... that's a lot of weight. Actually, he was faster and stronger than most with all that resistance... take that away (put him on the surface) and it's a world of difference - superhuman across the spectrum.

And you criticize the name? Come on. It perfectly fit the naming conventions of multiple decades.

Re: Re: Give me a break!!!!!

You see? It's this kind of ignorance.

He can not only breath under water... he could move, sense, and act normally on the ocean floor... that's a lot of pressure... that's a lot of weight. Actually, he was faster and stronger than most with all that resistance... take that away (put him on the surface) and it's a world of difference - superhuman across the spectrum.

And you criticize the name? Come on. It perfectly fit the naming conventions of multiple decades.

I have to agree with you. Heck, 'Spider-Man' 'Superman' 'Batman'? It's not like Aqua Man doesn't make sense for the times.

I understand Aquaman has been souped up in other ways in the past few years, seeing across the globe through any sea creatures eyes etc? Sadly, the problem isn't power, it's perspective on him.

Maybe we should have a thread for 'Aquaman/Sub Mariner' Clones just to show the might that can be fishy fellows?

"You see? It's this kind of ignorance.

And you criticize the name? Come on. It perfectly fit the naming conventions of multiple decades."

I am sure that the big, seahorse riding, moron would be happy to know that he had such staunch defenders. Ok, can someone please clue me in on what the mighty Aquaman's real name was/is?

Originally posted by zen_hydra

I am sure that the big, seahorse riding, moron would be happy to know that he had such staunch defenders. Ok, can someone please clue me in on what the mighty Aquaman's real name was/is?

Arthur Curry was the name given him by his adoptive family, Orrin is his Atlantean name. He has fought Superman to a standstill under the ocean, Superman commenting "He's better than I am underwater...he was born down here I was not."

In the current run (only in its 3rd or 4th issue), written by Rick Veitch of Brat Pack fame, he has been banned by Atlantis and all undersea creatures has been mystically turned against him. He has discovered the Secret Sea, and its guardian the Lady of the Lake. His harpoon hand has been replaced by a hand made of mystical water. Even has a new costume.

So maybe the fish talking, seahorse riding Superfriends version was lame. Need I remind everyone the World's Greatest Detective was relegated to chauffuering Wendy and Marvin around in the Batillac during those dark days. The current Aquaman is not your father's Oldsmobile.

Aquaman: Threat or Menace!?!

Well, despite the suprising number of Aquaman boosters here, I notice that he is still not too respected by the majority of superhero fans. I actually like the guy, except for the whole hand/beard/jerk personality thing they grafted onto him. Er, wait, no, he was an evil manipulative jerk in JLDetroit too, and used evil mind powers to boss people around until J'onn glared at him and gave him the Stern Fingerwagging of Admonishment. anyway...

Aquaman has a very important quality, though. He has what I'd call Theoretical Cool. Despite his nature and origin making him a powerhouse, he's got these years and years and years and years of riding seahorses with a dippy kid sidekick who can't be bothered to remember to hose himself down once an hour, of wearing the ugliest orange chainmail/green hose & gloves outfit despite being given a decent costume in the 80's, of being saddled with knockoff sidekicks like Qisp the renegade cereal mascot masquerading as a water imp/5th dimensional being, being the 'king of the seven seas' and only having a single city full of mouthbreathing ungrateful aquatic herd-animal mentality weirdos who all wear spandex (even the old fat ones like Vulko), villains like the Fisherman, the Marine Marauder (both of 'em), the Invisible Un-Thing & the Scavenger and worst of all, being saddled with creative geniuses who decide mutilation, mood swings and staying underwater all the time equals increased sales.

Geez. Aquaman can overturn trawlers using his own strength and bitchslapped Deathstroke the Terminator AFTER Deathstroke beat Batman. Poor guy needs decent press and a haircut.

Anybody know when Savage Time is coming out on DVD? For the life of me, I can't catch that particular JLA special. Every time I see it in the TV Guide, it gets preempted by Land Before Time XXVIII. Then I find out it played the night before with almost no pre-advertising. Gaaah!

Originally posted by st barbara

A "Teen Titans" cartoon ! As you say, it could be neat. I do hope that it manages to find its way across the pacific some time soon. Do you know WHICH characters will be featured in the Titans line up ?

I here ya St Barbara, Cartoon Network should be showing it soonish so I hope you got it.

haa haa the Hippeys in My country are getting all offended at John Howard, Ihaven't been this amused since the guy from PETA snuck in to the lectures and abused the Deans at Victoria Univerity

Originally posted by AndyM

I totally agree with you (on both points). I was more making fun of Wesley (and the Aquaman family) than of Wil. He once mentioned that (at a ST convention he was attending) there was a seminar called "Solving the Wesley Problem".

Anyone who's seen Stand By Me, knows he can act.

Andy

He was also good in Toy Soldiers. My big problem with Wesley Crusher was that here is a cadet, albeit a smart cadet, but a cadet none the less, who is working on the bridge of the Enterprise. I mean if I was an ensign onboard the ship and Chief Medical Officers son is working the bridge I would be just a little upset.

That was the only thing I just couldn't get.