Super Healer

TheQuestionMan

Greetings Programs, my character Street Angel has a problem. The public has learned of his Healing Powers and that he uses them frequently visiting random Homeless Shelters, Soup Kitchens, Free Medical Clinics, Emergency Rooms, etc...

He showed up at one of the free clinics to find a crowd waiting for him. They over flowed the clinic he got them outside and with the help of the LAPD doing crowd control and the clinic staff doing triage cleared them after 12 hours.

He apologised to the clinic staff and LAPD. He told every patient he would not be returning to any Free Clinics either.

His public Healing anyone injured after a superbattle got out.!

Now he has to deal with the consequences!

The NPC's suggested he change his name and alter ego?

When called an Angel he laughs good naturedly and says "I am not any kind of Angel!"

What if, someone were to spread a false smear campaign indicating that Street Angel is a charlatan?  "No one is a prophet in the own hometown," after all.  Besides, what's sainthood without a little persecution?  People might not seek him out if they think he is a fraud leaving him free to seek out those he wants to help.

Perhaps he could use his powers anonymously.  Show up at a soup kitchen or a free clinic dressed as one of the locals, and just circulate among them, seeing who needs healing the most and providing it.  Or slipping into a pediatric cancer ward at three in the morning and healing sick children while they sleep.  He'd need Invisible Power Effects for this, but that's nothing a few unspent EPs can't fix.

Also, check out Ellen Burstyn's movie Resurrection for another character dealing with healing abilities.

Hope that helps.

Street Angel should practice his healing until he can do it as covertly as possible (IOW, spend some XP so the Healing has Invisible Power Effects), but not let this be publicly known.  Then disguise himself as a homeless person or simply volunteer, making the rounds of random Homeless Shelters, Soup Kitchens, Free Medical Clinics, Emergency Rooms, and do his good work without people knowing. 

Edit:  And just as I hit Post, wcw43921 beat me to it.

Instead of trying to heal anonymously, do so very publically, plan healing hut events like an evangalist performing faith healing.

Alert the police before hand, get the appropo permits, perhaps even arrange for a honorary medical license to be obtained. If you charge money for tickets (even if a paltry sum like $5) the proceeds can go to organizing the events, and paying security staff and the rest can be donated to hospitals and homeless shelters. Tickets will lt you control attendance, and keep it under what your character can handle in a day, plus the good PR will make it difficult for organizations to act against you.

Your GM should also be applying the LTE rules to theses scenarios, it is one of the few times you can actually expect a super to be using their powers for six hours straight. and it's affects on you, and your next battles, is an important element of your decision to be a healer.

I think I will try to use Aaron Allston's blue booking conept and roleplay it off stage so to speak.

I do not think my GM would use it against the Character too much, but it could make so some interesting Hunteds.

Long Term Endurance might reduce the amount of Healing he could do.

Note: Also has Power: Restoration; 5d6 Aid to END & STUN.

The question I would wonder is if the healing has some side effect.  For instance, does the healing speed up natural healing and if it does that does it shorten the length of life of the target or maybe increase the risk of cancer.

Instead of trying to heal anonymously, do so very publically, plan healing hut events like an evangalist performing faith healing.

Alert the police before hand, get the appropo permits, perhaps even arrange for a honorary medical license to be obtained. If you charge money for tickets (even if a paltry sum like $5) the proceeds can go to organizing the events, and paying security staff and the rest can be donated to hospitals and homeless shelters. Tickets will lt you control attendance, and keep it under what your character can handle in a day, plus the good PR will make it difficult for organizations to act against you.

Organizations may be hindered, but not enemies or groups like Genocide who have showed no restraint in the past. I would be putting innocents in the line of fire. Collateral Damage basically.

I do not know how they figured out his anonymous healing though. Something to investigate. His public healing has only been on the battlefield during and after the superbattle insurance.

• 3 weeks later...