Types of magic

GCMorris

Hey all. In my campaign I am classifying magic in my campaign in different classes. All magic will come from one of these areas. It won't have much of an impact overall but it will require players to specify where their magic is drawn from.

Right now I have:

Arcane which I am treating as an elemental force (think traditional wizards)

Natural which is another elemental force (think druids)

Divine which is basically granted by higher beings.

Infernal which is granted by not quite so higher beings if you catch my drift.

Psionic which is accessed thru meditation and harnessing the subconscious.

Another type is one that I don't know quite how to classify yet. Its those who can access magic via methods not belonging to the other five. Like my groups clockwork gadgeteer who can open gates (summoning) with his gadgets. He can manipulate magical forces with his clockwork toys by tinkering with time and mathematics and even sometimes chemistry. The followers of the other four disciplines don't always get along (especially the divine/infernal types) but they all have one thing in common: they all view this guy as an interloper at best and an affront to their craft who needs put in his place at worse.

As always input is welcome. Thanks.

uk hero project types

shamanic/geomantic there are weak points in the fabric of reality places where our plane touches others sometimes call  lay lines or sacred spots. At these weak points releasing Psycho spiritual energy {basically energy drawn from the astral plane it can be harnessed through powerful emotions sex fear anger or through pain and death} will puncture the barriers between realms and allow the shaman to "speak" with beings from these other planes they go by many names spirits, ghosts, gods, angels and demons but they will grant power to the summoner.

Geomantic magic was an effort to reshape the land to better channel the energies of the Astral plane and make accessing the energies of these other planes easier  thus the stone circles and sacred groves of the neolithic. Geomantic magic continues today though most popular in china certain secret cabals of Geomancers are in a clandestine war over the roads sewers and other infrastructure of the world.

London's M25 being a prime example being a mystical symbol that not only protects the city from magics directed from outside but also draws energy from the rest of the country and focuses it into the financial heart the fact that it also weakens the barriers to the lower planes is perhaps not a bug but a feature.

Ritual a catch all term for the various traditions of what most people would describe as magic that have developed from the older shamanic traditions. the words phrases motions chanting and prepared ritual spaces are designed to allow the caster to commune with beings of the higher or lower realms and then have them use their power to perform a working. the ability and power of Ritual magic has increased but slowly due to the secrecy and active obfuscation of what actually works to prevent rival factions from using one groups rituals against them.

Enochian the first of the modern magical schools devised by John Dee the royal Physician for queen elizabeth working with a talented psychic called  Edward Kelley who helped him in his research using the rigorous approach of a Mathematician his work with Kelley created the Enochian language supposedly the language of the Angels but actually a very pure system for accessing the higher and lower planes unlike ritual magic the Enochian language was codified and extraneous ritual and trappings where mostly removed.

newtonian. Sir Isaac Newton whilst most famous for his contributions to Physics wrote extensively on the  occult as a truly gifted mathematician and being lucky enough unlike Dee to be gifted with the Sight himself he was able to witness the shapes that enochian magic created in the astral plane and developed the ability to shape these Schema using just his mind his research continued after his death with a small but powerful magical society training young males with the sight. the techniques where also studied across europe and america though less popular than other styles the potency and fast casting ability madde newtonian spell casting a highly popular style for combat sorcerers unfortunately this meant that the style was almost extinguished by the great war with the cream of british and continental magic destroying each other in mystic combat across france and belgium just as their non magical countrymen where doing with machine guns and artillery. the second world war would reduce the depleted numbers still further with the small number of new apprentices and the last of the old guard trying to hold back the tide of the Nazis Occult warmachine

Computational Demonology Alan Turing is credited as the father of modern computing. his development of computational machines at bletchley park to counter Nazi cypher technology is credited with helping win the war. what is not publically known and is in fact kept extremely secret by all of the worlds major governments is that he also developed a new form of magic one significantly more potent that previous schools. computational demonology arose when Turing was asked to work on cracking the enigma variant used by the SS Hexen Wulf groups the occult warfare arm of the SS.

due to the necessity of understanding the types of  information being discussed Turing was introduced to the work of both Newton and Dee and his brilliant mind managed to unify and explain the process that they used to access magic was merely higher dimensional mathematics the structures described by newton and the language described by Dee where actually ways for the human mind to comprehend higher/lower dimensions and thus communicate with them. while it was very hard for a human mind to do this complex mathematical operation a computer could do it easily. thus computational demonology was born with the human mind protected from the negative effects of magic that damaged the minds and bodies of practitioners of the older styles.

unfortunately computational demonology made it a little too easy to do magic and with moore's law in effect if anyone discovers the secret the amount of damage they can do has been doubling every 18 months since 1945. as it stands now any script kiddie with the right knowledge could summon a demon or turn some one to stone with a smart phone

Occultism

The student of the occult, you know and understand the uses of the many ingredient and natural resources that hold mystical properties. In order to 'do' magic, you use those things to effect changes on the world around you. Occultists often have a home or workplace, full of readily available preparations, including premixed ingredients and ready to use toolkits. The area itself is also often covered in markings, runes, and treatments that make improvements to the place. 

For example:

Holy symbols plated with inherited silver (from melted down jewellry) that are large, heavy, and correctly shaped for use as a mace. 

Garlic, holly, and wolfsbane mixed into the potpourri, so that most people can't smell it at first.

Guides to runes, many of which have already been used, being carved into the underside of the desk or painted on the walls but under the wallpaper.

Three specific types of incense that can be burned together in order to hypnotise those that inhale it without having first built up an immunity.

And so on...

I like the Marvel Magical Definitions.

Personal: The ability to tap into personal energys and will power to warp reality to cause certain effects.

Universal: Uses loopholes in the rules of reality to cause certain effects.

Dimensional: Asking beings of power for assistance. Warning: they will come and collect.

Hey all. In my campaign I am classifying magic in my campaign in different classes. All magic will come from one of these areas. It won't have much of an impact overall but it will require players to specify where their magic is drawn from.

Right now I have:

Arcane which I am treating as an elemental force (think traditional wizards)

Another type is one that I don't know quite how to classify yet. Its those who can access magic via methods not belonging to the other five. Like my groups clockwork gadgeteer who can open gates (summoning) with his gadgets. He can manipulate magical forces with his clockwork toys by tinkering with time and mathematics and even sometimes chemistry. The followers of the other four disciplines don't always get along (especially the divine/infernal types) but they all have one thing in common: they all view this guy as an interloper at best and an affront to their craft who needs put in his place at worse.

As always input is welcome. Thanks.

Why would not Druid be a subset of Arcane?

uk hero project types:

Ritual a catch all term for the various traditions of what most people would describe as magic that have developed from the older shamanic traditions. the words phrases motions chanting and prepared ritual spaces are designed to allow the caster to commune with beings of the higher or lower realms and then have them use their power to perform a working. the ability and power of Ritual magic has increased but slowly due to the secrecy and active obfuscation of what actually works to prevent rival factions from using one groups rituals against them.

Enochian the first of the modern magical schools devised by John Dee the royal Physician for queen elizabeth working with a talented psychic called  Edward Kelley who helped him in his research using the rigorous approach of a Mathematician his work with Kelley created the Enochian language supposedly the language of the Angels but actually a very pure system for accessing the higher and lower planes unlike ritual magic the Enochian language was codified and extraneous ritual and trappings where mostly removed.

Enochian is a ceremonial magick style and IS A RITUAL Style.

I would argue Ritual is just a technique that could be used by almost any style

From a 5th edition point view this is represented by Extra time, Acting in concert /or the Ritual limitation, Window of Opportunity limitation, Focus with prep, Incantation(constant) , etc.

Personal: The ability to tap into personal energys and will power to warp reality to cause certain effects.

Dimensional: Asking beings of power for assistance. Warning: they will come and collect.

That's the system I've always used as well. Personal costs full END, Universal costs 1/2 END, and Dimensional costs 0 END. Limitations like Gestures and Incantations, especially at the higher levels as the mages entreat on powerful entities.

At the risk of asking a few silly questions...  

How many types of magic do you want?  

Is magic just one of many source of superpowers?   I assume you are running Champions by the forum.

How common is magic?

Should the different types of magic be exclusive or can a skilled practitioner (or even a novice) combine them?

The reason I would separate them would be their source. Arcane is dimensional magic, while Druidic is nature-based. In effect, both can do much the same things, although things like summoning will call different creatures. It does not say anything about the END cost, nor how easy or hard the spell is to cast. Casting through the dimensions would take as much effort and control as casting nature spells.

Parallels Role Master and to a lesser extent D&D.

• Mental lists/Psionics are fueled by the caster and are not limited to mental effects if you pay attention.
  • Essence Lists/ Arcane draw upon ambient magical energies and are affected by the level of those energies. Though D&D usually doesn't get into the mechanics often
  • Channeling/  Divine, you borrowing or are granted power by a supernatural being

The difference between Marvel's dimensional and standard divine is it seems to take awhile for the eponymous beings invoked in dimensional magic to notice you. But they eventually do. And you don't seem to need to need their permission unlike divine unless they actively block you.

What is even more interesting is that Dr. Strange didn't recognize his patrons when he first met them. And they were not at first necessarily on his side. Though one could argue they were playing with him or testing him.

Wardsman, on 15 Nov 2016 - 7:39 PM, said:snapback.png

The reason I would separate them would be their source. Arcane is dimensional magic, while Druidic is nature-based. In effect, both can do much the same things, although things like summoning will call different creatures. It does not say anything about the END cost, nor how easy or hard the spell is to cast. Casting through the dimensions would take as much effort and control as casting nature spells.

Is Arcane dimensional? Maybe,  maybe not

This is a question I pondered when I started converting D&D Characters. I really could not come up with a good reason for druids to be clerics at all. I could easily see them as arcane mages focusing on natural forces.

But then again most of my healers are hedge mages and witches anyway. 

You might call this Alchemy: the concept of scientifically transmuting matter and summoning the information that created the universe. Alchemy is the precursor of chemistry and atomic physics. But has a lot of esoteric concepts that did not prove true or at least by now can not be verified. Alchemists in most science fantasy backgrounds are seen as some kind of hybrid of magician and scientist. Normals treat them as mages, mages treat them as non-inducted into the esoteric and occult secrets.

That's the system I've always used as well. Personal costs full END, Universal costs 1/2 END, and Dimensional costs 0 END. Limitations like Gestures and Incantations, especially at the higher levels as the mages entreat on powerful entities.

Though I think if you borrow power from a supernatural patron you should need a pact or bargain with it.

Maybe pursue its goals and agenda. And you powers may be tied to its approval of your actions.

I suspect Clerics started as pacters.

You might call this Alchemy: the concept of scientifically transmuting matter and summoning the information that created the universe. Alchemy is the precursor of chemistry and atomic physics. But has a lot of esoteric concepts that did not prove true or at least by now can not be verified. Alchemists in most science fantasy backgrounds are seen as some kind of hybrid of magician and scientist. Normals treat them as mages, mages treat them as non-inducted into the esoteric and occult secrets.

Newton actually experimented with alchemy. His notes indicated there was some real chemistry hidden in it.

The difference between Marvel's dimensional and standard divine is it seems to take awhile for the eponymous beings invoked in dimensional magic to notice you. But they eventually do. And you don't seem to need to need their permission unlike divine unless they actively block you.

What is even more interesting is that Dr. Strange didn't recognize his patrons when he first met them. And they were not at first necessarily on his side. Though one could argue they were playing with him or testing him.

Yep. If you look back into his first appearances in the early 60s, some of his spells invoked Dormammu. I think when the Vishanti first revealed themselves to him he knew who they were (it was in response to his plea for aid against Shuma-Gorath), but he later encountered Agamotto in caterpillar form within his own Orb and had no idea what he was dealing with.

Yep. If you look back into his first appearances in the early 60s, some of his spells invoked Dormammu. I think when the Vishanti first revealed themselves to him he knew who they were (it was in response to his plea for aid against Shuma-Gorath), but he later encountered Agamotto in caterpillar form within his own Orb and had no idea what he was dealing with.

They may have not known Dormammu was a bad guy then.

My reckoning is when he first met the vishanti he didn't who they were. But I could be wrong.

But to the OP it is your world, make some decisions.

What is Magic? How many types and sources? Why does it exist? Why do some entities lend their powers? What are their agendas?

What are the drawbacks and costs of using magic?

Magic should never be just another superpower! That destroys its flavour.

I am building a heroic level system urban fantasy where would be mages must gather the power into receptacle (end batteries) then cast from that.

The original DC heroes(Mayfair)  differentiated people like Constine from Zantana by stating normals like Constantine need to take AP's in time to cast equal to the AP's in effect they were trying to use. As opposed to super mages who didn't.

Maybe Super mages have to cast all their stuff in a long ritual (Turn or more) and hang their spells  with delayed effect so it only looks easy. Release would be 1/2 phase action with full DCV. So they have cache of spells to use but to renew takes a little time out of combat.

Maybe mages are the only ones who can do certain effects in your world, mind effects or size changes for example.

Consider unusual looks vs mystic sense, hunteds and watched, , Susceptibilities and vulnerabilities for mages.

In my Urban Fantasy Mages must take susceptibilities that act like bans and taboos that fit their tradition.

Example a Voudon can be stopped by a line of red brick dust which acts like a arcane defense force wall to him.

Hermetics and Wiccans it would be a line of Sea Salt.

Witches take damage if put a nail in their foot prints.

Things like that.

If you don't want to make specific types of mages, but still want different kinds of magic, maybe try magical professions? That is, individuals who have magic simply infuse their normal efforts with magic.

For example:

Mercenaries who learn to make their fists hit like iron and their bodies heal faster.

Medical personnel who can heal injury and cure illness.

Animal trainers who can use the senses of their animals.

If you don't want to make specific types of mages, but still want different kinds of magic, maybe try magical professions? That is, individuals who have magic simply infuse their normal efforts with magic.

For example:

Mercenaries who learn to make their fists hit like iron and their bodies heal faster.

Medical personnel who can heal injury and cure illness.

Animal trainers who can use the senses of their animals.

Wouldn't that create different mages  in effect?

Also how common is it.

If you allow babbage style magic, why can't any tinkerer use it?

Same with script kiddie magic?

YMMV, but I would make the the middle three pact magic. While the source will change and shape the nature of the magic, there should be commonalities between the three as well differences.

Perhaps even competition and agendas.

As to the last one, don't assume those techniques don't work in all forms of magic.

In fact the techniques to focus concentration and power are present in all forms of magic.

Mantra, Mandala, and Mudra