Bronze Age of Comics

Christopher R Taylor

There also aren't necessarily really strong dividing lines between ages.  The Avengers was solidly bronze age into the early 2000s.  Now by Civil War, they had wholly adopted the iron age mentality, but before that, the stories would have fit right in with the earlier stuff.  And Alan Moore's Miracleman was iron age all the way back in 1982.  So you've got a spread of 20 years from the first appearance of the rusty darkness until it had spread to the most mainstream stuff.

In regards to Miracleman (or Marvelman as was) specifically, it's a special case because it's British and comes from their very different tradition.

Your basic British comic was weekly, mostly black and white, on low quality paper (newsprint), though that improves in the 1980s. Stories run in about 8 page segments, which gives a different publishing dynamic.

Moore was reviving a Captain Marvel knock off character from the 50's (created because DC shut down Fawcett and their UK reprinter lost their source of material) in a comic magazine pitched as a more grown up rival to 2000AD (Warrior), so Miracleman never really had anything to do with the Silver Age. It's a Golden Age/Atomic Age fantasy imposed on a modern situation (with a science fiction meta-background). And while it's technically a 1982 thing, it's influence basically dates from when Eclipse started doing the reprints in 1985. Prior to that it was largely unknown outside the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, this isn't hard.  Golden Age was anything before the Comics Code.  

After the Comics code it was Silver Age up until the death of Gwen Stacy for Marvel and Speedy's heroine addiction for DC.  

Bronze Age was from those two events until the late 80s when heroes weren't cool anymore.  Call it Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns.

Iron Age came with the advent of the small indy publishers like Dark Horse.

Younger players are more likely to connect with some of the cartoons that have been out lately. I haven't really watched anything like that since Justice League Unlimited ended, but I'm sure there's been lots of animation that captures a Bronze Age feeling.

You REALLY need to watch Young Justice.

Guys, this isn't hard.  Golden Age was anything before the Comics Code.  

After the Comics code it was Silver Age up until the death of Gwen Stacy for Marvel and Speedy's heroine addiction for DC.  

Bronze Age was from those two events until the late 80s when heroes weren't cool anymore.  Call it Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns.

Iron Age came with the advent of the small indy publishers like Dark Horse.

I mostly ignore the small publishers when considering "ages" - but I do position the end of the Bronze Age as coming with the popularity of "superhero deconstructionist" comics such as Frank Miller's Dark Knight.

Younger players are more likely to connect with some of the cartoons that have been out lately. I haven't really watched anything like that since Justice League Unlimited ended, but I'm sure there's been lots of animation that captures a Bronze Age feeling.

And even Silver Age! I'm watching with my kids Justice League Action and it has a younger kids feel, Closer to Justice Friends but not quite.

Silver Age would be Batman '66, Super Friends, and the 1968 Spiderman/Captain America/Hulk/Iron Man animated series.

I seem to recall a Hawkman animated series from around that same time frame.

Not a true animated series, Hawkman segments were part of the Aquaman/Superman show (along with other lesser DC heroes like Teen Titans (minus Robin), the Flash, the Justice League of America (minus Batman), ect...)

Silver Age would be Batman '66, Super Friends, and the 1968 Spiderman/Captain America/Hulk/Iron Man animated series.

I seem to recall a Hawkman animated series from around that same time frame.

the Hawkman cartoons were originally part of the guest star segments of the Superman Aquaman hour of adventure