The 2019 Baseball Thread

Pariah

3 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

They kept pitching to Bonds as he stroked 72 home runs.  Pitchers are sure they are the one that can get him out (and they should have that attitude or shouldn't be up there) and managers hate to give up a free runner.

Well, it worked, because 5 of those time, once with bases loaded, there ended up no runners on base afterwards. He and their pitchers basically won all 3 of the last games. I think he accounted for 80% of the runs they scored after the first game.

Much like was mentioned with Bonds above, when he is hot, you should just walk him. discounting the lack of anyone on Angels, I would almost say that with all but 10-15 guys in MLB (there is a reason he is considered best player now and maybe challenge for best ever if stays healthy). You might pitch to him in situations if Betts, Harper, Bellinger or Seager from the Dodgers are hitting behind him. Those are the only guys off the top of my head I can think of.

Meanwhile, in Baltimore, slugger Chris Davis has opened the season on an 0-for-49 streak, which may not even have bottomed out yet.

Davis is still owed $161 million or so in mostly guaranteed money, under a contract he signed after the best season of his career. Nobody expected his skills to deteriorate quite this badly, as he is following up a dismal 2018 with this truly impressive feat of futility. Both he and the O's have some decisions to make, as it looks like it may indeed be over for Davis as far as being an effective Major League hitter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am baffled by the Seattle ownership, its like they gambled everything on winning last year, and having not done so, just gave up.

This might be the weirdest double play I've ever seen.

I'm all for aggressive base running but getting caught in TWO rundowns in the same out is pretty embarrassing.

DiPoto is trying to do the same thing he tried to do with Angels, only was blocked by Scioscia. He wants Seattle to be Houston 6-8 years ago, 100 plus losses, huge minors, hopefully dominant for years when all ready. He actually did a good job of starting the Angels minors rebuilding, but I am not sure it is going to work for them.

• 3 months later...

So, something I told both my Brother and my Friend is possibly happening. When the Angels hired Ausmus and none of us could figure out why, I said that Joe Maddon's contract with Cubs ends at end of season so I wonder if Ausmus is really a 1 year contract (hey, if he does great, awesome) and the real hope is to get Joe do come back to the Angels. Sunday, Cubs chose not to resign Maddon, Monday, Angels removed Ausmus as manager. God I hope Joe does come back.

On 10/1/2019 at 4:33 AM, Pariah said:

...and the Rockies go from consecutive playoff appearances to dead last in the NL West (and the third worst record in the NL overall). 

Well, there's always next year.

Did Coors Field go back to being a launching pad for the Rockies' opponents.

I the Strat-o-Matic/Action Baseball leagues I've been in, Colorado pitchers haven't exactly been a prized commodity because the games' rating are based on the previous season's statistics and pitching in Coors tends to inflate those.

I collected half a dozen years or so of Strat-o-Matic seasons back in the 80's, and figured out how that worked; when the Rockies started out I wondered how they would wedge in the altitude effects.  Have they added in park effects into the game?

7 hours ago, Cancer said:

I collected half a dozen years or so of Strat-o-Matic seasons back in the 80's, and figured out how that worked; when the Rockies started out I wondered how they would wedge in the altitude effects.  Have they added in park effects into the game?

Yes, there are now stats that take into effect parks.

I gotta be honest I really did not expect the Cards to win even 2 games in that series against the Braves, but they were dominant.  Very impressive.  And I expected the Dodgers to win as well.  Good thing I don't gamble on this stuff.

I can't blame Dave Roberts for poor decisions, I think he gets marching orders from the front office.  The Dodgers just feel like a really heavy top-down run team.