Images only to duplicate yourself

Ximenez

Looking for opinions: a player wants the ability to create an illusory duplicate of himself. How much of a disadvantage to Images is "Only to create a duplicate of yourself?" The two duplicates can do different things--the image could appear to attack while the real one runs off, or vice-versa.

Have you considered making this illusory duplicate an actual duplicate?  It should not take a LOT of points to create a phantom with effectively no powers beyond images (only to look like using powers of duplicate).  I would think you need desolidification (invisible effects) and you could probably buy down most of the stats to minimum (not INT, EGO PRE I think).  You might want multiple duplicates in the event one gets injured and killed (and so a Regen - come back from dead would be valuable here).

Thus you would have an illusory duplicate that actually exists and can act independently of the character, looking like it is doing things the character can do.  If a duplicate is physically disrupted it can take a while for the main character to get it back together again....

Doc

Unless I missed something Doc D, if it's bought as a duplicate and it dies, that's it for the duplicate - it doesn't come back even though you spent points for it originally. I'd go with Images which is exactly what the power description is looking for.

I am extremely opposed to taking points away from a character except on a temporary basis.  I would point out to the player the death potential but that, for a few points, this could be mitigated.  I fail to see why, once you allow a resurrection power, that it could not be used on a duplicate.

Doc "fighting for equal rights for duplicates" Democracy

6 hours ago, dmjalund said:

If you want your duplicates to come back after they die, give them resurrection regeneration

Agreed. Ximenez asked how do create it, I stated it RAW Doc D. I think Images is the way to go. I'm not saying I agree with the rules for Duplication either (among others).

I remember facing a villain whose standard MO was to

1) Make himself Invisible,

2) Project an Image of himself,

3) Use all his Attack powers bought with Indirect - they come from the Image.

So all attacks against him have no effect at all.  You have to figure out how he's doing it, and be able to see and target the invisible guy to defeat him.