Favourite edition for FH

Tywyll

1 hour ago, Tywyll said:

What's your favourite edition to use for FH, and why?

I have mostly used fifth for my FH campaigns, though I ran a short one in Sixth. I think 5th is my comfort zone but I am wondering if I should try sixth especially since I have Complete Fantasy now.

There's not really a lot of difference between the 5th and 6th edition Fantasy Hero genre books.  If you have the 5th edition genre book, you can use it with Fantasy Hero Complete; the main drawback is that the game mechanics in it are meant for 5th.  But if you've played 5th and 6th both, then you probably can work out the translations where necessary.   Alternately, if you've played lots of 5e FH and it works for you and it's comfortable, why switch?  

My own favorite edition for Fantasy Hero is first edition, the standalone version released way back when.  :)  But 6th has been growing on me in a lot of ways.  

On 10/16/2019 at 6:21 PM, Scott Ruggels said:

Favorite Edition?   The playtest rules! Man, Magic was cheap. This was contemporaneous with Espionage, so people had huge numbers of combat levels. Mostly, it was the GM, L. Douglas Garrett. 

Where can I get a copy? :D

On 10/16/2019 at 6:40 PM, ScottishFox said:

4th edition is still my favorite, but Hero Designer works for 5th and 6th so I just bit the bullet and learned 6th edition.

Overall it's working out pretty well, but the 6th edition HERO system rule books are player-crushingly thick.  None of my players are willing to choke through 600+ pages of material.

yeah, when I dove back into FH, I started by picking up my old 4th edition books. But, same issue, HD works for 5th and 6tth.

I used to have a physical copy of HD. I think it worked for 4th, but I can't find the disk to check, sadly. Or was it just old 5th?

Was there ever a program for 4th?

On 10/16/2019 at 12:49 PM, Chris Goodwin said:

My own favorite edition for Fantasy Hero is first edition, the standalone version released way back when

That and Danger International were the games that pretty much got me into Hero back in the day. Even used the FH magic system when I needed some kind of weird powers for DI (e.g. horror campaigns). I tended to run fantasy campaigns that don't fit the D&D mold very well (heroic fantasy based on Classical mythology and such) so I loved it. Haven't played anything later than 4th ed., though.

7 hours ago, Tywyll said:

Where can I get a copy? :D

LOL.  :D  I'd love to see one too!  

7 hours ago, Tywyll said:

yeah, when I dove back into FH, I started by picking up my old 4th edition books. But, same issue, HD works for 5th and 6tth.

I used to have a physical copy of HD. I think it worked for 4th, but I can't find the disk to check, sadly. Or was it just old 5th?

Was there ever a program for 4th?

Heromaker was the official one for 4th.  I'm not sure how easy it is to find a legal copy.  Probably in the "difficult to impossible" category.  There was another one called Hero Creator, which was licensed and was based on a multi-system program called Meta Creator.  I think Meta Creator can still be had from its publisher, and it might be possible to find and use the 4th edition plugin for it.  

2 hours ago, DavidV said:

That and Danger International were the games that pretty much got me into Hero back in the day. Even used the FH magic system when I needed some kind of weird powers for DI (e.g. horror campaigns). I tended to run fantasy campaigns that don't fit the D&D mold very well (heroic fantasy based on Classical mythology and such) so I loved it. Haven't played anything later than 4th ed., though.

🤜 🤛   ⚔️  :rockon:

1 hour ago, Chris Goodwin said:

Heromaker was the official one for 4th.  I'm not sure how easy it is to find a legal copy.  Probably in the "difficult to impossible" category.  There was another one called Hero Creator, which was licensed and was based on a multi-system program called Meta Creator.  I think Meta Creator can still be had from its publisher, and it might be possible to find and use the 4th edition plugin for it.  

Or you could do what I used to do and just bash out a spreadsheet for character creation in your favorite office package. 😎 Since I wasn't running Champions, I didn't need to worry much about powers, though I did have a sheet for those, too, so I could do spells, psychic powers, etc. for campaigns that required them. Alas, the last one I built (for Excel 2003, IIRC) is long gone.

28 minutes ago, DavidV said:

Or you could do what I used to do and just bash out a spreadsheet for character creation in your favorite office package. 😎 Since I wasn't running Champions, I didn't need to worry much about powers, though I did have a sheet for those, too, so I could do spells, psychic powers, etc. for campaigns that required them. Alas, the last one I built (for Excel 2003, IIRC) is long gone.

I put together a Google spreadsheet that was meant to be a 3rd edition Champions character generator.  It's not quite there, but I do have it able to build rules-compliant 3rd edition Champions powers.  It's not too far from that to a FH 1e spell builder...