Alien Wars cover

Darren Watts

Re: Alien Wars cover

Originally posted by Darren Watts

Wow, not one comment on Nick's cover for this fab book? You guys really don't know what you're missing over here... dw

It's good, no doubt, but I have #$$# for eyesight, and get the feeling I'm missing all sorts of good details. I'll probably apprecate it more when I have the book before me.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

I think Sociotard was referring to the Captain's broom-bristle goatee. The slang term "soup strainer" is usually used for a mustache, though.

I thought so to, until I tried growing a goat. *sigh* they don't call me the sociotard for nuthin. *shudders at memories of dinnertime laughter*

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

I think Sociotard was referring to the Captain's broom-bristle goatee. The slang term "soup strainer" is usually used for a mustache, though.

Ah, gotcha now.

Of course, a lot can change in 300 years. By then decorum may be more important for Army than Navy, rather than the other way around as it is today (not that the Army necessarily lacks decorum; but you know what I mean).

Originally posted by Sociotard

I thought so to, until I tried growing a goat. *sigh* they don't call me the sociotard for nuthin. *shudders at memories of dinnertime laughter*

Well I've got a goatee, and soup's no problem for me. Waffle cones are another story....

Oh yeah, cool cover!!! When's it shipping?

thanx heaps,

DGv3.0

AW shipped yesterday (Monday, December 8). We'll have it at GenCon SoCal, and of course it's on its way to stores.

Part of the idea behind the cover illo, as well as some in the book, is not lax discipline, but the sort of "grittiness" you get in sub movies (where there's always the guy in the grimy tee-shirt fixing something... :) ). There's also the issue of logistical/supply problems that crop up, which you'll read about in the book. It's hard to fight a war over tens of thousands of light-years, and sometimes those cramped starships get a little stuffy. ;)