Quick: Champions or TUV?

Chris Goodwin

Ok. I went to a con today at which Aaron Allston was guest of honor. I didn't know until I got there, though, that the dealers room had no, as in zero, zilch, zippo, the big nada, game retailers. Plus I'd missed Mr. Allston's autograph period anyway. So I ended up with the big nada, etc.

Just in case anyone was curious.

Originally posted by archer

Ok. I went to a con today at which Aaron Allston was guest of honor. I didn't know until I got there, though, that the dealers room had no, as in zero, zilch, zippo, the big nada, game retailers. Plus I'd missed Mr. Allston's autograph period anyway. So I ended up with the big nada, etc.

Just in case anyone was curious.

:( :( You have my most sincere condolences [quiet sobbing in background] an author-signed Champions would have been the coup of a lifetime. ["Pass me another tissue.."]

Originally posted by Steve Long

Sorry to hear you missed out on getting Aaron's autograph.

At GenCon, when asked to sign copies of Champions, I usually signed with my "Be a Hero!" message. He would then come along behind and sign "Be a Villain!". ;)

I was sitting here reading this and my fiance thought it was funny that Steve's pic was the same as the book I have next to me(yes I keep it next to me at all times). I had to point out that Steve Long was the same as Steven S. Long, the author of said book. :D

Now she's calling me a dork.. That's ok.. at least I can read.. LOL

At GenCon, when asked to sign copies of Champions, I usually signed with my "Be a Hero!" message. He would then come along behind and sign "Be a Villain!". ;)

Hmmm... He must have started doing that after I got to you guys... He signed mine with "Best wishes!" Wish I had had more time to hang with you guys...

Anyway, I hope you'll pardon me, but the best autograph I got was when the Pelgrane Press guys took my (used) copy of the Dying Earth RPG and gave me a shrinkwrapped copy signed by the author, development team and Jack Vance, who happens to be one of my favorite authors ever!

Sorry. I still can't believe my good luck. And in the first two hours of the Con, too!

"Be a..."

This so makes me want to start signing books with, "Be a Bloomin' Nuisance!" ;)

Speaking of luck...

I picked up the now ultra-rare Champions adventure Wings of the Valkyrie when it was first released, but foolishly sold it a couple of years later. I was under extreme emotional stress at the time and not thinking clearly. :o

After I came to my senses I tried to find another copy, but of course they'd all been recalled by that time due to the infamous controversy. I finally wrote to Wings author Rob Bell, who had become HERO line editor for ICE by that time, to ask him if he knew where I could find a copy. Rob sent me one of his own, signed, free of charge. :D

IIRC Rob Bell was the first one to use that "Be a Hero" tag line, which is how he signed my book.