Stranger Things

Sociotard

I kind of assumed that most of the rank and file employees were unaware of the secret experiments going on in the secret labs on the secret floors of that facility. Knowledge of the psychic dimension penetration experiments was likely limited to only a handful of scientists, lab technicians, and security personel.

Oh sure. It was the fact that no one in town seemed to know anyone who worked there and seemed only vaguely aware of the lab's existence at all. It doesn't mean they'd know everything that was going on. Heck, for much of my childhood all I knew of my Dad's work was: "How was your day, Dear?" "Fine." Because his work was classified and that's all he could say about it. :)

It's a general problem in the conspiracy theory genre. How on earth could the thousands involved in the Apollo 'fake' keep such a secret a secret?

Exactly. Which wouldn't bug me if there wasn't a significant portion of our population who actually believes those sorts of conspiracies are plausible in the real world. Personally I blame Chris Carter.

Yeah, I wondered about that too. But the series simply didn't have time to address the wrongful death suits and other "real world" stuff that would have been going on in the margins of the main story. Nor would I have wanted any time spent on it, to be honest.

Agreed. At some point you have to accept that there's stuff going on off camera. Like all the people who were upset that no one seemed to be as worried about Barb's disappearance as much as they were about Will's. Setting aside the difference between "young kid lost or abducted" vs "apparent teen runaway," I assumed Barb's family was going nuts and doing a lot of the same stuff Will's family was doing. We just didn't get to see it because there's only 8 episodes to pack everything into.

Finally finished the season last night. Good stuff!  My wife rated it five stars, while I rated it four. I thought there were a couple of episodes that were just OK, and there were some things that I hope will be explored in the 2nd season that weren't here (including the aforementioned pile of dead bodies left in Eleven's wake).

I'm looking forward to season 2. Netflix is really firing on all cylinders now. Although less than half of their original series are of any interest to me, the ones that are have been very good indeed.

Oh sure. It was the fact that no one in town seemed to know anyone who worked there and seemed only vaguely aware of the lab's existence at all. It doesn't mean they'd know everything that was going on. Heck, for much of my childhood all I knew of my Dad's work was: "How was your day, Dear?" "Fine." Because his work was classified and that's all he could say about it. :)

Exactly. Which wouldn't bug me if there wasn't a significant portion of our population who actually believes those sorts of conspiracies are plausible in the real world. Personally I blame Chris Carter.

Agreed. At some point you have to accept that there's stuff going on off camera. Like all the people who were upset that no one seemed to be as worried about Barb's disappearance as much as they were about Will's. Setting aside the difference between "young kid lost or abducted" vs "apparent teen runaway," I assumed Barb's family was going nuts and doing a lot of the same stuff Will's family was doing. We just didn't get to see it because there's only 8 episodes to pack everything into.

Chris Carter was awfully young when he was coaching Henry Ford about his "doubts" about Pearl Harbor. Just saying. 

Fun show. As a teen-to-adult in the 80s, maybe I missed some of the easter eggs, but I just about laughed out loud when I was introduced to blonde-wigged Eleven as Will's (Mike's?) second cousin from out of town, there to attend the memorial service for not-Laura Palmer. And she didn't even end up getting golf-clubbed to death by uhm, spoilers I guess. Although now that I think about it, that distinguished mane of white hair. . .  

Chris Carter was awfully young when he was coaching Henry Ford about his "doubts" about Pearl Harbor. Just saying.

:) Fair enough. But while conspiracy theories certainly aren't new, they used to be much more fringe elements. The Pearl Harbor conspiracy nuts were out there, but they weren't a significant percentage of the population (AFAICT - I can't find polling on the question), and there weren't literally hundreds of other conspiracy theories being thrown about the airwaves on a daily basis, some being openly endorsed by Presidential candidates.* Post-Watergate distrust of government fueled it of course, but to me it feels like it really became part of the zeitgeist around the time X-Files was all over everything and suddenly everything had to be a conspiracy.

* Not looking to open that can of worm here - just using it as an example of how mainstream some of these ideas have become.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm currently watching the first episode and I'm bored out of my mind. I wanted to like it, I really did. I mean, I'm obsessed with the 80s. Then there's the gaming angle. But it's just too damn slow. Which is weird because I prefer the slower, more developed scenes of older shows and movies to the frenetic, shallow scenes of most recent entertainment. And none of the characters really interest me. About the only thing I do enjoy about it is the music. Hearing a couple of Jefferson Airplane songs at the diner was more exciting to me than anything else.

Yeah, it's not going to resonate with everyone, no matter how great it is.

There are plenty of shows that lots of people rave about that I simply can't get into: Breaking Bad, The Office, The Walking Dead, Arrested Development, Mad Men, just to name a few.

It just means we are each particular and discerning in our own way. ;)

There are plenty of shows that lots of people rave about that I simply can't get into: Breaking Bad, The Office, The Walking Dead, Arrested Development, Mad Men, just to name a few.

I haven't watched most of those but I can't stand The Office so I know what you mean.

On the bright side, I just found Freaks and Geeks on Netflix so I'll be getting my 80s fix after all. [Man, it's hard to believe this show is almost twenty years old.]

P.S. Joe Flaherty rocks!!! :rockon:

Breaking Bad didn't even make it through my five episode trial.  Heck it didn't make it through the pilot. The Office I never watched because I hate sitcoms. The Walking Dead was awesome for the first couple of seasons. After that, any pretense that the zombies were made from a virus or something was thrown out the window, alongside any interesting stories.  Mad Men I never watched because, well, the premise seems boring to me. 

And just because its topical; 

Made it through 2 1/2 episodes of Breaking Bad, the Office is ok (actually like the somewhat similar Parks and Recreation), by the time I got wind of the Walking Dead phenomenon it was 5 seasons in and zombies have been so overdone that my interest level does not outweigh the daunting task of catching up on 5 years of tv.  There is only so much tv time and I don't let the idea of something like Mad Men enter my radar.

Ah, the simpler days of my youth when they're were only 3 networks and no reruns.  :)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Even though I don't like the show, I would play the heck out of that game.

Edit: I thought this was something you needed an actual game system to play. Now that I know it's available in the Google Play Store, I can change "I would play the heck out of it" to "I will play the heck out of it".

• 3 weeks later...