6th Edition Teen Champions-how many points?

Steve

I run a yearly Teen Champs 6th ed game at Dundracon.  It really depends on how many dice you want to throw and how varied they will have in their effects.  I do 300 pt and set the Teen Champs at about 9d6 which I figure is about the teen level in the teen superhero comics now.  If you do teen comics back in the 70s/80s, you might want to drop it more towards 250.  The thing I found is, its not the power level that makes teen champs, teen champs.  Its the melodrama and the inexperience.  If you look at Teen Titans, the "teenagers" are full powered supers and can match the JL easily.  Its only their inexperience and maturity that causes them any problems.

I've also found the players also don't really like being power ineffectual, but seem to relish teen angst, teen drama, and teen partying.  Fighting a demon overlord that is the adult champions level strength, was not as much fun as, skipping out on being grounded by their super teachers and not getting caught.

I was thinking about this while reading another post, but to make the characters more inept at using their powers (though again I don't recommend it for the reason stated in my earlier post), you could say no power costing over 10 or 15 real points.  Thus if they want a truly powerful ability on the scale of say 60 active points, they will need -3 or more in limitations to use it.

Really it depends on the tone of your campaign.  If you want them to be beginning kids with minor powers learning to deal with them, 250 will work great.  If you want them to be teenagers who happen to have like 1 power or a small suite of very closely connected ones, 200 will work.  If you want them to be superheroes who just happen to be youthful, you're going to want 300 or more points.

Its the melodrama and the inexperience.  If you look at Teen Titans, the "teenagers" are full powered supers and can match the JL easily.  Its only their inexperience and maturity that causes them any problems.

I have to say that this is the issue to me. When I ran one I didn't put limits on the powers so much as on skills, characteristics, and on requiring some limitations like activation rolls, burnout, and other such that truly limited what they could do with the power and when. I like citing Marvel's Cannonball as an example. Originally he could just blast along at full speed with no maneuverability or anything else. Slowly he learned more about his power and how he could use it, gaining more control so that he could finally turn while blasting, then he could stop and turn around, then hover, and finally he could use his invulnerability even when he wasn't zipping around or full on blasting. He therefore didn't actually get more powerful, he just learned how to use his power more effectively and in a wider range of situations. That's teens for you: they're already got a good head on their strength, they just lack the experience to always know how best to use it and how not to push things beyond their ability to control just yet.

Teen Superheros is not equal to weak heros. Just look at the LoSH. (ok, most are low powered compaired to Superboy, but he is Superboy, the teenage Superman).

LSH has a extreme range of power levels...Probably the highest range of any team I can think of.  You have practical gods (Brainiac 5. the various Kryptonians/daxamites, Sun Boy, wildfire, etc...) to someone who can make a single duplicate (originally 2 dupes) or turn invisible. 

I honestly have a hard time thinking of any group with more power levels in it

LSH has a extreme range of power levels...Probably the highest range of any team I can think of. You have practical gods (Brainiac 5. the various Kryptonians/daxamites, Sun Boy, wildfire, etc...) to someone who can make a single duplicate (originally 2 dupes) or turn invisible.

I honestly have a hard time thinking of any group with more power levels in it

X-Men?

Justice League goes from dude with arrows to Superman, Martian Manhunter (who I'd argue is even more powerful than Supes) and The Flash.  That's a petty huge range of points and power levels, too.  But it works in Legion because they're so big and so spread out you can have a story with Matter Eater Lad and Duplicate Damsel fighting street crooks while Ultraboy saves the universe.  It makes more sense for LSH, where Justice League they have to work really hard to make a conflict where Batman and Wonder Woman stand side by side.  In terms of a Champions game, its Ms 750 points plus Mr 350 working on the same adventure.