WWYHD - Stuck In Dome City

steriaca

Your hero awakes for the day to find the campaign city is sealed off by an indestructible dome. Air can get in, but there is no way above or below the dome. You can't phase through it, nor teleport beyond it. The food still appears (the dome also covers near by farm land).

Is the dome solid matter or some kind or a force field? If the latter, the logical course of action would be to look around for whoever or whatever might be generating the field. Are any mysterious persons entering and exiting at will? If so, is there a door somewhere or are they using some kind of devices that allow passage through the barrier? If there's door, find out if it requires a key or access code to open and attempt to acquire it. If they're using devices to pass through, wait for an opportunity to ambush one of them and take theirs.

I am always the GM (I never get to play *sad face*), so I have to answer from the perspective of my players:

How many levels of Cannot Be Escaped By Teleportation does the dome have? How much Power Defense does the Dome have?

Depending upon the answers to those questions 'The Amazing RIFT!' might still be able to escape. Rift was a Gate-User played by one of my players that had some seriously munchkin-like Gates written by yours truly.

Likewise 'Lady Rhiannon' (another character from the same campaign) could probably escape with Rift using her 'Stolen Spellbook' VPP (by making a 2m Teleport spell with Increased Mass (100 Kg.) and thirty levels of Armor Piercing, or a Cumulative Penetrating Dispel that would eventually overcome the Barrier's APs, or something else similarly munchkiny, my wife was good at that).

Assuming the Dome exists as a plot device, and uses the Absolute Effect rules so that no amount the shenanigans can be used to bypass its intended purpose:

My players would probably be running around the city, trying to find out who/what set up the dome, and how to collapse it (because they would trust that I'm not the kind of GM that would make the dome completely impossible to destroy).

Regarding PCs from that campaign:

Rift would try, and be very upset when she failed, to Gate through the Dome. She would try to tunnel under or through the Dome, using her Gate like a Drill. She was pretty wacky and tongue-in-cheek... so she'd try almost anything that works in Cartoons. Including using Gravity Manipulation to try and uproot the Dome.

Rhiannon would try discern whether or not the Dome was "Evil" (using her magic sword that detected evil), then she'd try to hack through the Dome with her sword for something like 4d6 Armor Piercing Killing Damage... If that didn't work she'd try magic (using her Stolen Spellbook as described above).

Regarding NPCs from that campaign:

The Man of Steel (aka Klark C. Entripoff) would hurl himself at the Dome confidently for something like 24d6 Normal Damage per Phase (at Spd 4). Unless the Dome was made from Unobtainium, his greatest weakness. In that case he'd say as far away from it as possible (since it would negate all of this powers; reduce most of his Primary Characteristics to 3, and deal 1d6 Normal Damage per Turn). He would claim that he could break the Dome at any time, and that he was simply giving the lesser heroes, like Defender, a chance to shine.

Mindhound would investigate from the shadows, using Mind Scan and Telepathy to try and discern who created the Dome, or who stands to benefit from sealing the city. If he discovered the culprit, he would report it to the Champions or the Players (my campaign took place in Millennium City).

The Trojanmen (a Villainous Agency), led by the Trojan Mastermind (a Powered Armor super genius) would commit a crime spree while the heroes were distracted dealing with the Dome.

The Dungeon Master*, who would probably have been responsible for the Dome given that he has the ability to manifest pocket dimensions tailored to his specifications, would be steadily turning parts of the city into iconic fantastical Dungeon Crawls, complete with strange monsters of his own imagining (some of which were quite broken). Into which he would bait heroes with the promise that if they 'cleared the dungeon' he would reward them by freeing the city.

*Note: My players hated the Dungeon Master so much I had to stop using him... Even though he barely qualified as a villain, he just wasn't very fun to deal with.

Heroic Halfwit sez, "What is a dome but a wall on steroids?  And what is the purpose of a wall but to keep something in or keep something out?  Putting up a wall over an entire city, a selectively permeable but essentially invulnerable one essentially instantly without anyone noticing indicates whoever did it had a lot of juice.  If the city were completely enclosed and not selectively permeable we could survive, even if we ran our cars and what not for at least a couple of hours.  One infers that anyone who put up the dome in the first place could have made it impermeable to air, so relatively safe to assume that the Domer intended people to survive...."[lots of lightning calculation, Area Knowledge, Deduction rolls later...

"Probable scenario is that the Domer wants something here in the City that either needs air itself or must be maintained by organisms or processes that need air.  This whatever needs to be protected for a relatively longish period of time.... It's a damn egg.  And we're the yolk to be consumed by the developing monster until it is strong enough to breakout of the egg and wreak havoc on the planet..."

"Drama queen."  Phantastik snorts.  

Ballistic sighs heavily and shaking his head, "You got any better ideas?"  Seeing no volunteers, "Sounds like a plan to me, scour the city for something that requires air that might grow up into Godzilla and kill it."

• 3 weeks later...

Darkstar would not be happy. Sure, he voluntarily locks himself away from noises, people, and light for says at a time. But being locked in by this dome... he'd freak. After exhausting himself trying to blast his way through it he'd eventually try to figure out why the dome is here. Something being kept in? Maybe. The whole town about to be (or already has been) stolen as an exhibit in some extra-dimensional zoo? He'd look for evidence of that. Maybe there's tiny cameras, or maybe the dome itself is a one way mirror.

Fish Guy being (as far as he knows) just a water breathing brick would be frustrated. He'd see if he could contact the New Samaritans and check out where the food comes from. Are they supposed to farm it themselves, or does it get dropped off, if so, how? 

He would check any water ways he could find, of course.