The 2020-21 College Football Thread

Pariah

Well, regardless of how they do in the Duke's Mayo bowl tomorrow (and isn't that a lovely match-up between two .500 teams), I'm just happy that Wisconsin got to play Minnesota this year.  Keeps the series as the most played AND longest continuous rivalry in FBS football.  Maybe the Badgers can't beat Ohio State on the field, but this is one thing we can beat them at. :)

4 minutes ago, novi said:

Well, regardless of how they do in the Duke's Mayo bowl tomorrow (and isn't that a lovely match-up between two .500 teams), I'm just happy that Wisconsin got to play Minnesota this year.  Keeps the series as the most played AND longest continuous rivalry in FBS football.  Maybe the Badgers can't beat Ohio State on the field, but this is one thing we can beat them at. :)

Arkansas was going to play in the Texas Bowl at 3-7.  It just got cancelled today because TCU can't field enough of a team.  So, hey, a pair of .500 teams isn't so bad this year.  (And honestly, there's a few games that are 6-6 vs. 7-5 in a regular bowl season.  Just not from the same conference usually.)

7 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Arkansas was going to play in the Texas Bowl at 3-7.  It just got cancelled today because TCU can't field enough of a team.  So, hey, a pair of .500 teams isn't so bad this year.  (And honestly, there's a few games that are 6-6 vs. 7-5 in a regular bowl season.  Just not from the same conference usually.)

.500 sounds better than a 3-3 team playing a 4-4 team.  I know it's a strange year, but there was a time when making a bowl game meant something. ;)

4 minutes ago, novi said:

.500 sounds better than a 3-3 team playing a 4-4 team.  I know it's a strange year, but there was a time when making a bowl game meant something. ;)

It's been a while.  They've been diluted slowly.  If I'm counting right, there were 25 in 2003.  That's 50 teams;  at the time, I think there were around 115 FCS programs, so that's about 45% qualification rate.  That's high, but not crazy.  Now it's 39;  the title game is separate.  Out of 127...so there are slots for almost 2/3 of the teams.  That by definition means many of them mean very, very little.

By comparison, the Div I basketball tourney has 68 slots...10 fewer.  It's less clear how many teams could legitimately claim to be eligible for them.  For example, the bottom...dozen or so conferences have 1 slot each and virtually NO chance of a second.  So the distribution is FAR from uniform.  Still, it's reasonably competitive.  There are always arguments about the last at-large picks, but it tends to be hair-splitting.  Even the power conferences rarely get half their teams in.

Three of BYU's most important players--QB Zach Wilson, WR Dax Milne, and LT Brady Christensen--have now declared for the upcoming NFL draft. Wilson is almost certainly a top-10 pick. Where Christensen, an All-American, and Milne might be selected is less certain.

BYU hasn't had multiple players selected in the NFL draft in over a decade.

Ohio State up 14 on Clemson late in the second quarter? Definitely did not see that one coming. It'll be interesting to see if they can keep up this level intensity through the second half, too.

Edit: 35-14 at the half? Are you kidding me?

Wink wink, nudge nudge...

Indiana football removes Big Ten logo from Outback Bowl uniform; Tom Allen says no disrespect intended

Former Indiana AD Fred Glass was less diplomatic:

“I’m not AD anymore, nor officially affiliated with IU, so I can tell you what I think, and that is this: Our program, our coach and our kids got done in by the good-old-boy Big Ten football power structure,” Glass told the IndyStar. “There are influential people who don’t want Indiana to be good in football. They’re used to coming into our state and poaching our best high school players, and counting us as a W on their schedules. That’s why they don’t advocate for us.”

32 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Wink wink, nudge nudge...

Indiana football removes Big Ten logo from Outback Bowl uniform; Tom Allen says no disrespect intended

Former Indiana AD Fred Glass was less diplomatic:

“I’m not AD anymore, nor officially affiliated with IU, so I can tell you what I think, and that is this: Our program, our coach and our kids got done in by the good-old-boy Big Ten football power structure,” Glass told the IndyStar. “There are influential people who don’t want Indiana to be good in football. They’re used to coming into our state and poaching our best high school players, and counting us as a W on their schedules. That’s why they don’t advocate for us.”

Yeah, there's disrepect intended because it was earned.

What's amusing is Dabo's getting his own payback for putting OSU #11.  Tigers are getting GUTTED.  Lovely, and I'm not an OSU fan at all. 5 minutes left in the 3rd...OSU already has almost 550 yards.

And the game had one of the most TERRIBLE ref calls in ages.  Trey Sermon takes a nice little slant for a solid gain.  Refs think he bounced off the defender, didn't call him down.  77 yards later, touchdown signaled.  Except that his right elbow (with the ball) was CLEARLY down before rolling over the tackler...AND his knee CLEARLY touched during the roll.  Rather pathetic there, refs.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Has anyone told Iowa State that black is one of Iowa's school colors...?

Seems not.  It is weird, isn't it?  I hadn't noticed but they're doing white on black.  There's not even any red or gold on the helmet.
But the reality in uniforms is, make as many color combos as you can so you can sell ALL of them.

I didn't realize this was Golic's last day with ESPN.  Knew there was Yet Another Round Of Cuts, and it has seemed like they're using fewer announcing crews overall.  ESPN's been trying to get hipper, younger, and *cheaper* for some time now.

Watching A&M against UNC...UNC just smoked the A&M defense on a 70+ yard pass and run to a *wide open* receiver, after A&M tied the score.  Still very early 4th, but...A&M was trying to assert they should've been in the CFP.  Yes, well, UNC's down their top 2 running backs and top receiver.  The receiver's replacement is the one that just smoked A&M.  Even if A&M comes back to win, against a notably depleted UNC team...this isn't a performance that'd sell anyone that they should've been in the CFP.

And that led to an idle thought...hey, with Unending Football Weekend, that's the only kind of thought available.  (Today's better than yesterday, tho;  the hangover's gone.)  The UNC backs aren't out for Covid;  they decided to opt out of the bowl game to prepare for the draft.  Well, ok, but AFAIK they're still allowed to use team facilities, stay in the team dorm and probably keep their scholarships.  Honestly, tho, I'm not sure.  But if they are...I was thinking it'd have to feel really weird for everyone to have "quitters" still around the program.

On 1/2/2021 at 12:14 AM, Pariah said:

If it all means that Ohio State can knock off Alabama in the finale, I'm all for it. 

On 1/2/2021 at 5:35 AM, Starlord said:

YES!  Go Buckeyes!

As a Badger, I'm generally of the opinion that the Buckeyes can go die in a fire.  OTOH, Alabama?

I guess I can root for Ohio.  The lesser of two evils, I guess.  @55holes they may be, but they are my @55holes.

Making me look all tsundere here...