The 2020-21 College Football Thread

Pariah

On 11/15/2020 at 1:20 AM, unclevlad said:

I saw today that Rick Pitino, the current Iona basketball coach and past coach at Kentucky and Louisville, advocated for a delay in the start of the college basketball season, due to the difficulties with the pandemic and the procedures it's imposed.  I hope they take a long hard look:  15 games were impacted today;  that's after 10 last week.  And that doesn't consider games that were allowed to be played, but for which one or both teams were significantly affected.  I heard Miami very nearly missed having enough players at one position today.

So this college football season has been a massive joke...and it started when the case numbers were merely We Should Be Doing Better.  Yes, well, in many places it's HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  One out of every 300 Americans became a New Case *this week*.  It's *still* not clear to me, even as far into the college football schedule as we are, that it will finish with something close to New Years' bowls or at least the CFP.  

Lesson:  DON'T START the college basketball season in this utter MESS.

Not that they're terribly likely to listen.

Rick Pitino is still around? I thought they ran him off after his 22nd scandal

Utah live Washington 21-0 at halftime. Washington won the game 24-21.

Utah has struggled in the months of November and December in recent years. Considering that's all their season is going to be this year, that's not good news for them.

6 minutes ago, death tribble said:

I sa something about a woman playing college football in the Power 5 ? How is that being reported Stateside ?

Mostly lauded, that I saw.  She's the goalie on their womens' soccer team, and walked on as a kicker, so it's logical enough.  Plus, she only got into the game for 1 play...the second half kickoff...and the team tried a middle kick...try to get the ball bouncing behind the front line of blockers, but well in front of the return men.  Slight chance the kicking team can recover it;  if not, it doesn't give the receiving team particularly good field position or much of a chance to return it.  I suspect she was told "get off the field" after the kick...let's get real, most of the guys would outweigh her by *at least* 100 pounds.  

And it was, apparently, necessitated because the normal kickers were down due to covid or contact tracing.

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Well, I think a college in D1 did have a female kick a couple extra points about 20 years ago. Hnida was the last name.

Katie Hnida started her college career at the University of Colorado, but eventually transferred due to alleged sexual harassment by other players on the team. She ended up at the University of New Mexico, where she did in fact play in a few games, as I recall.

14 hours ago, Pariah said:

Katie Hnida started her college career at the University of Colorado, but eventually transferred due to alleged sexual harassment by other players on the team. She ended up at the University of New Mexico, where she did in fact play in a few games, as I recall.

Ahhh.  I remember that now;  that was during Gary Barnett's tenure.  Of very bad memory.

You're right;  she did.  The young lady from Vandy was the first female to play in a Power 5 conference game.  (The Power 5, for our non-American contributors, are the SEC, Pac 12, Big 10, Big 12, and ACC.  They basically own college football, and dominate college basketball.  They were expanding into other sports too, such as lacrosse, before this year.)

EDIT:  worst uni's...now there's a fun poll.  I saw chunks of that South Florida game;  the green doesn't bother me as much, altho, yeah, it's pretty bad.  Worse than Oregon, tho, IMO...is Baylor.  Especially their basketball uniforms.  ARGH!!!  They're the worst eyesores for me, that I can recall offhand.  You will, I trust, forgive me if I don't try too hard to remember many others......

26 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

Hey, now, that's my alma mater! 

Um . . . congratulations?

:winkgrin:

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

Those remind me of the Seahawks' "Action Green" kit.  Which, BTW, is gaining in popularity here despite the visuals: the Seahawks are N wins and 0 all-other-results in that kit.

Probably due to blinding the opposition in every case.

OK, so the league is turning up the dial on the farce meter.

Ravens-Steelers postponed AGAIN until Wednesday.

So at this point, my take is both the Broncos and the league botched that game.  3 delays is ludicrous.  Asking the Ravens to play a game with NO practice time *in over a week" is ludicrous.  

I think at this point, we can accuse the league of major wishful thinking...that things would go well, and not enough planning for entirely foreseeable situations like this took place.  And with respect to Pariah for considering the Packers' and Seahawks' issues with giving the Saints a freebie...here, you have to consider the impact on the Steelers.  Wednesday, then Sunday.  Not just standings, but health...I hate TNF because the turnaround isn't long enough, and Pittsburgh is being forced into that position.  And even if the game *doesn't* get played Wednesday...a massive, desperate money grab...the Steelers have lost all prep time for Washington.

I wholeheartedly agree with you where TNF is concerned. I know the PAC had (and maybe still has?) a policy requiring teams playing a Thursday night game to have a bye week the previous Saturday. If there were a way for the NFL to do that, it would be fantastic. But NFL players should not be playing on four days rest. The demands on these guys' bodies, especially in the midst of playing 16 games in 17 weeks, is just too much.

Of course, colleges shouldn't be playing at all, IMO.  Not right now.  From GopherSports.com:

Minnesota first announced a pause in all team-related activities on Nov. 24, after 15 individuals (nine student-athletes and six staff members) tested positive for COVID-19 during a five-day span from Nov. 19 - Nov. 23. The program announced 10 additional positive tests (three student-athletes and seven staff members) on Nov. 25 and an additional 15 positive tests (eight student athletes and seven staff members) on Nov. 28. 

Since Nov. 19, the program has experienced 47 positive cases, which includes 21 student-athletes and 26 staff (anyone in daily testing who is not a student-athlete) members. 

This would be a bad time commercially to call the season, but the Covid situation hasn't even hit the worst of the current wave (which is the worst it's been so far). It won't be any better come bowl season.

And has there even been word on whether the lower-tier bowl games are going forward? Since the main point of these games is tourist exposure for the host cities and travel is unwise, we could probably do without them. And how many games wouold be lost permanently if they miss 2020-21 -- and how many of those bowls will actually be missed?